Sign in to follow this  
Anorea

Nerite snail & Ghost Shrimp

My husband brought me home 2 anubias, 3 ghost shrimp and a Nerite snail, as a surprise.

I've never had shrimp before, and the only experience I have with snails was about ten years ago when someone gave me a tank, and there were hundreds of tiny dark snails everywhere in it.

I plan to put them in with my two ranchu's. The tank is a 36G, has the two GF (both about 1 inch long), two anubias, and two crypts. How long do I need to quarantine the shrimp and snails? They are in a 1G tank with the new anubias plants at the moment.

I read that shrimp like to have a very planty environment with a hidey-space. I have a cave in the the 36G that I was thinking about possibly just putting the anubias plants in front of the two entrances? That way the shrimp could make that their home. Thoughts and suggestions greatly appreciated.

Thanks everyone!

Edited by Anorea

The snail & Anubias will most likely do great........the shrimp might be on the Endangered Species list! :yikes

They usually like heavily planted to munch on dying plant and for hiding and cover.  Hard to say how they will do.  Is your tank bare except for the new plants?
MOST shrimp are smart enough to swim away when a predator comes towards them. 

You may have to just see what happens :)

The tank already has two anubias plants and two crypt plants. I have medium large tumbled rocks instead of sand or gravel

I hope the shrimpies don't get eaten! They are so cute!

Does anyone know how long i should quarantine these guys?

Personal preference.

I dont QT shrimp. Cant be bothered. A lot of people dont bother either.

And i know for snails some people just make sure they come out of their shell in new water, so old water is kind of rinsed out of their shell, then plop them in the main tank. Same ide with shrimp, kinda let new eater go through their system in a sense then their good to go.

Some people do it for a week. Or 2....

Up to you.

Perhaps the environment they came from can give you input.

Petco/petsmart? Ghost shrimp are usually in a tank with other fish and run off the same water as other tanks with likely sick fish.

Independent fish store where they are housed in a tank on their own with their own filter?

They came from PetSmart. The snail is pretty active, moving around and such. The shrimpies are running around crazily, too. Hmm, maybe I'll just wait another day then. :) Thanks for the input!