Sign in to follow this  
arrburr

Black Color Developing on Fins

Hey all,

Sorry to keep bombarding you all with these questions. I hope this is my last one :/

I'm currently in the process of quarantining this new ryukin I purchased 8 days ago. Since the time of purchase he's been chilling in a 10g tank at about .3% salinity. I've been doing daily 70% water changes and the filter has not cycled yet as I am getting .25ppm ammonia and 0ppm nitrites before I do my daily water change. He is sitting at 78F.

The second day after I brought him home, I noticed a few signs of ich which have now since disappeared, but I am continuing the salt for another week before I switch to PraziPro.

Yesterday I started noticing black color developing on his fins (both dorsal and tail). When I purchased him he was all white and red. I wanted to double check to see if this is just a color change or if it's actually something more serious. Does anyone have any ideas?

0sSrVeO.jpg

ogd4NVj.jpg

hello,

i find this occurs when i use my 10 gallon tank for hospital or QT also. so i changed my routine to twice daily WC or if i am in a huge rush, stick to the once daily WC and add another dose of Prime midway through to the next WC.

an additional waterchange to the daily routine should clear that blackness up.. in short, this fish is being exposed to toxins even if for a short time, and this it's external symptom to alert you. i don't think its natural colour.

Yes, just melanophore migration, likely from the ammonia or treatment. It will go away with clean water and time - it's a sign he is healing, not worsening :)

Awesome, thanks for the help. Doing a water change twice daily is out of the question due to my work schedule, but I'll start adding some Prime to the tank before I leave for work in the mornings.

Also consider feeding lightly during qt to help with water quality.

Also consider feeding lightly during qt to help with water quality.

Yeah I'll make sure I do that. Thanks!