• * Ammonia Level(Tap) 0.5
  • * Nitrite Level(Tap) 0
  • * Nitrate level(Tap) less than 5
  • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 8.2
  • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 8.0-8.2
  • Other Required Info:
    • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API drops
    • * Water temperature? 72 degrees F
    • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 60 gallons, a little over a year
    • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? Penguin 200 HOB and Rena Filstar Large Canister
    • * How often do you change the water and how much? once a week, 100%
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? Friday, 100%, after someone had spawned
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? 4: one 3-3.5", two 3", and one little guy about 1.5"
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime, 0.1% salt (to help my female with some scale damage from spawning)
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? Hikari Saki pellets, Cobalt brand pellets, and veggie pellets all mixed (soaked before feeding), a couple of times per day, frozen bloodworms and brine shrimp a couple times per week
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? no
  • * Any medications added to the tank? no
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. I just did a few maintenance rounds of Prazi last month
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? Fish is EXTREMELY swollen. No pineconing of scales yet, vent looks irritated and prolapsed...
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? Bottom sitting

Hola,

Buttercup is not doing well. Last Thursday, someone in my tank had spawned -- I assume he was involved but I am not sure. On Friday he seemed a little lethargic -- a bit of bottom sitting, but I thought maybe he was tired and in need of a WC. Later on that day, I did a full clean of the tank, including both filters, to get rid of the leftover nasties from spawning. He seemed to be doing just fine after the water change -- I even had a friend over that night who commented on how happy everyone looked!

On Saturday evening, I noticed he was full-on bottom sitting, but would still perk up for food.

This morning, Sunday, I saw he was extremely swollen in the body, and his vent looks irritated. Still bottom sitting, and also sitting still with his head down and body up, like perpendicular to the bottom of the tank. I was running late for work, so I put him in a 10g QT tank with 1 tsp Epsom Salt, 2 measures of Metroplex, and 1 measure of Kanaplex. I made an educated guess based on treatments I've done before (with other fish, not with this guy) and figured I could discontinue any of these things if you all see it appropriate.

I just got home from a 14-hour workday and he has not improved much, except he isn't perpendicular anymore. I have not tried to feed him anything. I didn't get any photos of the vent because I don't want to disturb him or stress him and also I'm kind of afraid to look :( (sorry). So far I don't see pineconing, but he is just huge. Maybe the scales are raised a little? What do you think? Please help, this is so scary to look at.

22293afa-79ce-4731-891f-dd920f9b27ba_zps

497de692-b339-475c-b105-6459f47d1869_zps

I'm sorry he isn't feeling well!

You're positive of his sex?

It sounds like he might have a bacterial infection - can you please get us some very clear side view pictures and one of the underside of his belly and vent please? Tell me if his abdomen is soft and squishy or more firm, like a peach.

Healing vibes to him!

I'm sorry he isn't feeling well!

You're positive of his sex?

It sounds like he might have a bacterial infection - can you please get us some very clear side view pictures and one of the underside of his belly and vent please? Tell me if his abdomen is soft and squishy or more firm, like a peach.

He has breeding stars on his pectoral fins, so I am reasonably sure he is a boy.

The sides of his abdomen are more firm, but his belly is pretty soft. 

Here are my pics:

IMG_20160201_095704723_HDR_zpsclfiqije.j

IMG_20160201_095712418_HDR_zps2dlxyxza.j

IMG_20160201_095748589_zpsxjeknotn.jpg

IMG_20160201_095805070_zpswftcz2xh.jpg

IMG_20160201_095810879_zpsr6kakqhn.jpg

That is concerning. What medications do you have on hand? Ideally I'd like to do Epsom salt and antibiotics with him and see if that helps, but the red belly and softness isn't a good sign. Do you have or can you get metro or triple sulfa?

That is concerning. What medications do you have on hand? Ideally I'd like to do Epsom salt and antibiotics with him and see if that helps, but the red belly and softness isn't a good sign. Do you have or can you get metro or triple sulfa?

I have metro...there are two measures in the 10g with epsom right now. I'm sure I can get triple sulfa but it wouldn't be until Thursday.

I also have kanaplex and some furan 2 left.

Edited by misssmountain

Your original post indicated you have kanaplex in the water also. Is this still true? Thanks!

Your original post indicated you have kanaplex in the water also. Is this still true? Thanks!

Yes, one measure. I want to change his water tonight so just let me know what all I should add in. Thanks!

Thanks for the info. Arctic Mama will let you know what to do.

I don't recommend doubling up on them at this point. Keep up with the two measures of metro and Epsom for a two week course and let's see where we are at.

Good catch Lisa! I didn't notice that in the OP (I was in a hurry and running out the door :o ).

I don't recommend doubling up on them at this point. Keep up with the two measures of metro and Epsom for a two week course and let's see where we are at.

Good catch Lisa! I didn't notice that in the OP (I was in a hurry and running out the door :o ).

Will do. 1 tsp Epsom for a 10g, correct?

Thanks for all of your help and well wishes. I just got home from work and he's passed :(

I'm sorry, sometimes it goes very quickly. That belly softness and redness is a bad sign but sometimes they can turn around.

RIP sweet fish :(

I'm sorry, sometimes it goes very quickly. That belly softness and redness is a bad sign but sometimes they can turn around.

What do you think this was? Would my other fish have been exposed? Is there anything I should treat the tank with?

I'm so sorry for the loss of your fish. Rest in peace, little angel.

AM or others will let you know if potential exposure is an issue. In the meantime, don't add any meds and you can do a complete water change on the main tank if you haven't already.

What do you think this was? Would my other fish have been exposed? Is there anything I should treat the tank with?
I see no reason to assume this was communicable. It's more likely the trauma of spawning weakened the fish and let an existing pathogen, like low levels of anaerobic bacteria that are often present in the fish, to take hold. Some fish are just delicate and can be overwhelmed quickly.