Which filter should I get? 10 gallon tank.

Calamity

Which filter?  

3 members have voted

1. 1. What filter should I get?

• Aqueon Quiet flow 10
    • Aqueon quiet flow 20
    • Aqua Clear 20
    • Tetra whisper EX20
    • Tetra whisper pf10
    • Api superclean 5-20
    • Other (post!)

Okay so I got a little peeved off at my Aqueon Evolve 8 and its lack  of flow and horrible design and setup... Uggh so Im ditching that....

Ive got everything swapped over into a standard 10 gallon that a friend gave me free.

Problem is the filter it came with, A marina S15 or something.... is missing the U joint that connects the motor and the filter housing :(

Obviously I realised this after I had the tank set up and plants are in and everything but plugging in the filter left..... urgh...

So Petsmart is having a sale right now.  Aqueon filters are cheap.  I could order one online today and pick it up in store Monday so I can get the sale price....

But I cant decide what size to get... I normally pick larger filters, but these aqueon ones don't have the ability to adjust flow like most hagen ones (fluval, aquaclear). Theres actually plenty of spots to stick loose ceramic bio media in these filters and I like the ease of cartridges, having used a Quiet Flow for years previously.....

The Quiet Flow 10, does 100GPH, and takes medium cartridges. $21.59 ( can get for $14)
http://www.petsmart.ca/fish/filters/aqueon-quietflow-aquarium-power-filter-10-zid36-5141063/cat-36-catid-300088?_t=pfm%3Dcategory

The Quiet flow 20, does 125GPH and takes Large cartridges.  $29.69 (can get for $22)

http://www.petsmart.ca/fish/filters/aqueon-quietflow-aquarium-power-filter-10-zid36-5141063/cat-36-catid-300088?_t=pfm%3Dcategory

I can order both sizes of cartridges from a wholesaler no issue.  But I have a surpluss of the large ones laying around since I own a Quiet Flow 30 (my brother now has it) and the Evolve 8 took large cartridges as well.

I currently run a Aquaclear 20 on my 5 gallon tank.  And sew up my own charcoal pouches for it.  Those are $30.99 and it has the ability to control the flow.  This filter does 100gph on full.  Unsure how many it does when you move the U joint to a lesser flow. 

Perhaps a Tetra Whisper EX20? $26.99 - 100GPH - Ive never used this brand or filter before.  I can order cartridges for this wholesale.

http://www.petsmart.ca/fish/filters/tetra-whisper-ex20-filter-system-zid36-5132134/cat-36-catid-300088?_t=pfm%3Dcategory

I could get something temporary and order a Tetra Whisper PF10 for $15.85 - 90 GPH

http://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/tetra-whisper-pf10-filtration-system

Api Superclean 5 - $23.99 - Again never used or seen one of these filters before. Unsure how the media inside looks, cant order API wholesale.  - 100GPH

http://www.petsmart.ca/fish/filters/api-superclean-power-filter-zid36-20807/cat-36-catid-300088?var_id=36-20807&_t=pfm%3Dcategory

Other suggestions?

I just cant decide what I want or what I should get.  Urgh....

Id rather get a Quietflow because I know their quiet, and they work well, but I cant decide what size or I don't know

Cost is a factor....

Its for a betta and some shrimp.... Id love to be able to use the filter on a larger tank too like a 20gal... but I guess that's not important.
The betta in question is a pretty decent swimming, hes not super long finned like Red.

I don't know why im posting a photo.... it looks like complete crap right now :( I need midground and foreground plants.... tank.jpg

Edited by Calamity

AC 20 all the way! My favorite filters ever. I have an AC 20 on my ten gallon. I have it with a sponge, a blue/white marineland padding, and two bags of ceramic media.

I just don't like the cost, or the noise....

And I always have impeller issues or motor issues with Hagan products.

My goldfish tank has a Fluval FX 4 or whatever.... and Its all ready on its 2nd motor in 4 years.  And even that one constantly needs a jump start every time it gets unplugged.

after 5 years Ive finally gotten used to the noise of my AC20 in my bedroom on my 5 gal.

If I could get a Fluval FX 1 or 2 for dirt cheap id rather that over an AC since it just filters better and forces water thought better.

But GAHHHH

This is why I would spend half an hour picking out $1 worth of 5 cent candies when I was little :( I cant make decisions....

I was leaning towards the Aqueon ones because I can get them directly from the warehouse.  Same with the Tetra ones.  I cant however order directly from hagen. 

Like I think I really want the QF 20.... but im worried 125 will be too strong for a betta....
But I mean I don't feel like the flow is insane in my GF tank even with way more then 10x filtration.  Or when I had 2 massive HOB and a canister on my 90. And I mean the AC20 is on my 5G and it isn't terrible for flow but its set to low....

I could further baffle the QF with a sponge....

It only claims to do 25gph more then the QF 10 or AC 20.... but the ac 20 has flow adjustment

I just don't like the cost, or the noise....

And I always have impeller issues or motor issues with Hagan products.

My goldfish tank has a Fluval FX 4 or whatever.... and Its all ready on its 2nd motor in 4 years.  And even that one constantly needs a jump start every time it gets unplugged.

after 5 years Ive finally gotten used to the noise of my AC20 in my bedroom on my 5 gal.

If I could get a Fluval FX 1 or 2 for dirt cheap id rather that over an AC since it just filters better and forces water thought better.

But GAHHHH

This is why I would spend half an hour picking out $1 worth of 5 cent candies when I was little :( I cant make decisions....

I was leaning towards the Aqueon ones because I can get them directly from the warehouse.  Same with the Tetra ones.  I cant however order directly from hagen. 

Your AC makes noise? I have had my AC 70 for 6 years now and not a peep. It had it's impeller changed about 6-12 months ago. The AC 20 is 10 years old and has it's original impeller. Not a peep. The Aqueon 50 we put on the plant tank at work 7-9 months ago is beyond loud. I have cleaned it many times and it just does not stay quiet.

I just recorded a video but they are SO loud on video :rofl not nearly as loud in person. I can't tell they are even on in person. I'll post it anyway though :rofl

My 20, its a very subtle humm i guess. A healthy filter noise.

Sounds kinda like your video just quieter haha.

Every so often the impeller makes a bit more of a shakey noise which bugs me. But ive learnt to appreciate it in my bedroom now that my fans are off for the winter. I like a consistant white noise.

And perhaps because the aqueon quiet flows have the motor and impeller on the inside of the tank side you dont hear it, and if the water levels high enough you hear absolutely nothing.

My ac 110 and fx4 are horrid. The one on the fx4 right now is like somebody rattling nails in a tin can at times. I think thats actually the motor from the 110 because the original one quit. Thankfully they were interchangable.

The marina pump in the 10g now is pretty quiet too. Wish the ###### U joint would show up.... i swear i saw it when i emptied the tank the other day and looked at it trying to figure out what to clean it with.... but maybe that was the filter body.... urgh. Marina is Hagen as well i believe....

The ac and fluval products are just generally noisy compared to the Whisper or Quiet flow.

And expensive haha.

Im just more worried the 125gph from the qf20 might be too much.... but i wont know unless i test it. Crap.

Edited by Calamity

Thats what all my Hagen filters sound like [emoji14] the quiet flow my brothers using is dead silent haha

Maybe ill phone Hagen in the morning and see if theys be willing to sell a U joint for the marina.

Im more worried about GPH otherwise i would have bought the QF20 last night.

Edited by Calamity

Omg ever since i started this topic i feel like my ac20 in my bedroom is louder. Urgh......

That horrid noise of the impeller rubbing or clicking or GRRRRR....

And i dont know why i keep calling the fluval ones fx.... their the c series filters.... fluvals HOB series. Just fancier interior then the ACs same motor.

Im going to petsmart tomorrow..... cant decide what ill get....

Ill still phone hagen in the morning.

My Cockatoo is a hagen product as well! Lol

I'd voting Marineland brand lol

Which one?

I have easy access to the replacement cartridges but not the bio wheel they all have. Their a few bucks more then the aqueon ones. And i have never personally used one so i dont have experience with the noise level.

• Supporter

I have had 3 only one was loud and it was the emperor 400 I believe. It had duel impellers that caused excessive noise. I also have a 150 (I used it for a 10gal betta/tropical tank) and a 300 I had on a 29 gal tropical tank. Both of those where virtually silent. The bio wheel may make noise when first startling up but as soon as a little biofilm builds that goes away. You could use a little Vaseline to achieve the same effect sooner I believe but I never did that. In my experience they are probably my favorite hob filters.

