Sign in to follow this  
jenzaar

Redness in one ranchu's wen, maybe a hole in another's?

Not sure if any action is required but here's all the info

* * Ammonia Level(Tank) 0ppm

* * Nitrite Level(Tank) 0ppm

* * Nitrate level(Tank) 5ppm

* * Ammonia Level(Tap) 0.5ppm

* * Nitrite Level(Tap) 0

* * Nitrate level(Tap) 0-5

* * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) pH: 7.6 / KH: 2-3 drops / GH: 7 drops

* * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) pH: 7.6 / KH: 2-3 drops / GH: 7 drops

* Other Required Info:

* * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API test drops

* * Water temperature? About 76

* * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 125 gallons, running over a year

* * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? Fluval 406, AC 110 (AC 70 recently crapped out so only the two for now)

* * How often do you change the water and how much? Weekly, 80 percent

* * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? 2 days ago (Thursday Dec. 17) - changed about 80%

* * How many fish in the tank and their size? 7 fish - 5 which are between 60g and probably 90g / 2 juvenile fish, maybe 15g each. Also 2 nerite snails

* * What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime, and i have crushed coral in the Fluval just for kicks

* * What do you feed your fish and how often? NLS Thera A, frozen bloodworms, and duckweed are the main foods. Nori and Sho-impact about once a week

* * Any new fish added to the tank? No

* * Any medications added to the tank? No

* * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.

Everyone has had at least 1 month QT prior to going in the tank. Minimum 4 rounds Prazi

2 juvenile fish added 6 months ago

Main tank had 2 rounds prazi, then one round when those fish went in.

* * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?

The white ranchu (Plumbean) has had these red marks coming up in the last month or so. Maybe 5 total, all went away in a day or so. Seemed to be under the scale, never raised

Noticed one that IS raised yesterday evening.

This morning i noticed a red spot on his wen.

I checked everyone else and noticed what seems to be a hole or separation in Betty's (telescope ranchu) wen.

* * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?

Not really.

Meds on hand:

Metromeds, tri-sulpha, kana, metro

My LFS has lots available and can order anything online too

Apologies if I've missed anything - doing this on my phone. Here are pics of the affected areas, and videos. I'll try to get better shots with my husband's phone soon. Also have 10 gal and 20L qt tanks available.

Screenshot_2015-12-19-12-54-11.png

Screenshot_2015-12-19-13-38-40-1_1.png

P

B

It doesn't look particularly frightening.  If it has been a long time since quarantine, you might have a little fluke build up.  This can lead to bacterial infections at the sites of fluke attachments.  I suggest the following:

Set up a hospital tank for the affected fish  with prazi.

Do a salt dip with each of the affected fish before moving them into the hospital tank.  Swab any lesions with betadine.  

Treat the main tank with prazi as well.  

A little fluke buildup i can handle.

I will set up the 20l tomorrow, somewhere. My husband would whine if it weren't Betty going in.

Thanks for the link for salt dips... Been a while. I will probably slip the betadine swab because i have no idea what that is or where to find it. :rofl

Gonna visit my pal.google and see if it's an easy pharmacy trip.

Thanks Sharon! :)

It's iodine.  You get it in the drugstore.

Haha, of course the one on the white fish goes away the next morning. :doh11:

I think i'd still like to get them in qt and into a salt dip though, if these red dots could be fluke related? :hmm:idont

Edited by jenzaar

Flukes create tiny wounds where the holdfast attaches.  These present an opportunity for bacteria to infect.  Skin,  scales, and slime coat, all intact, present a very effective barrier to surface infections.  

I have been so busy i never got them into qt. :donthit:

They both look okay to me today - would it be okay to to salt dips on the 2 fish, and treat them all with prazi in the main tank? :idont

Normally i wouldn't cut corners but being run down and busy this week, it could almost be safer that way.

Sure.  Do a series of three dips at two day intervals.

Sure. Do a series of three dips at two day intervals.

Aahh that really takes a load off!

Thanks for telling me exactly what i wanted to hear. :thumbs::)

(and that was not sarcasm if it came off that way)

:rofl Plumbean didn't make it 15 seconds.

Betty is going strong :flex: but I'll try him again, this time at 1%.

I'm asking this way late, but should I have done more than one round Prazi? :idont

I'm asking this way late, but should I have done more than one round Prazi? :idont

How are they?

How are they?
They seem okay.

A little sitting here, a little sitting there. :idont

Plumbean's wen is fine, i saw one more red dot but at this point I'm just trying to ignore them.

Betty's wen looks good too. I saw a little slime coat fluff on that one area so tomorrow I'll try to get a good look and see if it's any different underneath.

I just don't know if another round is a good idea after such a long break? I'm rusty on my fluke life cycle haha, but it seems like i gave a nice chunk of time for any strong guys and eggs to become resistant? I'm confused :crazy:

Goodness! Just found this lil gem

B

Little bacterial cyst? Only reason I'm asking is because if i don't, then it will be something worrisome!

Id do another round :)

Okay thanks. I will tomorrow :)

Here we go again... He had a big red spot a few days ago. Went away after the next day.

Came up in the same spot, but now it's open. ?

P

Couple pictures in case the video can't be viewed for whatever reason

20160118_084645_Burst02.jpg

Screenshot_2016-01-18-08-50-51_1.png

(his belly is not swollen on one side, it's just the angle there)

Hope he feels better soon.

Thanks dawn :)

I'm a little late to this one but I would have just left them alone from the get go. They have plenty of water and you have great husbandry protocols so I wouldn't stress about every little knick and bump.

Subjecting them to unneeded treatments and QT's will only make things worse and this could possibly be manifesting itself in the recent red area. I would watch that sore and ONLY if it worsens would I give a light scrub with iodine or PP on the end of a swab......but only if it worsens.

For an analogy,  it's like taking your child to the ER because he scraped his arm and they start him on antibiotics. Good clean water is always the best way, especially since you have not added any new fish recently......because then my answers might be different. 

Good luck

Edited by jetman73

It's not so much about treating the sores, but figuring out what's causing them.

If it happened now and then i wouldn't be so bothered, but they come up at a weekly basis. While they do go away on their own, I don't know that there isn't an underlying issue, or whether my other fish could somehow be affected. And that's what is troublesome.

Want to add that i am with you on needing only clean water for injuries and wounds. I know what a huge difference that makes.

Edited by jenzaar

It's not so much about treating the sores, but figuring out what's causing them.

If it happened now and then i wouldn't be so bothered, but they come up at a weekly basis. While they do go away on their own, I don't know that there isn't an underlying issue, or whether my other fish could somehow be affected. And that's what is troublesome.

Want to add that i am with you on needing only clean water for injuries and wounds. I know what a huge difference that makes.

Hey hun... you could try the silver dips :idont

Hey hun... you could try the silver dips :idont

I would hold off i think, until there was an idea of what we're shooting at.

It really may be nothing, i just hate the thought of taking it lightly and this possible "thing" to take its toll.

What prazi product did you use?

It was PraziPro, the liquid.

Just for documentation.

706B31EF-37BF-4F1A-AB8C-109EAAFED7A5.jpg

E8486A08-9FFE-497B-8854-AFE7755BA655.jpg