Sign in to follow this  
xStatic

WHAT is THIS!?!

First off, I apologize if this is in the wrong section. 

Now, on Thursday I began treating my goldfish with Hikari Prazipro in preparation for his eventual move to my new bigger aquarium. I wanted to make sure he was as healthy as possible and free from parasites before I moved him into his brand new home. I'm SO GLAD I decided to do this, because tonight after I was finished with my daily water change I noticed this THING floating in the tank water. I quickly grabbed a pipette and sucked it up and put it into a test tube (I know I'm weird for just having test tubes in my house). 

It's clearly some type of disgusting worm, and it's about 2" long which is longer than the body length of my little goldfish  :yikes

F61E5434-222E-45DA-8B61-AC66E6AC80F7_zps

12AA9919-2991-4661-8C38-49D9BA2F646A_zps

It looks like it's kind of flat and wide on one end and pointed on the other end. Does anyone know what it is??? I'm assuming I should just continue the prazipro treatment? I'm doing three days with meds and two days without, how many cycles do you suggest I go through? Because my tank still isn't cycled I have to water change every day so I've been changing 90% of the water (with gravel vacuuming) every day, and then I read the whole dose of prazipro to the tank after the water change. Except for the two days when I water change without adding any of the prazipro back into the water. 

So nasty  :cry

Sorry I forgot to fill out the list!

* Ammonia Level(Tank) 0
* Nitrite Level(Tank) 0
* Nitrate level(Tank) 5
* Ammonia Level(Tap) 0
* Nitrite Level(Tap) 0
* Nitrate level(Tap) 5
* Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) pH ~7.5
* Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) pH ~7.5
Other Required Info:
* Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API Freshwater Master Kit
* Water temperature? 72 Fahrenheit
* Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 10 gallons, about a month
* What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? marineland penguin 75, 20gal sponge filter with tetra 40 gallon air pump
* How often do you change the water and how much? Usually once a day 30-50%, lately 90% per day
* How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? less than an hour ago, 90%
* How many fish in the tank and their size? 1 fantail w/ 1.5-2" body, about 3" overall
* What kind of water additives or conditioners? Seachem Prime
* What do you feed your fish and how often? Aqueon color enhancing goldfish granules, 4-5 pellets twice a day. 
* Any new fish added to the tank? no
* Any medications added to the tank? PraziPro added Thursday - Saturday
* List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.

*90% water change Thursday night, added PraziPro Thursday night.
*90% water change Friday night, added PraziPro Friday night.

*90% water change Saturday night, added PraziPro Saturday night.

*90% water change Sunday night, did NOT add PraziPro, found dead worm floating in the water minutes after water change was completed.

Looks almost like an empty casing from a poop to me. My goldfish expel them occasionally when stressed, which prazi can do.

If you pipette it onto a dark flat surface, you should be able to get it in focus so we can see some detail.  As Taryl said, poop casings can look remarkably worm-like.   Can you see striations?