Sign in to follow this  
dkisosondi

Hoover needs some help, possible early sighs of Dropsy

To clarify what the mods have directed:

Please put metroplex directly into the water as Shakaho suggested above. Dosage is on the tube.

Every time you change water, redose metroplex and trisulpha. 100% water change, redose full amount. Also replace Epsom salt.

14 days minimum of both antibiotics. For Epsom salt, post update every day and then we can determine when the Epsom salt is no longer needed. Until then make sure Epsom salt is in water.

Ok we need to do this... Also

I would like you to do a Ph test for me please.

Take a Jug of tap water and let it sit over night.... I want you to test the tap water in the jug before and after...Then another jug same way but with an air stone in there....

We are seeing if the Ph will change over night by its self some waters will... This change in PH isnt helping him at all. :(

I have the same PH issues with my pool, we very bad rural water here. I do a lot of PH testing, our water has virtually no buffering capacity. It doesn't even register on a test kit. That is why I keep crushed coral in my filters. My only other option would be to pull water from the main tank, that is aways at 7.8.

His PH did go up a little on its own to about 7.0. He still has some slightly raised scales on his right side.

Well If we can set out water let it raise on its own and use that for water changes with your buffer it should be alot more stable.... Are you still using Epsom salt and the Antibiotics?

It took 2 days for it to go from 6.8 to 7.0 with pretty heavy aeration, plus I don't have anywhere to store the water other than the main tank. Main tank is always 7.8 as it self adjusts pretty quickly because of the coral in one of the filters. I can always adjust the PH prior to putting him back in the QT tank. I have been doing 100% water changes every 2 days, I keep him in a bucket for 15 to 20 minutes while I get the temperature correct, that is about the same amount of time it would take for me to adjust the PH up a bit.

He is still on Triple Sulfa, MetroPlex, and Epsom Salt. He was slightly better this morning, but I suspect it will be at least another day before I can remove the Epsom Salt.

Well, we are fixing to go on day 10 of being on Epsom Salt, Triple Sulfa, and MetroPlex. I have not seen much change over the past 4 days, he still has some raised scales on his right side and is sloughing slime coat pretty bad. You can see in the pictures, that 2 days worth and there is a pile of it behind the air bar. I also notice that he is starting to get a lot of black again, it has been years since he had any really noticeable black coloring. I don't know how much longer I should leave him on Epsom Salt, my understanding is 10 days should be the limit. Also, should I change from MetroPlex to General Cure for the added benefit of Pazi? He seemed to respond very well to that last time? I am going to remove the Epsom Salt with his water change today, I don't believe the raised scales are cause by swelling now, it appears to be only raised where there is excessive slime coat.

DSC_0016_1.jpgDSC_0015_1.jpg

From the Mods

"the black returning is calico spots coming back.

metronidazole? i have treated for 3 months straight (as a base drug) with no problems.

epsom salts, i have treated 1/4 teaspoon for 2 months straight, no problems.

i would simply just keep the metro/epsom routine until symptoms go away."

Ok thanks. That's what I will do then. I will continue the metro and reduced Epsom Salt until symptoms are gone. I still have a few more days of Triple Sulfa that was previously recomended.

Well, Hoover is not doing well. There has not been much change over the past week or so and now he has stopped eating. About the only change is he has stopped shedding slime coat. He hasn't moved around all that much and last night we tried to feed him some peas. He tried go after the but he just kinda flopped around. This morning the peas were still there and he was laying kinda canted in a different corner than he usually does under the heater. Poor Hoover. :(

He is even worse now, He is just kind of laying on his side occasionally trying to move. He will most likely lose his battle within the next few hours.

So sorry.  You did your best to help him.

Like a doctor, all we can really do is make an environment conducive to him healing himself by keeping conditions good and aiding, as needed, with medication to help the immune system win he battle against a pathogen. It can be so hard to remember we aren't in control of whether our pets live or die, but just that we did the best by them that we could and the rest is out of our hands. :grouphug

Thanks for everyone that has tried to help and left thoughtful comments. Hoover has lost his fight and passed a short time ago. He was 9 years old.

Hoover001.jpgHoover002.jpgDSC_0002_1.jpg

Edited by dkisosondi

Rest in peace, dear Hoover. I'm so sorry for your loss.

{{hugs}} to you. RIP Hoover :(