Sign in to follow this  
Bruce5

Can I use a marine light for my goldfish tank.

I have a 55 gal tank with no plants.  (No CO2 not that I know what that does, lol).

Currently I have a 48" Marineland advanced LED strip light. It says 37.7 watts and 7500K (cool).

The 48" Fluval Sea/Marine and Reef LED is 59 w and it says 25000k (25000 does not seem right but that is what the box says.

The color spectrum chart on both is fairly similar, the marine one has a little more blue. 

How would this affect algae and if algae increases would plants reduce algae it if it grows?  

Do any goldfish keepers use Marine lights?

Coral and marine tanks generally have more blue to them. 
Some people refer to it as the Listerine effect.  It will be more of a blue white, vs a yellow or red white.  Like comparing a white fluorescent to the yellow of a normal incandescent bulb. 

Freshwater plants like their light more in the red spectrum.

You may end up with more algae just given that its a stronger light.

Thank you.  I guess I could try it and see.

The room has 2 large windows, so a lot of daylight, no direct sunlight.

It is in my office at home.  I get to watch my fish while I work.  YAY! 

With all the daylight, I could also keep light on for a couple less hours if need be.   

Is this being a dumb newby or can some of this be personal preference?

Lessening the photo period in a tank is a typical thing people will do to try and combat algae.  Nothing wrong with a bit less light. 
Adding live plants would help use up some of the nutrients in the tank that algae uses.

I think the light just might be a little overkill if you are just using it to illuminate the tank.  But give it a go!

I have a 360w LED that I run at about 30-40% white and 30-40% blue over my 36" wide 65g Reef tank. 
So for an actual reef tank, 59w is really nothing in that sense.

If it's just for illumination, I'd stick with the 7500k light.

As an aside, co2 is for plants. All plants will benefit from it and you can really add it to any tank (even low light), but it's really only necessary as you add more light. You can think of it as a high performance vehicle. The more you accelerate, the more fuel you burn through. Similarly, the more light you add, the more carbon dioxide (and fertilisers) the plant needs to photosynthesise.

Ok guys,  I will stick with what I have.  My Dad always said, when in doubt, don't.

Thanks .