Sign in to follow this  
bedunton

EMERGENCY! Goldfish seriously wounded

Hello!

I just came home from a day out to find my 5 year old goldfish stuck to my filter tube. I unplugged the filter and he has a cut on his rear. He is floating, but alive. There is blood. Is there ANYTHING I can do to save him? Please help! He is my baby!

put him in QT, fill out the D&D form and post a few pics. We will guide you from there. Do you have salt or any meds on hand?

Thank you! 

He lives alone. Can I keep him in his tank?
I have the following meds on hand:

Hydrogen Peroxide
Salt
Melafix
API Fungus Cure
APIFuran
Ick Cure
API Stress Coat
Voogle

D D Form:

• Test Results for the Following:
    • * Ammonia Level(Tank) 0.0
    • * Nitrite Level(Tank)0.0
    • * Nitrate level(Tank)  less than 10ppm? 
    • * Ammonia Level(Tap) 0
    • * Nitrite Level(Tap)0
    • * Nitrate level(Tap) less than 10ppm
    • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.3
    • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) not sure.
    • Other Required Info:
      • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API Drops
      • * Water temperature? room temp. 70?
      • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 20 gals running for a year
      • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? aqua clear
      • * How often do you change the water and how much? weekly 25%
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? yesterday. 25%
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? 1 fish 5"
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? PRime
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? Peas, Shrimp, Soaked sinking dry pellets. every other day
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? no
  • * Any medications added to the tank? no
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? cut
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? floating

I have applied hydrogen peroxide to the wound. I am working on uploading photos..

It is so hard to get a photo due to location of the wound..The peroxide seems to have stopped the bleeding, but the fish is still floating. He will swim every now and again, but he quickly retreats to the top to lay on his side, lifeless. 

Poor fishy! Just keep calm. Try to set up a QT - if you are going to use salt to keep the wounds clean, you'll go through it a lot faster in the 20 gallon.

I had one run through the filter intake, right to the impeller :yikes and he is just fine! :)

As for the pics, try taking a video. I also have a hard time with pics but find that if i do a video i can focus more clearly (sometimes i even screencap). Maybe get him swimming, and then lift him again, trying to get him in the light.

I would salt to 0.1% and let him rest. Was he showing ny symptoms in the past few days? I healthy fish doesn't get stuck to the filter intake. :idont.

He has swim bladder issues. I fed him a pea this morning, so perhaps he was a little bloated and got caught in the filter water purge..and then got his long tail stuck in the filter. I think it was just bad luck..He's resting towards the top now..(with the filter off!) will do another peroxide treatment before bed..

You can certainly use his tank, but please start with a very large water change.  Ideally 100% but if you don't want to remove him, take the water down until it barely covers him then refill with fresh water with 0.1% salt (1 teaspoon) per gallon.   While a 25% weekly water change has apparently worked well for you so far, it allows a lot of pollutants to accumulate which can be harmful to a fish.

Ideally (again) you should remove the gravel until he recovers.  When we use a QT, we always go bare bottom and use very large daily water changes to minimize infections.

A hydrogen peroxide swab makes a good first step, but repeating this can produce more tissue damage.  Instead use betadine (iodine) for subsequent gentle swabs.  

My I suggest going to a health food store and find colloidal silver the highest you can...... you can place it in the tank as its a natural antibiotic and will aid in healing :)

Thanks everyone for your kind words and helpful advice! I did a large water change (about 80%) this morning. I will go buy some iodine tomorrow. He is still resting on his side, but he will occasionally swim about the tank. I have a battery operated bubbler going in place of his filter right now. I think he is honestly just exhausted still from yesterday..
The wound is no longer bleeding and the redness has gone down. Unfortunately his tail fin is a bit tattered from the accident, but I'm sure it will heal with time. I want him to be comfortable and heal peacefully...

Hi KoKo,

I purchased some sovereign silver today. Do you (or anybody else with experience using this supplement) have any advice or directions in terms of administration?

Thank you!

That's Koko's specialty - she'll help you with dosing shortly.

Hi KoKo,

I purchased some sovereign silver today. Do you (or anybody else with experience using this supplement) have any advice or directions in terms of administration?

Thank you!

Hey, TD typing for Koko here, she says, If your silver solution is 10ppm then 50 drops, if a higher ppm adjust accordingly. :)

Thank you all!

An update-fish is recovering well. Daily water changes of 80%, adding salt accordingly, and minimizing the filter usage has allowed for him to rest and heal well! His fins are already mending themselves and his puncture wound is closed. I will add the silver solution tonight. Thank you all for helping me. My fish and I greatly appreciate you all and this forum!

I just came home from work to my golfing laying on his side with what looks like internal bleeding in the shape of a large purple/red spot by his dorsal fin. He is breathing, but not steadily..it is sporadic. Is this the end?

He was fine this morning.. great even. Eating normally and swimming and on the mend. I don't know what to do..he's on his side lifeless, breathing strangely, and shaking.

Oh no :( I'm sure someone will swing by soon to give you a hand. I hope it works out

Thanks for all the help everyone.. After nearly 6 years it looks like I'm going to be putting my little buddy to rest. The guy lived in NC, IL, and CA. He always greeted me when j came home and gave the best high fives.

I'm so thankful for his forum and all your help in keeping him healthy and happy for so long. You all rock.

We are chatting about it on the back end, hang in there.