• * Ammonia Level(Tap): 0
    • * Nitrite Level(Tap): 0
    • * Nitrate level(Tap): 0
    • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.6
    • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.6
    • Other Required Info:
      • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API strips
      • * Water temperature? 72 degrees
      • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 20 gal QT for 2 weeks
      • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? None
      • * How often do you change the water and how much? 100% daily change
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? Today, 100%
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? 1 medium pearlscale
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? Soilent green twice a day
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? No
  • * Any medications added to the tank? API General Cure (Metronidazole) and Seachem Kanaplex (Kanamycin)
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. API General Cure and Kanaplex for 12 days.  The last days, no meds.
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? Nothing visible on the fish.
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? For the last 6 months, my pearlscale named Golfball has had some floating and buoyancy issues. Despite soaking my NLS pellets, he would often float after eating.  I changed the feeding routine for the whole tank and they have been on Soilent Green gel 2x day and frozen bloodworms 2x a week.  Occasionally I'd remove Golfball for 20 minutes while I fed the rest of the goldfish NLS pellets, but Golfball hasn't had them.  His floating got worse in the last month.   Three weeks ago I decided to QT him in a 20 gallon tote with the meds mentioned above.   Due to his SBD symptoms, I wanted to treat him with meds to rule out an illness causing his SBD issues.  After 12 days of treatment, he was no worse and no better.  So I assumed the SBD issues are stemming from a physical problem with his swim bladder instead of an illness.  The last 4 days, he hasn't had any meds in his water, but he has now gotten much worse.  Yesterday and today, he is constantly upside down on the bottom of the tank and can't right himself.  He doesn't seem stressed.  He's actually quite calm and breathing normally.  Yesterday and today, I've lowered the water level to give him relief.  Before, the level was about 15 inches deep, and now it's at about 8 inches deep.  Is there anything else I can do for him?  I think it's a deformed swim bladder... and I hate to watch him suffer.  I was planning on giving him another day or two, and if he is still constantly upside down on the bottom, I'll have to euthanize him... which is not at all what I want to do.  Any advice is much appreciated.  Thanks!

IMG_8410.jpg

IMG_8411.jpg

IMG_8412.jpg

IMG_8413.jpg

IMG_8415.jpg

IMG_8417.jpg

IMG_8418.jpg

Hope he feels better.

Hun he looks alittle Dropies to me...

First thing I would do right now is put some Epsom salt in the tank.

"Epsom salt will assist in resolving the retained fluid within the fish causing it to bloat/swell however, treating with Epsom only will not resolve the bacterial issue that caused the fish to Dropsy. It is important that an antibiotic is used also as this will treat the bacteria/infection that has caused these symptoms in your fish.

Epsom salt draws out the retained fluid that causes the fish to bloat. It can be used for 8 -10 consecutive days max. If used for longer periods of time, it may cause anaemia to the fish depending on what the health problem is. there is more concern for chemical burns to the dermis with overuse. The correct dose for Epsom salt is 1/4 teaspoon for every 10 US gallons of water. it's such a small amount of product, however it brings the desired results at a pace where the fish can handle it without adverse effects

Metronidazole needs to be fed taking into consideration the weight of the fish. The fish needs to consume 1% of it's body weight of medicated gelfood or MetroMeds daily in order for the medicine to take effect. Depending on how aggressive the bacteria is, the course of medicated food can be 14 days or a full 30 days. We begin treatment anticipating a treatment period is of 14 days is only what is required, but, depending on how long it's been since the fish returned to normal health, sometimes we need treat the full 30 days. the water is heated to tepms 76-80F to increase the motabolsim, by doing this, the medicines are received faster as digestion is sped up."

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/page/index.html/_/disease-information/dropsy-updated-2012-r330

I've been inspecting him everyday, looking for dropsey scales.  It's hard for me to tell on pearlscales, but I haven't seen any raised scales.  But, I did treat him for almost 2 weeks as thought he had a bacterial infection or dropsey.  I had epsom in his water, metronidazole, and kanaplex.  I thought that I should give him a break on treatment, since I'm not sure how long he can be in meds? I thought since I treated him for so long that it must not be a bacterial infection, but a physical problem with his SBD.  I haven't studied this, like you all have.  It was just my own reasoning.

