Have made a terrible mistake me thinks... is this fungus or worse?

Ree

Hi,

Ammonia Level (tank): less than 0.25ppm

* Nitrite Level (tank) only just registering the slightest colour change.

• * Nitrate level (Tank) 25ish getting WC tomorrow
  • * Ammonia Level (Tap): 0
  • * Nitrite Level (Tap) 0
  • * Nitrate level (Tap) 0
  • * Ph Level, (Tank) (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) PH 7.9

• * Ph Level, (Tap) (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 8.0

•  
  •  

• Tank information:
    • * Brand of test kit (drops or strips): API Drops
    • * Filter name and size (GPH/LPH) Biospon 185? a twin sponge filter with a bio media cup incorporated below each sponge.
    • * Additives and conditioners: Prime, flourish, excel, red (iron supplement)
    • * Water temperature (With or without heater- please specify): 26degC, with heater
    • * Last water change date: 2 days ago
    • * Tank size (Gallons or litres): 38L.
    • * Fish in the tank (species and number): 5 baby guppies, 6 shrimp, pond snails and two ramshorn snails.
    • *What is your water change schedule? Like how much and how often? Normally do 10-20%twice a week.
    •  Any new fish added into the tank: Yes 3 days ago
      -If Yes: Were they quarantined? No - they had been previously treated and were in my pond.  Bought them in to help hold the cycle while I waited for new fish.  BIIIIG mistake?
      -If Yes: *
    • List prior health issues in tank: The guppies did have infections before cured with metro 3 weeks prior to moving these little babys to the pond when they were 1 week old.  They would be maybe 5-6 weeks old now and appear quite small.  I rehomed the guppies, downgraded the tank from the 100L to a 38L reusing all the sand and plants in the 38L.  The 38 has been running for 5 weeks with the shrimps and two bettas until a week ago.  I prazied the bettas on the 5th as prior to this was unsure if I could do this before due to the shrimp being there.  Bettas fought on the 10th so pulled them both out of the tank and put separate accomodations no longer in this tank (the bettas had a divider in and I have no idea how they got through!)  Added the 5 guppies from the pond on the 11th to hold the cycle (there ladies and gents is my mistake... did not QT from the outside water source to the inside :thud ).  They have been in the tank 3 days. On the second day (yesterday) I noticed flashing in one guppy so treated the tank with prazi.
    • * Medications previously added to the tank: Prazi on the 5th and the 13th of this month
    • * Medications on hand: Aquarium Salt, Epsom Salt, Kana Plex, MetroPlex, Prazi,
      Affected fish information:
      Diet- brand and amount/duration of feeding: Twice a day a small amount of either crushed NLS TheraA+ pellets or Aquaone tiny betta pellets
    • * Any unusual behaviour: Swimming slowly, was just swimming at the top of the tank.  Slow reactions.
    • * Any unusual findings on fish and in tank: Fish in question has whitish threads protruding from her anal region, with redness immediately adjacent to the threads.  I can see no other abnormalities. Remaining 4 fish show no signs of abnormalities.
      Affected fish in quarantine or in main tank: Pulled her out and she is in a 4L icecream container.  I don't have a heater for this tank, but it has been very hot here the last few days so water temps have been stable.  The other guppies I have removed as well and are in a separate 4L container.
      Current medications being used on affected fish: Prazi. She is still in the water from the 38L tank until further instructions.

I had been having trouble with my air pump running the filter the week before last, and repaired it when I got the parts (48 hours after it stopped working).  Then it died again two days later... so the day after I replaced it with another air pump I have here that was working... it started dying not yesterday but the day before.  I have another air pump on order, but there is not much I can do till it gets here (should be here around the 16-18th).  We are in a remote location... no pet shops close.  I have already used my spare to fix the problem and it died too.

So we have been having some filter issues, but the plants must be doing a good job as the ammonia has not risen above .25ppm.  I have been keeping a close eye on it and reduced feeding to accommodate the lack of filtration.  I have also increased the water changes to thrice weekly to accommodate the lack of filtration too.

