Hoover needs some help, possible early sighs of Dropsy

dkisosondi

Ok, that is what I will do then. He loves sifting the gravel, so i may leave a little bit but it will be mostly bare bottom. I used to have sand but because of concerns and various opinions on this very site, I removed it. Plus Hoover was always pooing large amounts of sand. The main reason I kept substrate was because I wanted plants, but Hoover always ate them or ripped them up trying to eat them. Now all I have is Java Fern, It has been in the tank as long as it has been running. It is attached to drift wood so it doesn't need a substrate.

Also, I changed his water. Removed\added 10 gallons, 1 tsb of Epsom, 1 packet of Triple Sulfa and 1 packet of General Cure.

Edited by dkisosondi

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, goldfish benefit from a thin layer of sand.  In nature they slurp up a mouthful of lake bottom, spit out most of the sand and swallow the edibles.  The sand that they swallow helps keep the gut moving.  

We discussed length of treatment and  think you should do a repeat treatment with General Cure, TripleSulfa, and epsom starting one week after the start of the first.  That will give you a sufficient duration of treatment.  Metronidazole will keep long term and one should keep it on hand since it treats many diseases.

How long do I need to continue the Epsom Salt? Hover is losing all of his slime coat and is beginning to look a very rough white. I also am starting to see what looks like a sore beginning to form in an area that looked fine prior to treatment. There is large amount of stuff floating around the water, even after I cleaned it out yesterday. His raised scales are virtually gone, and he is not moving around as much. However I did find that the heater stopped working and the temp dropped to 62. I got the heater working again and will try to get the temp back up a bit.

20151224_085625.jpg20151224_085555.jpg20151224_085605.jpg20151224_085631.jpg

Edited by dkisosondi

Epsom salt should not affect slime coat.   A healthy fish continually continually produces and sheds slime coat.   You don't see this process with normal thin slime layers. 

Fluke infestation (or other irritations) can cause a build up of slime coat.  The Praziquantel in General Cure kills flukes.  Shedding slime coat might be associated with this.  Just siphon out the debris.

Here is an update. He finishes his second round of meds today and I do not see any further pinecone. All of his scales seem to have settled and his color is starting to turn back to a nice shiny white. The only 2 areas of concern that I still have is the ulcer that started to appear 2 days ago has gotten slightly worse and I notice this morning some white spots appearing at the beginning of his tail. There are a few small spots on his dorsal fine, but the bulk is at the base of his tail.

DSC_0002.jpgDSC_0016.jpgDSC_0015.jpg

Yes, that has been the treatment. Today is the last day (4th) of the second round of Triple Sulfa and General Cure. He has been on Epsom Salt since the 21st and General Cure\Triple Sulfa since the 22nd.

Edited by dkisosondi

• Supporter

we can take the Epsom out of the water since the new photos do not show that the fish is swelling. and the medicine has worked as we expected.

if you are able to get your hands on Metronidazole, i am not sure if the amount of Metronidazole in the General Cure would be enough. i usually treat 10 gallons of water with 400mg of metronidazole and 1.5 tablets of tri-sulfa.

i have treated for 60 days consecutive with Metronidazole and 14 consecutive days with trisulfa. no ill effects..

Getting Metro has been a challenge, none of the LFS either carry or have any in stock here. And with the holidays it will be after the first before I can get any. In the meantime should I do another round of General Cure and Triple Sulfa?

Edited by dkisosondi

we can take the Epsom out of the water since the new photos do not show that the fish is swelling. and the medicine has worked as we expected.

if you are able to get your hands on Metronidazole, i am not sure if the amount of Metronidazole in the General Cure would be enough. i usually treat 10 gallons of water with 400mg of metronidazole and 1.5 tablets of tri-sulfa.

i have treated for 60 days consecutive with Metronidazole and 14 consecutive days with trisulfa. no ill effects..

i believe the amount is 250mg of metro per packet to ten gallons of water in the general cure. Not sure about the amount of prazi in it though.

Has the slime coat sloughing stopped?

To treat the ulcer, go to the drugstore and get some betadine (iodine) and some denture powder.  Lay the fish on a wet towel  (ulcer up) and cover the head with a wet cloth.  

Swab the ulcer with  betadine, then put a drop in the ulcer.  Cover the ulcer with denture powder.  If the fish isn't struggling, wait a minute to set the wound cover, then return the fish to the tank.  If needed, you can put the fish back into the tank sooner.

His ulcer looks like it's healing pretty good on its own. The sloughing does seem to have stopped, there is still a little in the tank from yesterday. I did a 100% water change the previous evening to remove the salt, plus I had an ammonia spike up to 1 ppm. He is looking good, albeit a little thin. He as developed some little black spots here and there, there were a few since the beginning. He is very active with the warmer water and does eat well when I have fed him.

Also, thanks for everyone's help and support. It would have been devastating for my wife and I had we lost him. At the last minute we decided not to go on vacation, if we would have I would have came home to a dead Hoover.

DSC_0004.jpgDSC_0003.jpgDSC_0001.jpgDSC_0002_1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Well, Hoover is beginning to regress. I noticed last night that he was swimming like had had been drinking. He has been sleeping a lot the past few days behind the plants. I check his water and it's perfect. PH:7.8, Nitrite 0, Ammonia 0, Nitrates 5ppm or slightly less. Water temp is a bit cool at 65. He has been back in his tank for just under 2 weeks. His tank and plants were thoroughly cleaned. He got a new filter with new filtration parts, only the media was reused. His second filter was completely sterilized as it had been sitting unused for awhile. Everything in that filter is new except the media, it was sterilized and rinsed to ensure the chlorine I used was gone. So i am guessing that his internal issues are coming back. I started to see some slightly raised scales on his right side this morning. I have put a heater in his tank to get the temp up a few degrees, maybe that will help him be a bit more active.

20160113_173323.jpg20160113_173056.jpg20160113_173149.jpg