Sign in to follow this  
EdgarTheFish

Dropsy? Secondary infection? (graphic video sorry)

Please copy & paste fill the following form and fill it out to the best of your ability when requesting help for Goldfish Problems:
Test Results for the Following:
* Ammonia Level(Tank) 0.25
* Nitrite Level(Tank) 0.0
* Nitrate level(Tank) 40
* Ammonia Level(Tap) 1.0
* Nitrite Level(Tap) 0
* Nitrate level(Tap) 0
* Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) pH: 7.4, kh: 17.8, gH: 71.2
* Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)  ph: 8.4, kh: 53.4, gh: 89
Other Required Info:
* Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? api drops
* Water temperature? 76 F
* Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 20, since February
* What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? penguin biowheel 150gph
* How often do you change the water and how much? 25-30% twice a week
* How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? 12/26/15, 25%. 
* How many fish in the tank and their size? 1 oranda, 4 inches total length
* What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime
* What do you feed your fish and how often? 2 sinking pellets daily (fasted yesterday due to floating issues and was going to do a pea this morning but found him like this) and bloodworms twice a week, right before WC. 
* Any new fish added to the tank? no
* Any medications added to the tank? General cure dose 1 on 12/19, dose 2 on 12/21 and 25% WC on 12/23, salt 0.1% (1tsp/gal) for flukes, anchor worm, and lice. 
* List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. see above
* Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? missing scales (he had wedged himself last night between plant and stone, possible raised scales or I might just be seeing things, I have bad vision.
* Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?

staying at the bottom, is able to right himself but is upside down and "bent", lethargic, gasping, low respiration and odd twitching (video to come soon)

He's still alive, I didn't know what to do and he was getting worse so I did a 100% WC, the suggested 25% WCs due to my pH instability does not bring my nitrates down enough and that's the only thing wrong with my water assuming that both rounds of GC got rid of the parasites.. hopefully he lives. 

I see some pineconing.  You really need metronidazole and another antibiotic such as kanamycin or triple sulfa . . .   I would also add Epsom salt at 1 tsp per 10 gallons.

2 pellets per day is not enough food for a fish his size IMO.

Did he have lice and anchor worms or were you just prophylactically treating him?

Have we tried to raise your tank pH/KH with baking soda before?  :idont

I've put him back in the main tank, which I also did a 100% WC on and salted 1tsp/gal  any other suggestions?

I've put him back in the main tank, which I also did a 100% WC on and salted 1tsp/gal  any other suggestions?

Salted with Epsom or regular/aquarium salt?

I see some pineconing.  You really need metronidazole and another antibiotic such as kanamycin or triple sulfa . . .   I would also add Epsom salt at 1 tsp per 10 gallons.

2 pellets per day is not enough food for a fish his size IMO.

Did he have lice and anchor worms or were you just prophylactically treating him?

Have we tried to raise your tank pH/KH with baking soda before?   :idont

I only have general cure until Thursday (payday) which has metro/prazi in it.  Also I have epsom salt, can I add that in addition to Aq. salt? 

Also my ph has been wonky for a long time. I used to add 1 and 1/8ths tbsp baking soda to buffer but even that wasn't helping?  I treated him for the bugs I found in my filter. see: http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/123286-bah-humbug-butch-needs-help-and-i-need-a-new-tank/

Edited by ETF_Ava

Yes, you can add Epsom with aquarium salt although I prefer Epsom only . .. 

What is the dosage of metro in the GC?  Metro only covers G+ bacteria.  You need another antibiotic for fuller coverage so the sooner the better . . . 

Yes, you can add Epsom with aquarium salt although I prefer Epsom only . .. 

What is the dosage of metro in the GC?  Metro only covers G+ bacteria.  You need another antibiotic for fuller coverage so the sooner the better . . . 

I have 250 mg of metronidazole remaining packet-wise. If it's safe- I have human/canine metro pills I can crush without prazi. I have 250mg tablets and I can get 500mg tablets rx'd from work. 

I have the equivalent of these:  http://www.allivet.com/p-690-metronidazole-tablet-250-mg.aspx?gclid=Cj0KEQiA-4i0BRCaudDcrrnDi6kBEiQAZSh5f6IRpfiT1mk4Gklj1_y1mB0DzZMprd7lMUMlLaxWKUMaAvHw8P8HAQ

Edited by ETF_Ava

Added the epsom salt and 500mg of metronidazole, removed my filter cartridge because it has carbon component and he's still upright but bottom sitting and the pineconing got a tiny bit worse but not by that much. 

Just an update, he's upside down again and right back to where we were this morning. How long do I give him for improvement before trying to save him becomes prolonged death? I hate watching him suffer like this. 

I'm sorry this is still going for you :( I really hope he improves

I'm sorry about your fish. It may be up to four or five days before you see a bit of an improvement, although you need the additional antibiotic like fantailfan suggested. For now, no lights would be good to reduce stress.

I'm sorry about your fish. It may be up to four or five days before you see a bit of an improvement, although you need the additional antibiotic like fantailfan suggested. For now, no lights would be good to reduce stress.

I've had them off since this started, should I offer him a pea? I fasted him two days in a row now. He's still floating upside down and very listless but he's tracking me with his eyes and swimming a small amount.  I have the filter off and the bubble wand is curled into the corner but it's even pushing him around now. Pineconing is definitely obvious now but I've seen worse pictures on here also and he has a very thin thread-like poo this morning. What other anitbiotic do I need in regards to ingredients? The only way I can get anything sooner than Thursday (assuming the only LFS which is an hour away is open after I get out of work at 12) is if we carry it at work. 

Fantailfan1 suggested kanamycin or triple sulfa. You can look up seachem kanaplex and api triple sulfa on amazon or elsewhere to get the exact ingredient names.

Hope he feels better.

Sorry your fish is feeling so poorly. :(  One thing I do when my "dropsy-prone" fish has a relapse is get him into a separate tank with just a sponge filter.  There isn't the suction that way, drawing him to the intake.  It protects him from the damaged fins at least, without putting my cycled filter at risk.  Best wishes for your fish's recovery!

Does anyone know of a place I can get those online with fast delivery? The LFS are all marine and only carry erythromycin and tetracycline and minocycline, I got paid today and have already been to Petco, Petsmart, Petsupermarket, Pet supplies plus, and I've already checked with all of the open LFS within the county. Also should I feed him a pea? This is day 4 since he hasn't eaten anything. He's still tracking me with his eyes. No changes so far. 

Did you try Amazon? They have prime 2 day shipping.

Prime is your best option you can pay extra for overnight or try their free 30 day trial for prime and get it super fast

Sure try and feed him a pea or frozen bloodworms or anything that he really likes.

I found triple sulfa at a store one county over, just got home and added it to the tank. I also blanched a pea and shelled, he ate 1/4 of it. I have the bubble wall coiled up into a corner and I had turned my filter off because between the two it was too powerful, ordered a sponge filter on Amazon. He goes over to the bubble wall and wedges himself against it and the tank wall or gets pushed/floats around becaue even the bubbles are strong for him. I know medications can drop my O2 levels, should I uncoil the bubble wall?

Do you have any air control valves so you can turn down the current of the air flow?