Sign in to follow this  
labecs

Laying on the bottom, cannot swim up at all...

Your fish are beautiful! You are in good hands with the mod team here.

BTW, how do you give a goldfish cod liver oil?

I gave him a couple of drops with a dropper. Just grabbed him and put it in his mouth.

You can read this.  I have never heard of another cure of a total loss of buoyancy and I don't know why this happened.  However it did include three of the things that can help treat or prevent swim bladder disorder  -- shallow water, duckweed, and exercise -- perhaps a fourth in underfeeding.  I do think his determination to eat that duckweed played a major role.

That gives me hope. I instinctively though of the exercise part, when I feed him I just try to hold him mid water to see if he makes an effort to move. he barely does, he hardly wiggles at all. I also switch sides for him. He tends to lie on his right side, so I switch him to his left thinking to develop muscles on both sides. He's pooping a little more solid today. Although at this point I don't think constipation caused this, he has been eating and not pooping close what he should have, so he has to be backed up! 

I added some duck weed after reading this, he took a couple of gulps, but then again, I had just fed him his parasite pellets.

He is so beautiful and such a fighter...I want to save him so bad  :(

Regarding the duck weed... I never used it before. I just put a pinch on the water, and in Valentino's case, I helped him swim up to get to it and some of the sinking leaves, and I put some in the large tank too. Is it okay to leave some of it floating in the tanks?  I know in Valentino's case he cannot swim up to get to it without help, but for the larger tank, is it okay? Or does it have to be just enough for them to eat at the time?

Put him in a shallow tub, something like this.  This will give him maximal opportunity for exercise.

If you put duckweed in the main tank you need to keep it from being sucked up into the filters where it makes a mess.  I can't see the filter situation in your video.  You can try a feeding station to keep the duckweed in place.

Such a gorgeous fish.  The way he drops to the bottom like that makes me think swim bladder for sure.  I'd follow shakaho's suggestions.  Fins crossed for him.  :heart

Well, here's the update...

After three days of anti parasite food, watching him every minute, he is not getting even a little better and I think will have to say goodbye to Valentino. He just can't move at all, He wiggles and makes a great effort, but he can't even advance one inch. There is no way he can feed himself, and as guilty as I feel, I cannot keep him in the hospital tank and feed him by hand the rest of his life, and see him suffer trying to move at all. No life for a fish  :(

I spoke to another guy at the aquarium place, and he suggested that as a last resort, I raise the water temp to around 85 and see if he has any kind of reaction... like causing a fever. I know it's gonna be stressful.

What do you think of that idea?

Any final far fetched suggestions I can try? 

I am praying for a miracle... but I think it's time...

Aquarium guy made a bad suggestion - that stress would likely only make things worse. If he isn't better or worse it's up to you. I just euthanized my favorite fish for swim bladder issues, it's common and stinks every time you do it :(

I wasn't going to say anything until a moderator did. I don't see how heating the tank way up would help him. Also, from my understanding, fish don't even really get fevers. I'd wait it out until he truly seems as if he's suffering. Poor guy. :(

I'm so sorry that Valentino does not appear to be getting any better. Such a well loved fish!

Should you choose to euthanize your dear Valentino, we have a video created by one of our mods on how to do this.

I'm so sorry that Valentino does not appear to be getting any better. Such a well loved fish!

Should you choose to euthanize your dear Valentino, we have a video created by one of our mods on how to do this.

Yes, I know, thank you. I saw it.

It's just painful to see him like that. He's starting to get discolorations on his tail and around the gills, and he just seems agitated making a humongous effort to move.

Aaargh! It's so hard to make a decision like this!

I recently had to put one of my goldfish down. He suffered from a swim bladder issue. I tried many, many things but they would only help temporarily. I hand fed him for a while, but I knew in the long run with my travel schedule that this was not going to work. And I decided that his quality of life was too hard on him (his swimming just kept getting worse and worse).

Once I got over a short period of sadness after euthanizing him, I felt deep down happier for him.

I know it is hard to make the choice to euthanize your fish. If you do, do know that you did your best.

I made the decision.. he's gone :bye2:

IM so sorry for your loss. RIP Valentino.

I'm sorry for your loss but I think that LFS guy had the right intentions. In your case, there was nothing more you could do.