Sign in to follow this  
jetman73

New 60 Gallon Tank

I'm in the process of setting up my first new tank within the last 5+ years and I'm calling it my K.I.S.S. tank.  60 gallons with two fish will be the final stocking level and I'm filtering with an eheim 2217.

The tank temperature will vary throughout the year, as well as the light cycle but will range from 68-80. I'm using the Current-Usa freshwater plus for lighting with the 48" version.

I'll be doing a fish in cycle and have no worries putting two 1" fish in a 60 for cycling. 

Here are some pics of the tanks progression. I'll be moving the intake when I get the correct tubing and will be lengthening the intake. Besides putting a bubble wall on the left side, that is about it.

With the way I set-up the spray bar, future bubble wand, and the intake I should get some great circulation.

We'll see how long the fake plants last and they are always a concern, but are easily removed.

Any thoughts or critiques?

Looks great!! 

May I suggest doing a fishless cycle while you are QTing the fish? I would think setting up a 10/20 gallon tank for QT would be more cost effective and easier to maintain since you will want to do 4-6 rounds of prazi. Treating them in a 10-20 gallon tank compared to 60 gallons will save quite a bit of money on your end medication wise. Especially time since you will be needing to do large water changes quite often with the prazi rounds. That's just my  :twocents  If you want to QT in tank and spend the money on the medication that's fine as well, just trying to save you some money :)

Not a fan of fake plants.  Just to much trouble to keep clean.  But if you don't mind the cleaning your set up looks great.  I like the before best but that is just me.

Great! Congrats on the new tank :D

Looks nice.

Thanks everyone for the replies. I'll be sure to update the tank in the future.

Not a fan of fake plants.  Just to much trouble to keep clean.  But if you don't mind the cleaning your set up looks great.  I like the before best but that is just me.

I tend to agree with you. We'll see how long the plants make it but there is only four of them in there with one being a maintenance headache. I'm optimistic they will stay but the brain and past experience is saying they will be yanked out. Only time will tell and thanks for the critique.

Looks great!! 

May I suggest doing a fishless cycle while you are QTing the fish? I would think setting up a 10/20 gallon tank for QT would be more cost effective and easier to maintain since you will want to do 4-6 rounds of prazi. Treating them in a 10-20 gallon tank compared to 60 gallons will save quite a bit of money on your end medication wise. Especially time since you will be needing to do large water changes quite often with the prazi rounds. That's just my  :twocents  If you want to QT in tank and spend the money on the medication that's fine as well, just trying to save you some money :)

Thanks for the reply and I appreciate the advice. If you don't mind I have a few questions.

Why would you treat with prazi 4-6 times? I've never had to dose prazi more than twice and have always had complete fluke eradication. Are there now problems with super flukes that are showing resistance?

For me there is no reason to QT as they will be the only fish I have had for years and I'm trying to keep this tank K.I.S.S. They are coming from a reputable breeder and I hate shotgun treatments on the hobbyists part, they always do more harm than good. I understand that breeders and dealers need to use these techniques and they set up their facilities to accommodate their needs. Instead of dosing prazi haphazardly it would be better to use a microscope because flukes are easily detectable to even the novice.

Watching and learning.... :) 

So the journey now begins. I finally received my two calico orandas from ECR and I couldn't be happier with not only the fish, but also with Cynthia who is the owner. The little guys look lost right now in the big tank and I prefer it that way. These are the only fish that will be in the tank and should thrive at 30 gallons each. I'll update from time to time or if I make any changes to the tank.

Sorry for the crappy pictures but I am a lousy photographer and my camera is so old it doesn't even state what megapixel it is. 

DSCN1879.jpg

Congratulations!!!!

Edited by DawnMichele

And one other picture of my dog getting his workout in. He's one crazy mofo that is full of love. About 18 months old here.

DSCN1817.jpg

And one other picture of my dog getting his workout in. He's one crazy mofo that is full of love. About 18 months old here.

DSCN1817.jpg

Is he a Pit?

They are very cute and the tank looks nice.  :D

DSCN1817.jpg

Is he a Pit?

Yes. He is an ADBA registered American Pit Bull Terrier. 

I just wanted to mention I haven't cleaned my fake plants in at least 3 years and they are clean. Each tank will behave differently depending on a variety of factors.

I just wanted to mention I haven't cleaned my fake plants in at least 3 years and they are clean. Each tank will behave differently depending on a variety of factors.

Thanks and I agree wholeheartedly. If I can grow the right kind of algae from the get-go they have a chance to stay. My only problem is I have never used my current source water to house fish or grow algae so it's a guessing game. Test kits can only give you a limited idea of your true water source and how it will respond. Hopefully I play the right hand but I've always had success with higher WPG and longer photo periods for growing the nice stuff.   

Edited by jetman73

wow Rob love your new fish and your Pooch... :thumbup2::Beware::teehee

Oh your fish are so cute!!! Cannot wait to see how they fill out. :D

and your pup :wub:

Your dog is beautiful!!!!!!