A Few Questions about QT

Hey everyone,

After my first set of dead fish I've learned my lesson and decided to set up QT tanks for my new fish. On Saturday I purchased a ranchu and butterfly from one store and a ryukin from another. The QT tanks are set up as follows:

Ranchu/Butterfly:

- 29 gallon

- cycled filter (I had it cycled from my previous tank, and the tank was running empty for about 1.5 months but when I tested the water after 24 hours it was at .5ppm ammonia)

- 80% water change after 24 hours

- .1% salt with new water change

- poop looks brown and short with some air pockets in between

Ryukin:

- 10 gallon

- uncycled filter

- 80% water change after 24 hours

- .1% salt with new water change

- poop looks brown and short

My plan is to increase the salt to .3% over the next day or so and then maintain it for 1 week before administering prazi for a week. I had a few questions that weren't fully addressed in the QT megathread:

1. How often should I feed my fish in QT?

2. For the cycled tank, what % water change should I be doing? I'm planning on still doing daily water changes with tests, but I'm not certain what %. I know the megathread suggested daily 50%-100% for uncycled tanks. 

3. When I do my water changes what is the procedure for readding the salt to get it back to what it was originally? Is it 1tsp per gallon of water removed for .1% during the water change and 3 tsp per gallon of water removed for .3%? This math part is very tricky to me.

4. My ryukin is starting to show signs of ich, although seems very active. Should I increase my salt treatment of the ryukin from 1 week to 2 weeks and then apply the prazi after?

5. After the first feeding, the ranchu started going nuts pushing the butterfly all over the place anytime it got anywhere near the food. (Interestingly enough my previous ranchu was a bully too). I decided to put him in a separate breeder box for a little bit until both of them can get used to each other. Right now he's been in there for 24 hours. Is this excessive? Should I let him go back with the butterfly? I'm worried I'm stressing the ranchu out by putting him in the box and I'm worried I'm stressing the butterfly out by putting it with the ranchu.

Thanks so much for your help!

My plan is to increase the salt to .3% over the next day or so and then maintain it for 1 week before administering prazi for a week. I had a few questions that weren't fully addressed in the QT megathread:

1. How often should I feed my fish in QT?

Just as you would normally.

2. For the cycled tank, what % water change should I be doing? I'm planning on still doing daily water changes with tests, but I'm not certain what %. I know the megathread suggested daily 50%-100% for uncycled tanks. 

Since you got 0.5 ppm ammonia with that filter, it isn't fully cycled anymore, so try trial and error.  Start by changing 10 gallons daily.  Read ammonia and nitrite before your next water change.  If it comes out zero for both, change less water this time.  Repeat daily, but don't go below 3 gallons changed.  If you get a non-zero ammonia/nitrite reading, increase the size of your water change.

3. When I do my water changes what is the procedure for readding the salt to get it back to what it was originally? Is it 1tsp per gallon of water removed for .1% during the water change and 3 tsp per gallon of water removed for .3%? This math part is very tricky to me.

That's right.  If you change water with buckets, just add the salt to the buckets of new water.

4. My ryukin is starting to show signs of ich, although seems very active. Should I increase my salt treatment of the ryukin from 1 week to 2 weeks and then apply the prazi after?

Yes.  Ich kills, so handle it first.

5. After the first feeding, the ranchu started going nuts pushing the butterfly all over the place anytime it got anywhere near the food. (Interestingly enough my previous ranchu was a bully too). I decided to put him in a separate breeder box for a little bit until both of them can get used to each other. Right now he's been in there for 24 hours. Is this excessive? Should I let him go back with the butterfly? I'm worried I'm stressing the ranchu out by putting him in the box and I'm worried I'm stressing the butterfly out by putting it with the ranchu.

I that seems rather long.  Try to separate them for feeding and put them back together when the food is gone.

0.3 % salt should be maintained for two weeks straight at a temperature in the mid seventies to eradicate all stages of ciliated protozoans such as Ich.  I would finish this before starting the Prazi.  If you are intending on using Prazipro liquid, do it without salt to ensure efficacy.  Do at least 2 rounds of Prazi to catch the eggs and larvae.

Edited by Jared

• 2 weeks later...

0.3 % salt should be maintained for two weeks straight at a temperature in the mid seventies to eradicate all stages of ciliated protozoans such as Ich.  I would finish this before starting the Prazi.  If you are intending on using Prazipro liquid, do it without salt to ensure efficacy.  Do at least 2 rounds of Prazi to catch the eggs and larvae.

I'm coming up on the 2 week mark in a few days, and I wanted to get ready to do my Prazipro treatments. I'm planning on following praziquantel protocols outlined on this page but I was wondering a few things.

1. Do I really need to do a 40 day treatment, and if not, how long should I do it for? All of the fish I purchased are not showing any signs of flukes. They all seem pretty healthy and swimming around. None of them stick to the bottom of the tank and none of them have clamped fins.

2. My filters have not fully cycled yet. How does this affect my PraziPro dosage if I still need to do daily water changes?