I can add the epsom back into his water, and add the metronidazole (API General Cure) to his gel food.  I think Shanon told me the instructions for making it once before, I'll look it up.  The problem is, all he does is lay upside down or occasionally he does backflips.  I can try to see if he'll hand feed.

It's really really breaking my heart to see him like this.  Thanks Koko, for the advice.  I'll go ahead and add the epsom back now and make the gel food.

Can we get a video of him please? That would help :)

Being able to observe how he wobbles or turns in closeup could make it easier to distinguish what is going on, and in a fish with swim bladder issues any illness or trauma can make that worse, so it might not be either/or.

Edited by Arctic Mama

Here's the best video I could get.  I shot over 10 video's but he just wasn't interested in doing his backwards circle swimming, except a little in this video.  But, he's almost always just calmly laying on his back.

No improvement yet.  I've got the epsom in his water, and I'm feeding him gel food with the API General Cure (with metronidazole).  He isn't able to steer at all to eat, but he's very hungry and eats from my hands.  I didn't add meds to the water, because I wasn't sure how much to add to the water since I'm adding it to his food... I don't want to overdose him.  He had API General Cure and Seachem Kanaplex in his water for 12 days, and then had a 3-4 day period without meds.  Please let me know if giving him more meds in his food is overdosing him.  I don't want to hurt him in any way.  I REALLY want this to be an illness that can be medicated... but I just get the feeling that something has physically happened to his swim bladder, something that medicine can't fix.

He seems like his back is permanently curved.  He always lays on his back on the bottom, but his back doesn't straighten so he can lay flat.  It stays slightly bent so his belly sticks out, almost like his back is stuck.  When he swims it's still in backflip circles, although he hardly moves.  Oddly enough, he seems like he's still happy.  There are no sores yet from him laying on the bottom.  He seems comfortable.

A few days ago, I was more at peace with euthanizing him if I needed to, but now I can't really bear the thought.  He's got such a sweet personality.  Please let me know if there is anything else I can do for him.  And please be honest if there is nothing that can be done. I really don't want this sweet fish to suffer for no reason.  

Thanks.

Ok hun... I would like you to get some Duck Weed... Place that in his QT and let him munch on it.... At this point I think we are doing what we can... Duck weed is great for sick fish... See if you can find some :)

Ok, I'll pick some duckweek up.  They sell it at my lfs.  Since it floats, and he's always on the bottom of the tank, I think he'll have trouble getting to it.  Do you think if I freeze some, it might sink so he could try to get to it off the bottom?

Lower the water for him :) That will help him get to the duck weed and also swim :)

It's at about 8 inches right now (10 gallons of water) -- how much lower should I go?  Keep in mind, I'm doing 100% WC daily.

It's at about 8 inches right now (10 gallons of water) -- how much lower should I go?  Keep in mind, I'm doing 100% WC daily.

enough where he can go under but also where the plants are easy for him to nibble on ... That make since :)

Koko, thank you so much for your help with Golfball.  Unfortunately, he is gone.  He completely quit trying to swim over the weekend, and just laid upside down glued to the bottom of the tank... almost like he gave up.  It broke my heart thinking how miserable he must be.  I didn't think I'd have the ability to do it, but I made myself euthanize him.  I didn't want him to suffer any longer, just for me.  I had to let him go.

Again, thank you so much for the help.  I really appreciate it.

I'm sorry you had to euthanize him. Sometimes it is the kindest thing we can do, but that doesn't make it suck less.

I'm starting to get all triggered by the smell of clove oil - it makes me think of sadness and death instead of autumn, now :(

Im sorry hun :hug

I'm so sorry. Rest in peace, Golfball.

Sorry for your loss. RIP Golfball.