Sign in to follow this  
wteoh1

Bottomless fish tank ok?

Just wandering if having a fish tank with no substrate or gravel is fine? I only have 3 driftwood and 1 anubis plant in my 60gal rite now.

Yes, we call that a bare bottom tank. They are perfectly okay. In fact, there are many people on here who prefer them.

Yes, we call that a bare bottom tank. They are perfectly okay. In fact, there are many people on here who prefer them.

Thanks! Does it limit the ability for goldfish to graze though?

They will pick at the driftwood and plant.  You can glue some anubias to your driftwood to add more interest for them.  :D

Easy to take care of!!!!!

One thing I'll say is using gravel is a terrible idea. Even after a thorough vacuum it will still be full of poop. Bare bottom only for me.

One thing I'll say is using gravel is a terrible idea. Even after a thorough vacuum it will still be full of poop. Bare bottom only for me.

I couldn't agree more. I've tried several times with gravel/sand, but every time I end up with sick fish due to the spike in ammonia from the poop.

I like using gravel, and right now I have river rocks at the bottom. :D
It's all up to you. You have to learn how to deal with whatever you choose, but I don't think one is specifically better than another. 

I prefer bare bottom primarily for ease of clean up.

I like bare bottom or sand best :)

(When I first saw this thread my sleep deprived brain thought "Bottomless tank!? How would it hold water?! That wouldn't work! That's not okay at all! What?!" :rofl)

(When I first saw this thread my sleep deprived brain thought "Bottomless tank!? How would it hold water?! That wouldn't work! That's not okay at all! What?!" :rofl)

XD I thought this as well!

XD I thought this as well!

Feels better to know I'm not the only one!