My Anubias made a Flower!

Anorea

Oh man, I love Mr.Amano! Is that the only way the crypts will flower? My tank is sort of deep. Maybe i can make a shelf of some sort in the tank.

You should check these out. http://ripariumsupply.com/products-page/riparium-supply/

Also checkout YouTube videos on DIY Riparium.

Edited by LisaCGold

One of my anubias recently flowered for the first time ever too! (Well first time I've had one flower in my tank anyway lol)

Oh wow, how cool! With all these Anubias blooming, maybe it's flower season? XD

Oh man, I love Mr.Amano! Is that the only way the crypts will flower? My tank is sort of deep. Maybe i can make a shelf of some sort in the tank.

You should check these out. http://ripariumsupply.com/products-page/riparium-supply/

Also checkout YouTube videos on DIY Riparium.

Oh how cool!! Thanks!

To the best of my knowledge, yes -- the spathe typically only forms when grown emersed. Crypt flowers aren't amazing to look at though, so you're not missing out on much. If anything I think they're just interesting. A lot of aquatic plants flower, although they're more likely to flower emersed than submersed.

I was looking around in my shrimp tank today and Guess What? The anubias has sprouted a flower! So cool! Maybe one day the anubias in the main fish tank will decide to shoot off some flowers.

Oh how cool! I wonder if it's flowering season for them.

Unless your tank is unheated and subject to temperature swings (which could be construed as seasonal changes), it shouldn't matter. Like fish, plants don't know what time of year it is when kept in an aquarium.

• Helper

Nope. They won't grow tall enough to grow out of the tank. What I meant was that if you grew one emergent (in a little glass vase, pot plant, etc) you'd end up with a flower. Growing aquatic plants out of water in a little container has become quite popular in recent years (also known as wabi kusa). It was popularised by the late aquascaper Takashi Amano. :)

I've actually had several grow out of the water. They're rigid enough to do it if it isn't too deep :)
Oh how deep was the tank where that happened? The pictures i posted are of my 36G bow front. It's pretty deep.

18 inches deep :)

18 inches deep :)

Oooooh, coolio, thanks!

Unless your tank is unheated and subject to temperature swings (which could be construed as seasonal changes), it shouldn't matter. Like fish, plants don't know what time of year it is when kept in an aquarium.

Well, I don't have a heater set up in the aquarium, but the temperature stays pretty consistent. :P Thanks for the info.