OK... so this fish has been in my tank 3 days along with his/her 4 other mates... first day was fine, the next day it hid, just thought it was skittish from being in the pond and now in a tank, then tonight it comes out looking like this (I am really sorry these are the clearest shot I have): 

P1110653%202_zpsmiv8ixnt.jpg

P1110650%202_zpsctcerai3.jpg

The other 4 fish are fine, showing no signs of illness at all, not even any flashing now from the prazi.  These fish were only supposed to hold the cycle for the next two weeks till my blue eyes arrive.  The Blue eyes are due to be posted out to me on Monday 21st.  Once the blue eyes arrive these fish were going into a medium sized pond (aprox 2mX3mX0.3m). 

The shrimp are also showing no signs of illness or distress.  The two girls are berried.

This is the tank on the left:

BLUE%20EYES%20TANK%20AND%20SIR%20BODSWOR

I realise now that even if I have treated and had these fish in the past, I need to QT prior to bringing them into an indoor tank.  Hindsight is 20/20!   :u035:  I feel so terrible for this fish, and for the others if I have endangered them through this mistake.  It literally makes me feel sick .

So please I need to know:

Is this a one off fungal infection....

Is it something else?

Is this colmnaris and I need to disassemble the tank and restart... hence the :krazy:

Do I need to keep this fish alive to treat to see what we are dealing with?

Can I euthanize him/her and put the others in the pond?

Should I not put them in the pond? (it has lots of frogs and tadpoles)

How long should I wait before I introduce new fish to the tank?

Please let me know ASAP so I know what to do and can stop my panic.  Thankyou soooooo very much!

AW I'm sorry ReeRee! Ihope someone is along to help you soon. I not good with guppies :(

Thanks Mandy :(

The guppy with the fungus died during the night.... the fungus is now twice the length it was before.... I will try to take pictures and upload.  I wish I had have followed my gut instinct and euthanatized him/her last night.  :cry  Poor little thing.  Does anyone have any ideas on what this is?  I just need to know one way or another. Please, anyone?

Edited by Ree

• Admin

Looks fungal. But whatever cause the injury was likely what killed him. I'm sorry!

Agree.... Looks like the fish had an injury and it got infected by fungus.... Do you have salt in this tank?

Looks fungal. But whatever cause the injury was likely what killed him. I'm sorry!

Hi Arctic Mama, Thankyou so much!

Its sad for this little fish, but at least he didn't suffer long I guess. I am wondering if I injured him when I got him out of the pond... I try to be really careful all the time with fish, and I used a cup not a net so that I wouldn't hurt him with the net... looks like I got it wrong anyways. Poor little fishie.

Agree.... Looks like the fish had an injury and it got infected by fungus.... Do you have salt in this tank?

Hi Koko,

No, I don't have salt as I was told not to salt any tanks with cherry red shrimps by the breeder. I don't know if this is right or not, but I am hoping that the problem will be rectified now there is more oxygen in the water? would this be right? or not? Im not sure. The new airpump came today so all air is flowing again... so far

Edited by Ree

• Admin

Well that will explain that.... Shrimps dont like salt that much :o

Lets just see where they go... If they where in a pond with no heater and then placed into one with a heater they can get fungus if there was a sore or something... Guppies need warm water in general to say healthy... There are wild guppies that do better in ponds. :)

Well that will explain that.... Shrimps dont like salt that much :o

Lets just see where they go... If they where in a pond with no heater and then placed into one with a heater they can get fungus if there was a sore or something... Guppies need warm water in general to say healthy... There are wild guppies that do better in ponds. :)

Okies Thanks Koko,

The pond water temp at the moment fluctuates between 24-28degC as we are in our summer... and it bees tooo hot... daytime temps vary between 32-40degC with the occasional 45degC, and the tank temp is at 25degC. I might put them back in the pond for the moment and keep an eye on them, then as the water starts to cool a little, and if they are healthy I will rehome them to someone who has a tank. I don't want to give away sick guppies, and I have already ordered my Blue eyes so have no tanks left for the guppies...

The guppies were a surprise. I didn't know they were even there till I went out to the terracotta pot pond (different one from Nudges) and was cleaning it out to put the swimming potatoes out there. Then found out hubby had put the water from the tank in that pond when we were clearing out the guppy tank... so there must have been some little teenie babies we didn't see.... there were SOOOOOO many guppies in that tank... over 200... and I lost count after about 150 :teehee

Edited by Ree