Sign in to follow this  
fancyblackgold

Entire tank attacked by something!

I'm having a big problem with my 175 gallon tank, which holds 8 fancy goldfish from 3 cm til 20 cm in size.

It all started just before Christmas, when my oranda Marlin (25 cm, 250g+) started to stay in the top of the tank and hardly move. I did a salt bath and increased my weekly water change from 1 to 2 - doing as much as 80% change per time. He didn't have any external signs of being sick, other than the lack of movement. He still showed signs of eating and pooping. When I do water changes I often remove the fish, to better clean the tank (lots of algae and poop). Normally Marlin would be almost impossible to find, but he hardly put up a fight. Morning of the 26th I found him dead in the tank. Still not external to see, but bleeding for the gills and mouth,

I did a 95% water change and filter cleaning that day. Now 14 days later and there is something terrible wrong in my tank. My biggest fish, Lio the lionhead, is having "zits" on his wen that when pressed extrudes white stuff and then blood. He has several "holes" in his wen and some are near the gills (his wen covers the gills). He has been acting like Marlin did, being in the top of the tank, not moving, showing little interest in food or the other fish. Normally he is the first to greet me at the tank!

Now 3 of my ranchu/lionhead are having these holes in their wen! I did a 95% water change, scrubbed the tank and gave all 8 fish a 30 min salt bath at 10%. I remove the gravel in my tank as this has been an issue for me before, where it helped greatly to remove it.

A few pictures of it:

P1090635.jpgP1090634.jpgP1090633.jpgP1090637.jpgP1090640.jpg

It is very tough to see in the pictures of the others, so these are the best. But very similar on the other two wenned fish that I have.

The list:

• Test Results for the Following:
    • * Ammonia Level(Tank)
    • * Nitrite Level(Tank)
    • * Nitrate level(Tank)
    • * Ammonia Level(Tap)
    • * Nitrite Level(Tap)
    • * Nitrate level(Tap)
    • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
    • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
    • Other Required Info:
      • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? Strips - JBL
      • * Water temperature? 24 celsius
      • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 175 gallon, long. Been running for about a year
      • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? FX5 and FX6 - 20liter filterbucket, 2350 litres per hour.
      • * How often do you change the water and how much? Once a week, 70-100%
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? Did one Wednesday, and one today (Sunday) 
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? 8 (was 9), ranging from 3 cm to 20 cm
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? I use Aquasafe by Tetra with each water change.
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? Feed 3-4 times a day. Mix of Repharsy and 4-5 different types of pellets.
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? 4 new fish was added just before Marlin died (I didn't make the connect then), after 1 month in QT. Nothing showed up with them before now.
  • * Any medications added to the tank? None at this point.
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. Never treated the entire tank with any medication, but all 8 fish spend 30 mins in a 10% salt bath, and it seemed to have "quicken" them up.
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? My two white pandamoors have had a few red streaks. 
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? They were a bit more inactive. Lio stayed at the top of the tank a lot. Very little interest in food. A few stringy white poops.

I started this post as I was doing a water change, so I haven't tested the water. Did one last week and it showed a little nitrate and ammonia.

I talked to the guy I bought the 4 fish from and he is sending me some Acriflvain and albaguine medicine. Is there anything else I can do?

Thank you in advance.

The first two pictures look like some kind of "bug" is on the wen.  Does it look like that in reality?  You could try salt dips and swabbing the wounds with iodine.  How did you prepare the 10% salt solution?  Are you sure it wasn't 1%?

I'll ask the mod team to look at this.

Edited by shakaho

Hope your Goldfish feel better.

The first two pictures look like some kind of "bug" is on the wen.  Does it look like that in reality?  You could try salt dips and swabbing the wounds with iodine.  How did you prepare the 10% salt solution?  Are you sure it wasn't 1%?

It looks like zits and popped zits-wounds. That is the best way I can describe it. The bleeding has stopped after I did the salt bath and they are more active. But Lio, who is affected the hardest, has more white spots on his wen today.

I'll try and get some better pictures of it today. 

I put 250 grams of salt in 25 liters of water.

Talking to other keepers, I think it might be flukes? Never treated the tank for it and just added new fish - could this be the culprit?

A few more pictures:

P1090661.jpgP1090654.jpgP1090648.jpgP1090645.jpg

You should definitely treat for flukes.  Skin lesions caused by flukes can become the site of  bacterial infections. 

Oh good luck. Hope you can sort it out ASAP

It looks like zits and popped zits-wounds. That is the best way I can describe it. The bleeding has stopped after I did the salt bath and they are more active. But Lio, who is affected the hardest, has more white spots on his wen today.

I'll try and get some better pictures of it today. 

I put 250 grams of salt in 25 liters of water.

That's 10 g/liter = 1% (one liter of water = 1000g, 10g/1000g = 1g/100g = 1%)   Excuse the long chain of equalities.  That's the way I think.  :)

Things are looking much better today. The fish are overall active and Lio has started to eat and most of the growths on his wen are gone.

I'm waiting on Fluke Solve and will treat the entire tank with it to rid of any additional buildup.

Will also be stocking up on a bunch of medications - just in case :) 

Glad to hear they are doing better!!!!

You should definitely treat for flukes.  Skin lesions caused by flukes can become the site of  bacterial infections. 

Quick question. I just added the Fluke Solve to the tank, should I do a water change after 24 hours to remove it, or is it OK to leave in it?

I don't understand.   I don't know the product.  Do the instructions say remove it after 24 hours?  If so, do it.

I've been reading up on the product, and I don't believe it necessary to remove it after 24 hours.  They claim the product kills the flukes in 24 hours, so you have to turn off UV and remove carbon for 24 hours for it to work.   

No instructions called for large water changes after you use it in a pond without UV and carbon, and most discussions involved ponds.  So I'm sure it's safe to leave it in.