Sign in to follow this  
I-Goldfish

What fish?

Hello everyone,

I used to own a small 15L? maybe tropical tank with 3/4 male guppies however this did not work out very well in the end and ultimately the tank was just too small even for the small fish.

However i do miss having a tropical tank in my games room so i am going to buy a bigger tank although don't want it exceeding 80Litres MAX really due to space.

I don't really have much knowledge on stocking tropical fish and what breeds can live together etc. so for those that do i was wondering if you could give me some ideas of stocking ideas and what size tank would be needed to accommodate them. I want a colourful tank with mid low and higher swimming levels (not so keen on guppies) if possible if not don't worry. 

Ps. low(ish) maintenance and easy to keep fish would be a BIG plus :rofl

Rainbows are nice fish :) Maybe some rainbows and German rams? Usually it's about an inch of fish per gallon of water. So, maybe 3 rams and 3 rainbows and 3 cory cats? I would recommend a 25-29 gallon tank for all of those. I think it would look pretty :teehee If you keep the pH 7.0 and the water parameters stable the fish should thrive nicely in there. :) That's what I would do anyway :peeka or maybe a giant school of neon tetras and glow fish :P

You could do a school or 2 of smaller tetras with some corys, maybe some danios of some type?

You could do a school or 2 of smaller tetras with some corys, maybe some danios of some type?

Oh yeah, what size tank roughly for 2 schools corys and danios? 

Just corys and danios?

For corys they do best is school's of at least 5 although they can live in smaller groups. Danios are simular and do best in larger groups. So I'd say for 5 of each around 20gal ewould be perfect. You could cut the corys down to 3 and pull a 15.

That's my two cents.

Your plan for 80L max would be a good size.  That's 20 Gallons which would do you that.  I would make the corys a small school like 3 and bump up the numbers of the other fish. 

If It was my 20gallon tank, and I had it heavily planted and could maintain perfect levels.

I would get

6 or so Cardinal tetras (or neons, cardinals are just prettier but cost more)

3 milini or panda corys, Julis are kinda cute too.

6 Rasboras (of some type likely harlequin)

6 Galaxy Danios

Otherwise for regular tanks I would cut out one of the 3 groups of 6.

Edited by Calamity

Your plan for 80L max would be a good size. That's 20 Gallons which would do you that. I would make the corys a small school like 3 and bump up the numbers of the other fish.

If It was my 20gallon tank, and I had it heavily planted and could maintain perfect levels.

I would get

6 or so Cardinal tetras (or neons, cardinals are just prettier but cost more)

3 milini or panda corys, Julis are kinda cute too.

6 Rasboras (of some type likely harlequin)

6 Galaxy Danios

Otherwise for regular tanks I would cut out one of the 3 groups of 6.

Thanks for the ideas. Went to my lfs and there was a 70L ( 18.5 US gallons) tank for £70 with heater lights and filter on offer which seemed a good price.

So say i was to moderately plant it although not too heavily.

Would this stocking be sustainable

3 corys (probably panda)

5 cardinal tetra

5 platys / galaxy danios (not both)

and perhaps a centre fish such as male dwarf gourami maybe?

Also my tap water has a pH of about 8 if this is too high for the tetras?

Thanks for the help :)

Edited by I-Goldfish

Just corys and danios?

For corys they do best is school's of at least 5 although they can live in smaller groups. Danios are simular and do best in larger groups. So I'd say for 5 of each around 20gal ewould be perfect. You could cut the corys down to 3 and pull a 15.

That's my two cents.

Thank you for your help :)

Personally i hate mixing live bearers with other tropicals.

I hate livebearers to begin with. I was always guaranteed to scoop out more dead ones from the tanks then any other fish when i worked at pet stores.

But hey thats just my personal preference ;)

8 is a bit high. They can get used to it. Whats the ph at the pet store?

Personally i would use a neutral regulator. Keep everything at 7 in the tank and in my buckets before it goes in the tank.

Dwarf gouramis are hit and miss IMO

Ive had some be total turds while some were plesant. I did find that regardless they never lived that long for me....

I did however find that they arent the most active fish in the world when i had the tanks like that.

My brother has a regular gourami in his tank... last one standing... it killed all the other fish. Now it just slowly swims around looking for stuff to kill. Every time i got visit their house that fish gives me the death glare. So i brought over more live plants for him to see if he could maybe add some danios to the tank if the plants grow.....

I'm always cautious when giving others advise on stocking. That said I think you could do the 3 corys, 5 danios, and 5 cardinal tetras.

I'd leave off the gourami though.

Personally i hate mixing live bearers with other tropicals.

I hate livebearers to begin with. I was always guaranteed to scoop out more dead ones from the tanks then any other fish when i worked at pet stores.

But hey thats just my personal preference ;)

8 is a bit high. They can get used to it. Whats the ph at the pet store?

Personally i would use a neutral regulator. Keep everything at 7 in the tank and in my buckets before it goes in the tank.

Dwarf gouramis are hit and miss IMO

Ive had some be total turds while some were plesant. I did find that regardless they never lived that long for me....

I did however find that they arent the most active fish in the world when i had the tanks like that.

My brother has a regular gourami in his tank... last one standing... it killed all the other fish. Now it just slowly swims around looking for stuff to kill. Every time i got visit their house that fish gives me the death glare. So i brought over more live plants for him to see if he could maybe add some danios to the tank if the plants grow.....

I have no idea at the petstore but would obviously check before when i finally introduce them to the tank. If this was a problem it would be fine, i would buy some API pH down i guess.

Oh dear i don't want an evil fish  :rofl

I'm always cautious when giving others advise on stocking. That said I think you could do the 3 corys, 5 danios, and 5 cardinal tetras.

I'd leave off the gourami though.

That is what I'm leaning towards, 3 corys, 5 danios and 5 tetras and see how it goes. Yes i think it would be better without the gourami! 

Also i have a spare 5 gallon if i fancied a beta so that could always happen too :)

I'll keep you both updated on the process, i hope this will be successful!

If you ditch the gourami idea it wouldnt hurt to bump up your school sizes by 2 or so fish each. ;) or make the danio group larger and leave the tetras at 6. Danios are nice active fish.

Go slow. Dont add all 3 kinds of fish at once. Moniter levels and do water changes as necessary.

If you ditch the gourami idea it wouldnt hurt to bump up your school sizes by 2 or so fish each. ;) or make the danio group larger and leave the tetras at 6. Danios are nice active fish.

Go slow. Dont add all 3 kinds of fish at once. Moniter levels and do water changes as necessary.

Yeah i have ditched the gourami haha. Awesome sounds good :)

Yep i will go slow and am planning on trying to aquascape this one so will let that grow in a little first, so excited!