3. One of the filters I have is a very cheap Aqueon QuietFlow. Unlike the other filter I have, there is no separate biomedia and carbon. This is what the filter cartridge. Once I start applying the Prazi, do I just completely remove the filter cartridge? Is this problematic since this is the only thing inside the filter?

Thanks for all the help, I really appreciate it. I can't wait for this quarantine stage to be over!

I'm coming up on the 2 week mark in a few days, and I wanted to get ready to do my Prazipro treatments. I'm planning on following praziquantel protocols outlined on this page but I was wondering a few things.

1. Do I really need to do a 40 day treatment, and if not, how long should I do it for? All of the fish I purchased are not showing any signs of flukes. They all seem pretty healthy and swimming around. None of them stick to the bottom of the tank and none of them have clamped fins.

If you have a fish with ich, maybe.  Please show a picture of the affected fish.  We sometimes have people wrongly diagnose ich.  You need to complete the ich treatment before starting prazipro.  Two or three full weeks of prazi treatment after the ich treatment should do.

For all practical purposes, all goldfish have flukes.  The ones that show no symptoms have developed an immunity to their resident flukes.  Stress can weaken the immune system and make the fish sensitive to those flukes.  Also, fish that live together for a long time will all carry the same strain of flukes and have immunity to that strain, but have no immunity to other healthy fish that share a different strain of flukes.  Since you got your fish from two different stores, without prazi, when you put them together they could all show bad fluke symptoms.

2. My filters have not fully cycled yet. How does this affect my PraziPro dosage if I still need to do daily water changes?

Just add prazipro to the buckets of fresh water at the recommended dose.  

3. One of the filters I have is a very cheap Aqueon QuietFlow. Unlike the other filter I have, there is no separate biomedia and carbon. This is what the filter cartridge. Once I start applying the Prazi, do I just completely remove the filter cartridge? Is this problematic since this is the only thing inside the filter?

If you can cut the cartridge and shake out the carbon, you can use it.  Alternatively, you can replace the cartridge with other filter medium, as tithra shows

(She also has a part 2.)

Thanks for all the help, I really appreciate it. I can't wait for this quarantine stage to be over!

If you have a fish with ich, maybe.  Please show a picture of the affected fish.  We sometimes have people wrongly diagnose ich.  You need to complete the ich treatment before starting prazipro.  Two or three full weeks of prazi treatment after the ich treatment should do.

Here's a picture of the ryukin who was originally showing signs of ich the first 2 days I had him. There don't seem to be any more signs of ich. He's been sitting in a .3% salinity 10g tank at 78F for 12 days now. I do a 70% water change every day, and I was planning on stopping the salt treatment and beginning the Prazi treatment on day 15.  From what I had heard on another thread, the black developing on the back fins was probably due to my small quarantine tank and isn't something to be too concerned about.

Z1qbu9H.jpg

As for my other 2 fish, they are currently quarantined in a 29g and have not shown any signs of illness. They are active and swim throughout the entire tank. They too are on day 12 and I was planning on switching to do Prazi starting on day 15. Would these need a different Prazi treatment schedule than the ryukin that showed ich before?

For all practical purposes, all goldfish have flukes.  The ones that show no symptoms have developed an immunity to their resident flukes.  Stress can weaken the immune system and make the fish sensitive to those flukes.  Also, fish that live together for a long time will all carry the same strain of flukes and have immunity to that strain, but have no immunity to other healthy fish that share a different strain of flukes.  Since you got your fish from two different stores, without prazi, when you put them together they could all show bad fluke symptoms.

Thanks for clearing that up. I'll definitely make sure I keep them separate until both Prazi treaments are complete.

Got it. Should I follow the same rule as I have been doing with the salt? ie: If I remove 50% of the tank water, I replace only 50% of the dosage for that tank size?

If you can cut the cartridge and shake out the carbon, you can use it.  Alternatively, you can replace the cartridge with other filter medium, as tithra shows

(She also has a part 2.)

That video was really helpful. I'll probably just cut out the carbon from the cartridge. 

Thanks again for the help.

Here's a picture of the ryukin who was originally showing signs of ich the first 2 days I had him. There don't seem to be any more signs of ich. He's been sitting in a .3% salinity 10g tank at 78F for 12 days now. I do a 70% water change every day, and I was planning on stopping the salt treatment and beginning the Prazi treatment on day 15.  From what I had heard on another thread, the black developing on the back fins was probably due to my small quarantine tank and isn't something to be too concerned about.

One should continue the salt for a week after the last ich spot disappears.  Black appears when healing an injury or burn (such as ammonia).  As long as you have ammonia reading zero -- or under 0.5 ppm if you use Prime water conditioner -- the fish should suffer no more burns.

Z1qbu9H.jpg

Got it. Should I follow the same rule as I have been doing with the salt? ie: If I remove 50% of the tank water, I replace only 50% of the dosage for that tank size?

Yes, that is the same thing.

• Helper

This thread should be stickied! You asked many great questions other people have had, too, and had two of the smartest people on this site walk you through it. Sticky sticky!