• * Nitrite Level(Tank): 0ppm
    • * Nitrate level(Tank): 10-20ppm
    • * Ammonia Level(Tap): 0
    • * Nitrite Level(Tap): 0
    • * Nitrate level(Tap): 0
    • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines): usually 7.6-8.0
    • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines): 7.0
    • Other Required Info:
      • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API master kit w/ drops 
      • * Water temperature? 70-72F
      • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 50 gals, 6-7 months
      • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? Aquaclear 110 & 70
      • * How often do you change the water and how much? every 3 days, 50-75%
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? 3 days ago, approx. 75%, water change is scheduled for later today
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? 4 other fish, 3 inches or less
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? Seachem Prime
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? Repashy Soilet Green gel food (1-2x a day), NLS Community formula pellets (1-2x a day), 1-2 cubes of FBW (every 3 days)
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? 1 tiny baby fantail in isolated/breeding tank
  • * Any medications added to the tank? n/a
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. Telescope has been previously treated for fungal infection with API PimaFix about 4-5 months ago
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? n/a
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? n/a

Hello!

I have a Black Telescope, about 3in from head to tail, which I've had for about 6 months now. He/she has a red, swollen vent that I've kept an eye on for a few days now. He/she is very active, is eating, and poop is normal. I have observed no unusual behavior.

I've tried doing some research but haven't really found anything, other than that it could be internal parasites. But i'm not sure how I would treat that. 

Here is a photo:

image1_zpsj48qu7gz.jpg

Thanks for filling out the form!

To my eye that looks like an abcess but I'm going to ping the moderating team and see if anyone else has ideas :)

Thanks for filling out the form!

To my eye that looks like an abcess but I'm going to ping the moderating team and see if anyone else has ideas :)

Thank you!

One of our excellent moderators is leaning toward internal parasites like worms being the cause of this. We have been discussing it and it looks like there are some medications you can obtain that we have recipes for medicated gel food to administer and they will give your fish the best shot. This wonderful mod, Helen, is in Australia and very busy, but she should be along when she is able to assist you further.

You couldn't be in better hands and we are all wishing your fish the best. This is a tricky situation once there appears to be some herniation but it is worth a shot to treat if the fish still seems energetic and eating.

One of our excellent moderators is leaning toward internal parasites like worms being the cause of this. We have been discussing it and it looks like there are some medications you can obtain that we have recipes for medicated gel food to administer and they will give your fish the best shot. This wonderful mod, Helen, is in Australia and very busy, but she should be along when she is able to assist you further.

You couldn't be in better hands and we are all wishing your fish the best. This is a tricky situation once there appears to be some herniation but it is worth a shot to treat if the fish still seems energetic and eating.

Thank you for the feedback! 

But this morning I found that its vent isn't red and swollen anymore! I'll keep an eye out for it if something happens like this again.

Could there be another reason why it became red and swollen?

Do you still want to try and treat for internal parasites and worms? I cannot think of a reason that would cause it other than maybe severe constipation or being eggbound - but the former would result in very thick poop and the latter wouldn't resolve like this.

What does the feces look like? Appetite? Any darting around the tank or bottom sitting?

Once the fish has a prolapse, it may come and go, getting worse with each return.  Since intestinal parasites usually cause this,  I would focus on getting rid of the parasites while the fish has no symptoms.

So parasites can cause intermittent prolapse symptoms, Sharon? Good to know!

If we can decide whether to use levamisole or fenbendazole we can make a medicated food with metro and try that. Helen is out of commission right now so if you want to take point on this that would be great, since it isn't an area ive had personal experience treating.

Edited by Arctic Mama

I have no experience with this either.    AngelsPlus has prazi flakes, that would seem ideal for treating tapeworms,  and both fenbendazole and levamisole flakes for treating nematodes.  What do you think of these?

I'm not sure how strong the flake is but in the absence of signs of infection I'm leaning toward the Levamisole flake being the best choice here for an unknown worm, instead of a fenbendazole/metro homemade gel food. I think Leva is a bit broader spectrum. But internal worms aren't my speciality, so I'd be interested to how it goes in this case and what we learn!

Poor Helen is out until her leg isn't causing so many issues. So I think it's up to us unless Alex comes back from sabattical ;)

But this morning I found that its vent isn't red and swollen anymore! I'll keep an eye out for it if something happens like this again.

OK, we've discussed this and recommend Deworm 3 here.   A medicated food gets the medicine to the intestinal worms. This treatment is gentle on the fish.

Do you still want to try and treat for internal parasites and worms? I cannot think of a reason that would cause it other than maybe severe constipation or being eggbound - but the former would result in very thick poop and the latter wouldn't resolve like this.

What does the feces look like? Appetite? Any darting around the tank or bottom sitting?

Its appetite and feces are regular, and no unusual behavior! 

OK, we've discussed this and recommend Deworm 3 here.   A medicated food gets the medicine to the intestinal worms. This treatment is gentle on the fish.

Thank you everyone! I will order the recommended medicated food and keep you guys updated  :thumbup2: