Hoover needs some help, possible early sighs of Dropsy

dkisosondi

Oh handsome Hoover!

What would be helpful to the mods and disease assistants is if you can summarize the treatment to date--include meds, salts, and length of usage. Also list what antibiotics you have on hand.

Thanks!

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He was on Epsom Salt, General Cure, and Triple Sulfa. Once he seemed to get better, the wife used the Epsom Salt but I still have some of the other meds. That is all I have, I was never able to get some metros.

He was on Epsom Salt, General Cure, and Triple Sulfa. Once he seemed to get better, the wife used the Epsom Salt but I still have some of the other meds. That is all I have, I was never able to get some metros.

Can you remind us how long he was on these meds, including e-salt?

It saves time for the mod team from having to go through the entire thread.

Thanks!

Edited by LisaCGold

He had a full treatment cycle of the meds, 4 days total I believe. He was in the Epsom salt for 6 or 7 days.

Just to clarify: fish has been on trisulfa and general cure for total of 4 (four) days, and Epsom salt for 6 to 7 days, correct?

Edited by LisaCGold

The reason I'm asking is because antibiotics should be administered for a minimum of 10 to 14 consecutive days. Most on the mod team do 14.

We just need clarity on the total number of consecutive days your fish has been in the water with trisulfa and General cure. Thanks!

He is beginning to go downhill. His pineconing is getting worse. I am moving him back to the QT tank and start him back on triple sulfa and Epsom salt and will being feeding home metro tomorrow. I still have some general cure as well but I want to wait for the mods, I don't want do double dose him unless someone says otherwise.

Edited by dkisosondi

I was able to get him on the salt, triple sulfa, and some metro last night. Wife actually got out of bed and went to Walmart to get some e-salt and peas. I have a question about the metro, should I use general cure to get the metro in the water as well as put put the pure stuff in his food, or just in his food?

When putting it his food, it was difficult finding the best way to do that. Anyone have any advice? The only real way I could find was to make some peas  with a tad bit of water and mix 1 unit with 1 tbsp of food and let it soak for a while. I fed him half of that and will give him the other half today. Anyone got a better way to do it? 

Edited by dkisosondi

• Supporter

please remove all aquarium salt.. this is not the salt for treating a pineconed fish and may add to the problem rather than relieve symptoms. the only salt you should be using at this very moment is Epsom salt.

please update us as soon as possible with exactly what is in the water where it concerns which salt and what meds.

if you can manage a clear top view photo or two, that would also help.

I will try and get some more pics after a do a water change, water is cloudy for some reason and I cannot get a good pic. He does still have a little pinecone, not as bad as yesterday or the day before. I am starting to get some ammonia build up >.25, but it's there none the less. He has been in QT for 38 hours as of this post.

Edited by dkisosondi

To clarify what the mods have directed:

Please put metroplex directly into the water as Shakaho suggested above. Dosage is on the tube.

Every time you change water, redose metroplex and trisulpha. 100% water change, redose full amount. Also replace Epsom salt.

14 days minimum of both antibiotics. For Epsom salt, post update every day and then we can determine when the Epsom salt is no longer needed. Until then make sure Epsom salt is in water.

I would really like to see a Video of this tank and fish please :_)

http://vid588.photobucket.com/albums/ss324/dkisosondi/20160116_1130252.mp4

It's a really bad video, I will get a better one once I get his water changed. My guess is it is cloudy because I had to buff the PH up, his tank is a 7.8, tap is 6.8. I buffed it to 7.2 so he should be able to handle the tap water now without too much stress.