Sign in to follow this  
blackmoors

Praziquantel powder.

Lately ive had problems sourcing prazi pro etc.

So ive been looking for an alternative for fluke treatment etc.

I was told to use straight praziquantel powder.

Ok. But i then hear its quite hard to dissolve etc.

And some say to use a formalin solution? Or even vodka??

Whats anyone elses take on this?

Has anyone here used it?

If so what ratio are you using it at

Tia

hope this helps :)

Ok thanks for that.

Ill probably avoid the vodka then lol. Saves me buying any as i dont drink at all lol.

The praziquantel powder i have says to use at 10gms per 1000gal of water.

Which equates to approx 3,800Litres

So 1gm per 380L

Being a powder its already crushed. So ill just have to mix with some warm water.

sounds good :) could you link me the prazi you purchased? perhaps i can save on some $$ buying it already crushed, and i assume there is more of it in a package.

I have the powder and discovered a trick to get into disperse. Shaking the snot out of it wasn't working, but I was able to dip my fingers into it and rub them together in the water. It mixed it so much more finely to rub rub rub them than any other method. Just dip and rub until the solution is mixed.

I have the powder and discovered a trick to get into disperse. Shaking the snot out of it wasn't working, but I was able to dip my fingers into it and rub them together in the water. It mixed it so much more finely to rub rub rub them than any other method. Just dip and rub until the solution is mixed.

Use gloves if you do this! It is highly toxic to get on your skin or in any form on your body. Read here: https://www.orchardfisheries.co.uk/fluke-solve-aquarium

Use gloves if you do this! It is highly toxic to get on your skin or in any form on your body. Read here: https://www.orchardfisheries.co.uk/fluke-solve-aquarium
Thanks for the safety note! Praziquantel isn't one of those pond meds I'd worry overly much about but gloves are never a poor choice :) Edited by Arctic Mama

I don't think you'll ever get it into a consistent solution. In the past I've used a small amount of rubbing alcohol and that worked OK....at least better than vodka which I have also tried.

The 50% prazi should not hurt you.  The other 50% might be a problem.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/261779194570?_mwBanner=1

This is what I have and am using. It has no crazy warnings on it except the not-for-human-consumption one :)

The rubbing it into the water worked so well, but gloves still probably aren't a bad idea. It is human grade however.

Edited by Arctic Mama

there is no issue with not having the prazi dissolve 100%.. since the fish are able to consume prazi with no ill effects, in fact, it's good that it passes though their system (as it usually would anyhow)... only that in powder form, humans can see it. as long as the prazi sinks to the bottom and the fish ingest it whilst they forage.. no alcohol or rubbing required.

The only problems I had by not trying too dissolve it, at least a little bit was relating to ponds. It would float and end up out of the water column completely when it washed up along the rock coping edge, hence why I used rubbing alcohol. This was a tip I received from someone who has been dealing and importing koi for around 30 years . 

I need to realize I'm back on a board that relates to tanks.  :doh11:

there is no issue with not having the prazi dissolve 100%.. since the fish are able to consume prazi with no ill effects, in fact, it's good that it passes though their system (as it usually would anyhow)... only that in powder form, humans can see it. as long as the prazi sinks to the bottom and the fish ingest it whilst they forage.. no alcohol or rubbing required.

Are you certain Helen? I was under the impression that if it precipitated out it was fairly ineffective, especially for gill flukes. I'd love to have documentation or some experience proving it doesn't matter though - that would be much easier!

Are you certain Helen? I was under the impression that if it precipitated out it was fairly ineffective, especially for gill flukes. I'd love to have documentation or some experience proving it doesn't matter though - that would be much easier!

not all of it does. if you check my vid, you will see much of it in the water. the bits i talk about is the granules which did not dissolve... there IS medicine on the market in food form that contains praziquantel and i have in the past added it to medicated food (mild cocktail since we are limited with super meds here in AU) with good results.

Atm. Alot of it is floating on the surface....

The fish pick at it but not enough to consume it all.

Not sure if it will eventually sink or dissolve. ..

I will have to look into this a bit more....

I have been told to place it straight into the media area of my filter? ?

i am not sure if placing it in the filter will be effective. however, the floating particles will sink, eventually. you can add it to a container of tank/pond water and shake it up before you add it to the tank/pond. that will eliminate most if not all of the floating particles.

i am not sure if placing it in the filter will be effective. however, the floating particles will sink, eventually. you can add it to a container of tank/pond water and shake it up before you add it to the tank/pond. that will eliminate most if not all of the floating particles.

Maybe we have used different prazi products in the past, but IMO you could shake it all day in pond/ tank water and most of it will not sink, it just forms big clumps. The best method I have seen for getting it into solution is the rubbing alcohol method.....preferably the stronger rubbing alcohol if you can find it depending on your country of origin. What I would do is mix the correct amount of prazi in a zip lock bag with just enough alcohol too form a slurry. Smoosh the bag and meds between your fingers. Then take that slurry and add it to a 2L bottle with tank water and shake the jeebeebus out of it. Of course some will drop from solution and separate at that point but it's the best method I've ever seen to disperse it correctly. 

I think the addition to the filter media would work but I'm leery of putting straight meds into my biofilter. Not saying it wouldn't work, just not the method I would use.

Using that method I've described I've never had to dose prazi more than twice for full fluke eradication based on microscopic slide results. Just leave it in the water for a week with no water changes depending on water temps. 

I use Aqua Prazi. 100% Pure Praziquantel. I shake it up in a mason jar of water for several minutes. Put into tank. Some of it sinks into the water, some of it forms clumps and sits on top of the water next to the walls of the tank. Eventually the clumps dissolve, usually in about four hours or so.

Edited by LisaCGold

I think the usual recommendation for treating ponds says to put the prazi slurry into the filter for efficient distribution.  I figure I can get the same  distribution by dumping it in the pond at the filter outflow point, but that wouldn't work well in a large koi pond.