Sign in to follow this  
gothicchick1100

sickly goldfish

First, you have to register for a photo hosting service, such as Photobucket (free).  Then upload the photos to the site.  Then you can copy the pictures and paste them in your post.  If you can't figure out how to copy and post, just tell us the site you are using and we can walk you through it.

When did you do the 7 rounds of Fluke Solve?

no idea why the last picture is so tiny

at the moment it always seems to be the two fish that sit together in the corner 

This morning the 3 of them sat like this for a few minutes

20160309_075712.jpg

20160309_074916.jpg

there's two of them side by side

nipped home in the middle of the day and they just seem sleepy, drifting in the water, the same two fish sitting.

i'm totally at my wits end, this has been going on for so long and there seems to be no reason for it. It's really making the whole hobby a frustration and taking the fun out of it as i know something is not right but i have no idea what. Completely at a loss.

This thread has become so long that I, for one, can't follow the problem.  

Do you still have the fish in medication?  If so, what?

What, if anything, have you done about your concern that you had under-dosed prazi (post # 46)?  

Have you used a salt bath with the prazi treatment?  

Have you ever done a salt dip?  That might be the right treatment for the spots on the ranchu's tail.  Spots like this often consist of excess slime coat which you can strip with a  salt dip.

Do you see any correlation between feeding time and the bottom sitting?  What about a difference between feeding days and fast days?  We used to recommend fasting fancy goldfish once a week.  After considering that wild goldfish nibble on scarce food virtually every waking hour, we have turned toward feeding small amounts of food multiple times a day.  If we see a reason to fast -- like symptoms of constipation -- we still feed leafy green veggies.

I'll make an observation about activity and tank size.  I just looked out windows at my 500 gallon and 350 gallon ponds.  Hardly any fish moved.  They hovered in one location.  Later in the day they will become more active.  They will move much of the time, but slowly meandering around the pond rather swimming back and forth like aquarium fish.  So I wonder if your fish feel sick or just relaxed and lazy.

When I look at your pictures, I see a lot of "stuff" in the aquarium.  Would you post a full tank view?

Would you please draw some tap water, test the pH, then let it stand for 12 hours, retest and report?   

Sorry for asking so much of you, but we also can't figure this out, so I'm searching for every possible clue.

I copied your last form from March 5 below.  Please copy, paste, and edit your old responses to update them.  I have included a few requests for clarification/additional info.  Once you answer these, just delete what I said.

Test Results for the Following:
* Ammonia Level(Tank): 0ppm
* Nitrite Level(Tank): 0ppm
* Nitrate level(Tank): 10-20ppm

* Ammonia Level(Tap): 0
* Nitrite Level(Tap): 0
* Nitrate level(Tap): 0
* Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines): usually 7.6-8.0   We want the current pH in the tank, tested before a water change
* Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines): 7.0

Other Required Info:
* Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API master kit w/ drops 
* Water temperature? 20 - 22c

* Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 100 gallons, 2 weeks
* What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? fluval fx6 canister (for tanks up to 1500 litres) and an eheim aquaball
* How often do you change the water and how much? 50% every week
* How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? Wednesday, 50%

* How many fish in the tank and their size? 6 fish all together, couple quite small, rest about 5 or so inches.3 weather loaches and two bristle nose .  Here we need clarification.  When you use length, please specify whether you use standard length (tip of nose to base of tail fin) or total length (tip of nose to tip of tail fin).  For goldfish, we want the variety and the standard length, of each fish. For example: "one ryukin 3" sl, 2 orandas 2 1/2"  and 4" sl".  For other species that don't have a variety of tail types, you may use total length, but always specify.  For example: "3 bristlenose plecos, each ~3" tl."  You don't have to measure, just give your best estimate.
* What do you feed your fish and how often? once a day, and a fast day once or twice a week. Repashy Soilet Green gel food, hikari lionhead pellets, frozen bloodworm, tubifex, peas and spinach  Would you indicate how often you feed each of these different foods?  

* Any new fish added to the tank? Two Bristle nose plecs  When did you add these fish?  Did you quarantine them before addition?  If so, how long was the quarantine and did you do any treatment during quarantine?
* Any medications added to the tank? 7 rounds of fluke solve
* List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. Just the fluke solve for 7 rounds

* Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? White waxy large spotscale on rancho tail that have been there for months. Never treated because I didn't know what they were and he is healthy and active either no other symptoms. He used to sit in the old tank, but so far he hasn't in the new tank
* Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? Bottom sitting, sometimes hovering, sometimes belly resting on the ground, (fins are always up, never clamped) appetite Is as normal, when they swim around as normal they look completely fine and healthy. I've also noticed occasion yawning.