Possible Killifish? Need help please

Mikey

:hi I was at my friends house just now and she has a 72 gallon now with what appears to be many sick/dead killifish and 3(?) tadpoles. They have fungus galore. I think the are killifish but I can't tell.

The pH is 6.0

ammonia is 2-3ppm

nitrites are 0ppm

and nitrates are 80-100ppm

I can't do anything at the moment as its 11pm but tomorrow after work I'm going to get her. Here is a picture of a not so sickly looking one. 4F7126B4-E7FE-45C1-B428-9C77D89C4FF6_zps

If these are killifish, how much salt should j tell her to add since they are brackish? Can we use Morton canning and pickling for that since salt is salt or does it need to be marine salt? I need to get that pH up to 7.8-8.0 for sure. Should I not use any meds and hope the salt takes care of it?

And I'll need to set something up for the tadpoles since they would die from the salt I would imagine.

I'm not sure it's a killifish. The head just don't look quite right to be one. But I could be wrong.

thats what I was thinking as well, but again, I don't know either lol.

• Admin

The pH is 6.0

ammonia is 2-3ppm

nitrites are 0ppm

WOW Mikey the ph is so so low we need get that up.

Ammonia :yikes

Nitrates :yikes again...

Water changes need to be done really bad... I have read and there isnt much about them being brackish... I personally would work on the clean tank, ph and Also make sure the filters are clean too.... I would put only about .1% salt right now :)

The pH is 6.0

ammonia is 2-3ppm

nitrites are 0ppm

WOW Mikey the ph is so so low we need get that up.

Ammonia :yikes

Nitrates :yikes again...

Water changes need to be done really bad... I have read and there isnt much about them being brackish... I personally would work on the clean tank, ph and Also make sure the filters are clean too.... I would put only about .1% salt right now :)

yeah not my tank :rofl I KNEW it was 6.0 the second I smelled the tank and saw the death and floating food. Ill see what her dad wants to do as they a tennis fish but I think he got hem at a bait and tackle store just inhale in the tank for decoration.

The killifish around here are brackish :idont I know the bait store keeps them brackish. I think they have been bottom sitting since day one. That's what it strikes me as considering I think he put them in there maybe 2 weeks ago.

Oh I'm tearing that filter apart when I get to it :rofl it needs new bio wheels as it doesn't have any :tomuch: it needs another filter in general. It doesn't have enough filtration.

• Admin

Mikey.... I would first just go .1% salt then if the fish feel better go to .2% salt... slow is the keep here... :) but the PH need fixing and the BioWheels dont need to be on there I dont use mine :o

Okay I'll do that. Her mom is busy today so I can't do anything today unfortunately. I can drop off baking soda to add to the tank to raise the pH so I can do a big water change when the time comes.

He got them from a lake he said :doh11: he's putting them back in there to maybe save the ones that are healthy enough. He wants oscars so I'm going to be helping them clean the tank and restart it and give them some of my media. They are getting an Aquaclear 70 in addition to the marine land emperor 400 which will be 700 gallons per hour in 72 gallons so close enough I guess. I'll be using PP to make that tank PURPLE :rofl I'm using my bucket and pump to ONLY fill it so that means using just tap water and not touching that yucky tank water.

He got them from a lake he said :doh11: he's putting them back in there to maybe save the ones that are healthy enough. He wants oscars so I'm going to be helping them clean the tank and restart it and give them some of my media. They are getting an Aquaclear 70 in addition to the marine land emperor 400 which will be 700 gallons per hour in 72 gallons so close enough I guess. I'll be using PP to make that tank PURPLE :rofl I'm using my bucket and pump to ONLY fill it so that means using just tap water and not touching that yucky tank water.

That actually looks like a juvenile small mouth bass to be honest. I do a lot of bass fishing and it really really really looks like one. If he got it from a lake in NJ, that's what I'd put my money on.

From a practical standpoint, if they're not well, perhaps the fish shouldn't go back in the lake & infect the wild stock?

:bingo:    Never release fish back into the wild. Even if they are healthy they've been exposed to pathogens in aquaria that fish do not have immunity to in the wild and can contaminate the ecosystem. It's better to find them a new home or humanely euthanize them. 

Edited by goldfishgirl82