Java fern advice

mjfromga

So, decided to start with what they said was an easy to care for plant. Got a new bulb for the plant. T8 5000k I believe. Should be sufficient I think? I hope so. Didn't buy any plant chemicals, don't know how to plant the actual plants, just looking for some basic startup advice. I heard some Goldies like to eat plants, but a few said Java Ferns don't taste good to many fish etc etc. I read that its best to tie the plants to something, what is best to use? Thanks for advice!

Java fern is great. My entire tank bottom is a java fern carpet. I havent changed the bulbs since i bought them. Used to have other plants but those all got eaten. I just buried the roots in my sand/substrate. I cant remember if i started the java fern in a clay pot like i did the other plants and it just grew out. Or if i started it right on the ground.

In my bettas tank i find my java fern thats planted in the sand/substrate grows way better and faster then the stuff i attached to drift wood. Those pieces have barley grown 2 extra leaves.

• Helper

Java ferns and Java moss both are easy plants with no special light or nutrient requirements, and great for a low tech system. If you do find the growth is overly slow some Excel fertilizer is an inexpensive help, but I've raised Java ferns with low lights and no extra nutrients beyond fish waste to good affect.

Anubias species are another that fares very well with goldfish, and banana plants. The latter likes moderate light but is still very easy to care for, if a bit temperamental sometimes. Crypts are my all time favorite carpeting plant that is so easy to grow. They do randomly melt of water chemistry shifts rapidly but they always grow back, it's just part of the adaptive method of the species and no big deal. With a few random sword plants this is my own personal planting schema. Java tied to drift wood, Anubis wedged in cracks, crypts for coverage, and a few banana plants and lilies for more interesting foliage. All do well in moderate light and moderate nutrients with no special requirements to thrive.

Thank you for a helpful reply. I don't have drift wood, I tried to use a piece I found, but had no way of keeping it from floating so I removed it. I can tie them to a few old ornaments or rocks. I read about excel harming fish on occasion so hopefully I won't have to use that. Thank you. If I can get the java fern to thrive, I'll add another species and see what's what. Very much hoping that I can grow a few plants for my buddies. Very new to all of this.

I have Java Ferns & Anubias....they are really low maintenance!!  I tie mine with fishing line to a piece of driftwood or a rock. After awhile the roots will attach to it & the fishing line can be clipped off! When mine get too big I just take them out and cut them in half...making TWO plants!  These to are hardy & so easy!! I have had them for years now & they are all over my tank....I can't even tell which was the original two!!!

Thanks a ton. I heard they were easy for beginners, so I went with them. I plan to quarantine them when they arrive, so hopefully all is well. Oh! Quick question. I have a few mystery snails too, will they be okay with the plants?

• Helper

Thank you for a helpful reply. I don't have drift wood, I tried to use a piece I found, but had no way of keeping it from floating so I removed it. I can tie them to a few old ornaments or rocks. I read about excel harming fish on occasion so hopefully I won't have to use that. Thank you. If I can get the java fern to thrive, I'll add another species and see what's what. Very much hoping that I can grow a few plants for my buddies. Very new to all of this.

Everyone has drift wood that floats initially unless it is one of a few species that naturally sink.

Two options:

1) silicone or epoxy it to a sheet of slate and let the weight of the rock hold it down.

2) soak it in a bucket or tub for a few weeks. When it saturates it will sink naturally, it just takes some time.

Simple :)

• Helper

Thanks a ton. I heard they were easy for beginners, so I went with them. I plan to quarantine them when they arrive, so hopefully all is well. Oh! Quick question. I have a few mystery snails too, will they be okay with the plants?

Mystery snails should leave any foliage that isn't very soft alone. They will eat things that have tender leaves like elodea and rasp on things like Amazon swords but they don't damage hardier, tougher leaves. The bigger concern is bioload, they're very messy and require a strong filtration to thrive. Be careful not to overstock while you're establishing your tank - messy fish and messy inverts is a quick way to do it. High quantities of biofiltration will help.

Yes, ma'am. I did just add lots of extra filtration with the help of a wonderful member here named Dawn. I will keep a very close eye out. They said the plants will maybe help too :) I added the old filter and sponge and added two new filters and another sponge. Anything else that may help?

Java fern can be bleach dipped to disinfect so you don't have to quarantine it.
If the driftwood you have is small enough, boil it for a bit and that forces the air bubbles out causing it to sink.