Sign in to follow this  
xStatic

I resealed a tank! (And it looks horrible...)

The day before yesterday I was gifted a vintage 29 gallon tank. Its the type with the stainless steal frame all around (luckily my tank has a glass bottom rather than a slate one). I didn't really expect it to hold water but I filled it up with some really hot water because I read that can sometimes help the old tar sealant get gummy and re-seal itself. To my surprise the tank did excellent and it was only after an hour or so that I noticed a small amount of water pooling under the tank due to two slow leaks out the bottom.

Anyway, I did some research on re-sealing and got all the supplies yesterday and yesterday I spent all day prepping the tank and last night I resealed it. I sort of freaked out during the process because it was way harder for me than I anticipated and the silicon did not come out looking very pretty. However, I'm pretty confident that I covered all the seams more than sufficiently. I'm waiting for it to cure now. I've read that 24 hours is good enough but I think I'll give it 72 before doing my first test with water. Also, I hope to never do that again because the acetic acid smell was horrid. 

The problems I'm having now are that I got some silicon on the glass panels and I'm having a hard time getting it off. Is there some type of safe solvent I can use to help me remove it? Also, I was wanting this tank to be a bare-bottom tank but seeing my messy job on the silicon is bumming me out. Any idea if I might be able to clean it up once it's cured without risking the seal? If not I'll probably go with some black sand or just deal with the fact that the silicon looks terrible. 

No matter what this tank will be a nice upgrade for my little fish eventually. I want to finish cycling his 10 gallon before I move him into this tank so I wont have to go through cycling again. I have a nice new big filter for the 29 gallon as well so I should be pretty set. 

Can you use a razor blade to scrape off the unnecessary silicon? You'd need to be careful not to scratch the glass.

I probably wouldn't go for the caulk remover if there's any chance it would get on the caulk you don't want gone. If you're careful, maybe.

A fresh, sharp razor blade is probably your best bet.

Ditto on the razor blade. I once removed one of those faux rock backgrounds from a tank using one; the amount of silicone back there was ridiculous. It took about a week of cleaning in drips and drabs before I was satisfied. I also found when I got down to the barely visible millimetre thin bits of silicone, a microfibre cloth was able to wipe it away.

Thanks! I think I'm just going to try to razor blade to get everything off the sides and leave the extra pieces and globs that are on the seams for now. I don't want to risk ruining the seal. 

Thanks! I think I'm just going to try to razor blade to get everything off the sides and leave the extra pieces and globs that are on the seams for now. I don't want to risk ruining the seal. 

:bingo:

let the silicone dry first and then use razor blade. it will come off easily