I also have had several aqueon and they are good filters and quite. I just feel that the maineland is built better and a littler higher quality. I also have several ACs but like you said they are not the quietest by far. Tetra filters I would not even look at the last two I had (one came in a kit and the other was a replacement for the first kit filter) both did not last a week before leaking and falling apart.

That said I'm canisters all the way now. I even have a small canister on my 10gal Platy tank.

Haha i definitely dont have room for a canister filter ;) i have my own grudge against those things.

Hardest decision of my life. Uggh. Stupid filters.....

Ideally id like to stick with a brand that my moms vet clinic can order wholesale so the cartridges dont cost so much (aqueon, tetra, or marineland)

Mind you the Betta going in the tank has been living in a 1.5 gallon pail for the last 5 months..... so hes not too used to any kind of flow. But given what he looked like when i got him.... hes a reasonably strong swimmer.

I think he will just be happy to have room to cruise.

Wish i had the pipe for the marina filter.... problem solved!!!

I caved and got the Quiet flow 10.
Cartridges are WAYY cheaper then any other brand.  Plus with that bio rack thinger, its the perfect spot to put ceramic bio media. 
Got some more plants for that tank too.
First time having Vals and an Anubias plant.

Water wisteria never lasted long in the GF tank so we'll see how it does in this tank.
Fingers crossed. 

This ones actually noisier then my QF 30 lol

I can hear the humm from my bedroom.... crap.

Though maybe the humm is the dryer....

Ill find out when i try and sleep tonight lol

I have 60 days to bring it back to petsmart anyway so i might play around with a few before im happy... and just transfer my bio media.

The flourescent makes it look so dull too.....

Grrrr

Reds tank was way easier.

560d02bd5a8745cf609829ac27ce3a97.jpg

Edited by Calamity

Most filters are louder when you plug them in brand new because there isn't any bio film slime on the impeller or anything. It may or may not quiet down after a few weeks. If it doesn't try the AC 20 :P that's the cheapest in my opinion. I only replace the sponge when it starts falling apart :idont they don't need to be replaced too often. And then I do not use carbon, I use the marine bland blue and white padding, then I use micron padding, and then my ceramic bio media on top. I can't remember the last time I spent any money on my filters :rofl

Most filters are louder when you plug them in brand new because there isn't any bio film slime on the impeller or anything. It may or may not quiet down after a few weeks. If it doesn't try the AC 20 :P that's the cheapest in my opinion. I only replace the sponge when it starts falling apart :idont they don't need to be replaced too often. And then I do not use carbon, I use the marine bland blue and white padding, then I use micron padding, and then my ceramic bio media on top. I can't remember the last time I spent any money on my filters :rofl

In all honesty, they actually didn't have any AC20's :P it was the only empty filter spot. hahaha

But Petsmarts return policy is pretty awesome, so we shall see what happens!!!

And yeah I'm still on the original sponge in my AC 20 for my 5gal.... its getting old haha.  But I do use carbon, I buy large jugs of it and just sew my own pouches up.  I used to use that purigen stuff but then forgot I had it.  I'm far to lazy to try and re-use it... so much easier to just grab a new baggie and toss the old. 

Then my baggie of ceramic bio media on top, again just as old as the sponge.  However many years that is....

Even my FluvalC4, I didn't buy new foam pads for that because the singles they sell don't have the micro foam with them, their just large holes.  So I try and rinse and reuse.... its kinda nasty looking.... definitely not white anymore. But its not falling apart either. 

May I ask why you use carbon? :) I haven't used it in I would say 3-4 years :o

I use it because I have a giant jar of it I need to use up....

uhmm....

and....

Not that I care that it pulls anything out of the water.... But I know it serves some purpose. Get rid of any vocs, organics, and crap.

I actually don't use any on my Salt tank or Goldfish tank. Because I'm honestly too lazy.... Actually there might be a bag in my salt tank.... and if there is.... it's probably been sitting in the sump for 3 years.... whoops....

The jar was purchased when we got a water fountain for the cats so I could make my own replacement filters for their drinking water, and I got far to lazy for that.