Sign in to follow this  
Rosegold

New oranda almost killed by tank mates :(

It doesn't look good for this fish.  If you want to try the parasite guard, go ahead.

Hmm, I'm still undecided what to do. I think I'm going to see how he is doing when I get home. He was completely healthy and happy before the attack last week so I don't know if he's suffering from a bacterial infection that will be treated w the tetracycline or is it possible he has flukes?? I don't even know.....his immune system is certainly weakened at the moment and he took a turn for the worse 24 hrs ago. I feel so awful about this whole situation, poor little guy.

The darkness at the belly and mouth along with the gasping, fins, and lethargy? Your water is acidic and not great, but I'm seriously suspicious of flukes and a secondary bacterial infection. The slightly bulging eyes are also a clue.

If you have parasite guard this is as good a time as any to try it and the tetracycline won't hurt either, but it might be time to euthanize instead of treat. The chances of bouncing back at this point are quite low and you gave Pierogi excellent care up to this point.

It's your choice - let us know what you'd like to do and we can try and assist.

Rosegold,

I am a newby here and the only thing I have to offer is my support and crossing my fingers for Pierogi.  

I think all the members pitching in here is very nice.

The darkness at the belly and mouth along with the gasping, fins, and lethargy? Your water is acidic and not great, but I'm seriously suspicious of flukes and a secondary bacterial infection. The slightly bulging eyes are also a clue.

If you have parasite guard this is as good a time as any to try it and the tetracycline won't hurt either, but it might be time to euthanize instead of treat. The chances of bouncing back at this point are quite low and you gave Pierogi excellent care up to this point.

It's your choice - let us know what you'd like to do and we can try and assist.

Thank you arcticmama and Bruce5. I do agree, I was going to pick up clove oil on my way home from work just in case but didnt have any luck. I checked pharmacies and grocery stores but only found clove bud oil. I dont believe that is what Im looking for. Now that I am home I can see Pierogi hasnt improved and I feel like he is suffering, I feel so helpless and sad for him :*( I will let you all know how the mext 24hours go.

As long as the clove bud oil is pure it will work - it contains slightly less eugenol than clove oil (which is made from the stems) so you may have to dose more of it to see the same effects in terms of anesthesia and respiratory depression, but it will function properly as long as it hasn't been cut with other oils.

As long as the clove bud oil is pure it will work - it contains slightly less eugenol than clove oil (which is made from the stems) so you may have to dose more of it to see the same effects in terms of anesthesia and respiratory depression, but it will function properly as long as it hasn't been cut with other oils.

Thank you so much!! I checked and it was 100% clove bud oil but I couldnt get internet connection in the store to comfirm it was ok to use. I will pick some up tomorrow.

Edited by Rosegold

I used 100% clove bud oil to euthanize one of my goldfish recently. I followed the directions on Helen's video and it worked well.

hun, there is a link in my sig to the video on euthing. if you need any help or company during this time, you can click the skype link in my koko profile and we can chat about it :)

Aww thank you so much Helen, I followed your instructions via the euthanasia video, little Pierogi is now S.I.P. I loved him so much and while I hate calling this a learning experience, it was. I was somlooking forward to taking care of him and watching his fins grow back and seeing him bloom back into a healthy and beautiful fish but it wasnt meant to be. I would like to thank everyone who commented and helped me along the way, you dont know how much it meant to me xoxo

Edited by Rosegold

So sorry little Pierogi didn't make it. :( I was following this thread and was hoping & praying he would beat the odds. Poor little guy. sad-hug.gif

big hugs to you, hun. :heart

I'm sorry he passed, I'm sure you'll miss him. Hugs!

I'm sorry for your loss. Rest in peace, angel Pierogi.

I'm sorry for your loss :hug:heart