Headstanding Goldie

FishyMandy

• Supporter

Not sure if this is anything to be concerned about or not...

• Test Results for the Following:
    • * Ammonia Level(Tank)0
    • * Nitrite Level(Tank)0
    • * Nitrate level(Tank)0
    • * Ammonia Level(Tap0)
    • * Nitrite Level(Tap)0
    • * Nitrate level(Tap)0
    • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.6
    • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)7.6
    • Other Required Info:
      • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? Drops
      • * Water temperature? Unknown (thermometers broken)
      • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 60 Litre QT Tank - Less than 3 days
      • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? None
      • * How often do you change the water and how much? 100% Every day
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? Today 100%
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? 1 Approx 3-4 inches SL
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? NLS Thera A+ 1mm Pellets
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? He is the new one :P
  • * Any medications added to the tank? Not Yet
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. None
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? None
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? Most of the time is is swimming around normally but he does have a habit of moving into the corner and standing on his head...sometimes he will just stay there for a few seconds and then go back to swimming, other times he wont move until i go near the tank. 

Additional Info: He came from an overstocked and underfiltered tank..one of the fish he was with developed large red blotches over it. I believe he was fed floating pellets at his old home.

Here is a picture, not a very good one I'm afraid because I had to take it from the other side of the room because he goes back to normal whenever I go near the tank

H2nfbxm.jpg

• Helper

Can you give the parameters of the tank he came out of, or at least indicate how long he has been in quarantine?

I have a fish who does that and he has swim bladder issues. When he rests he begins to tip forward. Without high nitrates or low oxygen in the water I'd lean toward floatiness being congenital in the absence of any other symptoms. Is he defecating normally?

If he is fresh out of thank poor tank it might be a different story than if he has been in good conditions for a few weeks.

Edited by Arctic Mama

• Supporter

Ive only had him 3 days.

Ive asked for parameters of the tank he came from but not got them. I didnt think at the time to test the water he was in

His poop looks normal. Is short and food colour

• Helper

Got it - I wasn't sure if he was new or not. In the absense of other symptoms lets just stick with the normal quarantine procedures, salt, and duckweed or other fresh food if you have it. Pellets need to be soaked if you're not doing it already :)

I'm not too concerned, but if there was aeromonas or some other anaerobic bacteria that was responsible for killing the tank mate (likely) we want to keep his environment pristine, his diet highly digestible, and his stress as low as possible :)

• Helper

Nah, don't bother. I really think the water quality issues just impacted him and exacerbated some issues with his swim bladder that were already there. He looks and sounds like he is otherwise doing fine and you've got him in the best possible situation already. Let us know if things change :)