Sign in to follow this  
Sieta

Red veins, fin deteration,

I'm almost positive I was measuring the salt correctly, unless I messed up the partial estimated amount on what was still in the tank after a water change. But these last floating symptoms didn't present until I had put the last of the salt in.

This time I did not add any back in.

As for constipation there would be an occasional long sometimes stringy poop but never consistently, also an occasional white or hollow poop but again never consistently. The majority of the time they all pooped regularly in consistent short fat poops. Once the first dose of prazipro went in they all turned into massive pooping machines.... Sitting here now Stripes has a stringy white poop this morning.

His belly does not look as angry as it did the other day, its a lighter shade of pink now, with excess slimecoats or fungus looking stuff peeling off around it.

I feel so bad, I just had no idea they had flukes, they were never flashing or yawning, Lily has upturned Gill covers and they always looked nice and healthy. The only problem I had ever had with them was cloudy eye when I had the massive nitrate spike a few months ago. A couple times after a fresh water change the cloudy eye would come back for a couple days then go away again.so I was thinking it was something with the water supply.

They also didn't act like anything was wrong at all the last time I dosed them with prazi. I was so determined to do everything right with these little guys and now I'm just lost.

They are clamped up again this morning.

I'll post a video shortly.

OK here's the video, they are staying up much better today.

But still bottom sitting. And I don't know how they have so much crap in their water I thought at first it was the salt in the water column but after I did two changes yesterday I didn't add any more in and its still full of gunk :(

They're beautiful fishies. Good luck, i hope they start feeling better soon. You're in good hands :)

ok, so leave the salt at 0.2% and feed peas now that they are at the bottom. continue with prazi treatment. feed peas until their poop displays a nice green pea colour (soften and skin the peas).

it's good news that they are no longer experiencing floaty issues and that the blood smear is slowly going away :) prazi and salt are good for that. salt speeds up wounds and surface problems by keeping the environment sterile.

i watched the video. your fish look good :) good colour, movement etc... given the circumstances. i couldn't help but chuckle a little since my fish behaved the same way

prazianyone_zps752ee404.jpg

if i show you the video (if i can find it, i will post it for you.) of the others during their prazi treatment, they behaved just like yours did at least for a few weeks.

here..prazi treatment reaction.

Thank you so much for putting my mind at ease. I guess I'm freaking out over nothing. My husband tells me all the time I'm too neurotic to have fish no matter how many years we've kept them lol.

I've only had my goodies about a year though.

Again thank you so much. I can expect this to go on another week or so?

I'll feed my guys their peas straight away. I hadn't gave them any since I started their treatments.

no problem :)

as to how long it will go on like this for? no-one really knows. i guess we can be happy that there is no lopsided floaty issues at the moment and that they're reacting to the prazi as badly as mine did, which is good because all mine survived the 6 weeks course. that video is from 2010, so i can't really remember how long it took them to behave normally during treatment. perhaps 2-3 weeks. all i know is that they were a sad sight for some time. lol.

They have all ate a few peas now except Stripes, he still won't eat

would you like to try feeding like this? it's worked for me and others in the past.

I actually watched him swim up and grab a pea out of the water column this morning but he spit most of it back out. Would this still be the best option for him with the syringe?

was the pea soft enough? ie, are you able to mash it with no real effort between your thumb and finger? or might it have been too hard?

then you may want to try the syringe. if you saw your fish try to eat, it means the appetite is there and something may bothering him in the mouth. if this is the case, then the food needs to be softer (as shown in the video). syringe feeding is pretty much the last resort and there is no harm in trying.

i think in my vid i used NLS pellets crushed and watered down. same concept, just add a little bit of tank water to 2-3 peas on a plate, mash down with the back of a spoon to form a runny paste and place it into a syringe, then feed. don't worry if he spits most of it out. take note of how much he may have eaten and if it's just a little bit, try again in a few hours and so on. until you're satisfied that he's eaten enough to keep his strength up. if this works, then it will be only a matter of time before he starts feeding on his own again. Rocky (in the vid) was syringe fed for about 4 days before she accepted food on her own.

the most important advice i can offer is do not cover his gills with your hand and be sure that he is comfortable to sit in your hand using a very loose grip. if you need to tighten your grip, make sure that you don't do that around his gills. this will cause him to panic and you won't be able to feed.

Excellent news! I went up to get him and try the hand feeding, and as I was reaching down to get him I knocked a pea off the filter intake and he swam up and ate it on his own! Maybe I missed one and it was too firm earlier? Or maybe he is feeling better hopefully.

Also those worms I mentioned earlier are some sort of insect larvae I believe. They seem to be hatching in the sand and fighting their way up and now there are tiny little white flying insects under my tank lid....

awesome :) lets be optimistic and lean towards that he's feeling better ;) fingers crossed :)

i still will not be concerned about the insect larvae. in their natural pond environment, they eat just about anything wriggling around in the water. so just feed them less since they have a source of food in the tank at the moment. if you would rather they not be there, you can try adjusting the water temperature, sometimes insects die off when their ideal climate is tampered with.

So they still just up my creep factor then >.<.

Again I can't thank you enough for all your help. I assume I need to keep an eye on how much he eats for the next little bit? I'll start the next round of prazipro on Sunday.

it's ok, just feed them one meal less a day or reduce the amount of food you give them with each feed, keep this going for a few days. this might encourage the fish to eat more of the larvae and perhaps that way, the matter will be dealt with a lot sooner.

keep us updated as often as you like :) a video of them either on the day or the next day of the new prazi round would be great :)

I just did two water changes and removed the sand in an attempt to get the tank as clean as possible for them. As soon as I filled it back up. Stripes and Lily started going sideways and even completely belly up this time getting stuck to the filters...

I'm uploading the videos it will take a few.

At this point there can't be any salt left in the water.

At this point strips has stopped and swimming fine for a few minutes and back to bottom sitting, lily however is still getting thrown all over the tank.

This makes floating and swimming issues for those same two after the water changes both yesterday and today, temp was matched like usual etc... Today did have the added stress of me removing most of the sand but with maybe the massive snail die off from the salt? The tank was unbelievably dirty, I felt trying to get it as clean as possible was the best route. Did I screw up and put too much stress on them?

there has been something wrong with my internet for a few days. i can't play the vids, but i will report your video post to the team and see if anyone there is available to watch the video and post their opinion.

Hun One thing Im worried about you never posted your Taps Ph only the tank.... If you did a massive change with a Ph swing in it, this can cause them to go all floaty on you....

Helen one fish is red on its belly fins, and two of them are floating around the tank.....I think we got a bacteria infection :o

Hun One thing Im worried about you never posted your Taps Ph only the tank.... If you did a massive change with a Ph swing in it, this can cause them to go all floaty on you....

Helen one fish is red on its belly fins, and two of them are floating around the tank.....I think we got a bacteria infection :o

here is a pic from page 1.. is that the same fish with the blood smears (the yellow one)?

Photo%20Collage%20Maker_uuHuuN_zpsukuwag

sieta, what antibiotics do you have at hand, anything with Metronidazole in it?

Yes hun those are the two in the video that are in bad shape, and yup look about the same too... The red belly fin fish is upside down on the tank floor.... kinda wants to stay there the other is floating around the tank upside down but once in a while turns upright :)

I hope I helped ya :teehee