Sign in to follow this  
Joshua's Goldies

Need help with my new butterfly

Quarantine Tank

20 gal long w/ heater, sponge filter air stone, thermometer, (sand and drift wood brought in from main tank for BB, I know I will have to discard after quarantine)

Changed water two days ago dosed with, prime, salt at 2% and prazi...

Temp 82f

Ph 8

Ammonia .25

Nitrite.25

Nitrate 5-10

I bought the fish from LFS and brought him home and put him in the quarantine tank. He is the only fish in there. After a day or two he showed signs of ich so interact the water with 3% salt, and turned hat up to 82f. Kept this parameters for 7 days doing water changes daily after the 7 days I did a water change and brought salt to only 2% since I was going to slowly bring him down to 1%, that same day ( which was two days ago, I added prazi to do a preventive treatment ( he's was showing no signs of flukes) after one day I came home from work and his tail has become translucent or white I really can't tell. Not sure if this is a fungus , a reaction to prazi or just a color change.

Any insight would be helpful... I am still fairly new to gold fish keeping the right way and this was my first time quarantining a fish and thank goodness I did... I have attached pics of his tail... His tail was solid black before... 854770aaf8574062ea7a38c41958ea9f.jpgf66c6b128f4c74ec8a57d1b9704e518e.jpg10499fae7d08ee0d9f7ef353607fecca.jpg

Before salt and prazi

efed11cbfc1307c234ae36120be9df05.jpg

can you get a pick from the top view please :)

I'll put him Ina bowl when I get home and get top view

Edited by Joshua's Goldies

How big is this fish?

Could be still going through it's colour change.

You may end up with an all orange fish or an orange/white one?

Unfortunately with goldfish the colour isn't always a "given".

Ive seen quite large goldfish (10cm body) all of a sudden go into a colour change once they're in a different tank/pond.

Many things can affect this. Temp, food, water, light, tank setup (substrate,barebottom etc)

Its one of the joys of goldfish.

I can't see any fungi in the pics. It actually looks like the black pigment is changing /receding. But that's just an opinion. Keep an eye on it, being a new fish and all.

Such a beautiful fish!

Just double checking: did you mean 0.3% and not 3.0%, correct? Same for 0.2% and 0.1%.

Such a beautiful fish!

Just double checking: did you mean 0.3% and not 3.0%, correct? Same for 0.2% and 0.1%.

:bingo:

Such a beautiful fish!

I think that's what I mean one teaspoon per gal of water I equal to .1% correct ? Because I have been treating 3teaspoons per gal to replace salt removed during each water change, the last round I did 2 teaspoons each gal of water replaced...

c27b79687788a51b99286315ee956f42.jpg1c9b4ddb1745d7f51d515a6c8891001a.jpgc0f66f251f3d99999118934198786b6c.jpghttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160120/49d6e34287468268cd3edc311ccf2908.jpg[/Here are some over head shots.... Not being under the LED lights it dose look as if it more color change cause I can see a slight bit of orange appearing.... I have just read so many cases of bad stuff happening, I'm being a bit of a hypochondriac over my little fishies...

Also put him on the scale while I had him out 19g

He was the smallest in his group but had the best over all tail eyes & body of the group... I'm sure with the right grooming I can bulk him up...

He does look beautiful and I agree it like a color change. I haven't had a fish other than a calico retain black yet!

i agree with others, definitely a colour change :)

i'd be more concerned about this funky looking spot on top of the eye, where i have outlined. keep watch on that please. if it gets any bigger or worse, especially if fluid is starting to form around the base of the eye (like a flat tyre). let us know.

concern_zpsxvx7gyyd.jpg

:thumbup2::goodjob

i'd be more concerned about this funky looking spot on top of the eye, where i have outlined. keep watch on that please. if it gets any bigger or worse, especially if fluid is starting to form around the base of the eye (like a flat tyre). let us know.

12575990_10153369482300662_1980338471_n.

I saw that in that pic originally Helen, in person u can barely see it for some reason under the LED Lights everything pictures bigger and uglier than it is. U can see in the pics of him in bowl it's hardly noticeable. I will keep my eye on his eye though. Make sure it doesn't get bigger etc. and thank you

Wow! Isn't his color just gorgeous! Also, the water parameters I saw weren't good. Ammonia and Nitrite need to be kept ideally at 0 ppm. Some sensitive fish can react to these levels and it may mimic disease that isn't there. Agree that the tail doesn't look like ich (ich is spotty, his tail color is just fading). I think he will be fine :)

Be aware that the protection Prime gives against ammonia and nitrite only lasts for 48 hours.  So dose the Prime every other day, preferably during a nice big water change.

Such a beautiful fish!

I think that's what I mean one teaspoon per gal of water I equal to .1% correct ? Because I have been treating 3teaspoons per gal to replace salt removed during each water change, the last round I did 2 teaspoons each gal of water replaced...

That's correct. Just double checking because you indicated 3% originally.

Wow! Isn't his color just gorgeous! Also, the water parameters I saw weren't good. Ammonia and Nitrite need to be kept ideally at 0 ppm. Some sensitive fish can react to these levels and it may mimic disease that isn't there. Agree that the tail doesn't look like ich (ich is spotty, his tail color is just fading). I think he will be fine :)

Mjfromga I understand that ammonia and nitrite need to be 0 but if it come out of my tap with those readings other than using prime to protect the fish, my only other option is bottled water which is very impractical one for cost and two because I live in a high rise on the 12 floor lugging up 16 gal a day is not a possibility... Even though I have an elevator that would be 6 trips from the parking garage which is a block away back and forth. Is there any other solution in an uncycled quarantine tank ?

Mjfromga I understand that ammonia and nitrite need to be 0 but if it come out of my tap with those readings other than using prime to protect the fish, my only other option is bottled water which is very impractical one for cost and two because I live in a high rise on the 12 floor lugging up 16 gal a day is not a possibility... Even though I have an elevator that would be 6 trips from the parking garage which is a block away back and forth. Is there any other solution in an uncycled quarantine tank ?

Prime works fine for such a small ammonia concentration.