Sign in to follow this  
Morgan'sMiracles

Shrimp with betta?

Hello! I have a stunning marbled plakat who is constantly jumping the divider and attacking his tank mate, so i finally moved the other guy. Now my pretty plakat is alone in a 10g tank.

What do all of you think abiut the idea of shrimp?

What kinds are good for algae?

If not shrimp, what else could i get?

Thanks!

Neo shrimps like cherry or Rili would do great. As for the betta some are just turds and might try and eat them others wont.

Have a read through this thread.

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/123250-Is-a-Betta-Sorority-an-option-for-me?-or-Pacific-Blue-Eyes?-or-a-single-Betta?-HEEEELP

Mine are doing fine since my betta ignores them. If your tank is planted or has lots of cover then I'm sure the shrimp will do fine, but keep your eyes peeled. Bettas are generally peaceful with other fish as long as they don't pose a potential threat towards his dominance, but shrimp ARE part of a betta's natural diet, so again, keep your eyes peeled. My betta will generally flare at new fish and inspect, but this diminishes over time when he gets used to a tank mate.

Some fish I can think of off the top of my head are:

microrasboras-perfect for small aquariums, esp a 10 gallon.

danios-may fin-nip

tetras-bettas wont pay much mind to them, but they may fin-nip and that will stress your betta

guppies-colorful or fancy guppies cautioned! Bettas may mistaken them as younger male bettas, so be warned

I'd recommend getting some rasboras, or any fish that can stay within a 1-2" range because fish of that size are too big for a betta to eat, but too small to present any physical threat. Plus they are generally shy fish and stay out of the way for the most part.

Mine are doing fine since my betta ignores them. If your tank is planted or has lots of cover then I'm sure the shrimp will do fine, but keep your eyes peeled. Bettas are generally peaceful with other fish as long as they don't pose a potential threat towards his dominance, but shrimp ARE part of a betta's natural diet, so again, keep your eyes peeled. My betta will generally flare at new fish and inspect, but this diminishes over time when he gets used to a tank mate.

danios-may fin-nip

tetras-bettas wont pay much mind to them, but they may fin-nip and that will stress your betta

guppies-colorful or fancy guppies cautioned! Bettas may mistaken them as younger male bettas, so be warned

I'd recommend getting some rasboras, or any fish that can stay within a 1-2" range because fish of that size are too big for a betta to eat, but too small to present any physical threat. Plus they are generally shy fish and stay out of the way for the most part.

If i were to get a 1-2" fish, hiw many could i get? Could i still get shrimp?

Neo shrimps like cherry or Rili would do great. As for the betta some are just turds and might try and eat them others wont.

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/123250-Is-a-Betta-Sorority-an-option-for-me?-or-Pacific-Blue-Eyes?-or-a-single-Betta?-HEEEELP

I was actually reading that thread earlier! Ree is why i want shrimp!

This is hit or miss. Will depend greatly on the fish's behavior. Dwarf shrimps will be very tempting to bettas.

What have I started??? :teehee  I put one shrimp in with Sir Bodsworth Rugglesbie first to see his reaction, and he ignores them... sometimes he will watch them, but he never has attacked them at all... just not interested in them.  I don't know what he will be like with shrimplets yet though... yet to cross that bridge.  

My other betta is named for his shrimp munching prowess... Baron Nigel von Munchenhousen!  The poor shrimp got pulled out of his tank mighty quick!  The others I have not tried shrimp with yet. 

If you do find one of your bettas doesn't eat shrimp and the one in the ten gal does, just swap them over and all will be fine.... but still keep an eye on them to be sure... I do a shrimp headcount every day to make sure they are all there and ok.  No snacks yet! :teehee  

Oh and also I have LOTS of plants for them to hide in and moss and shrimpee houses.

Edited by Ree

What have I started??? :teehee I put one shrimp in with Sir Bodsworth Rugglesbie first to see his reaction, and he ignores them... sometimes he will watch them, but he never has attacked them at all... just not interested in them. I don't know what he will be like with shrimplets yet though... yet to cross that bridge.

My other betta is named for his shrimp munching prowess... Baron Nigel von Munchenhousen! The poor shrimp got pulled out of his tank mighty quick! The others I have not tried shrimp with yet.

If you do find one of your bettas doesn't eat shrimp and the one in the ten gal does, just swap them over and all will be fine.... but still keep an eye on them to be sure... I do a shrimp headcount every day to make sure they are all there and ok. No snacks yet! :teehee

Oh and also I have LOTS of plants for them to hide in and moss and shrimpee houses.

I don't have much for short plants in the 10g. I do have lots of tall plants, though, and i can cut them and replant. Lovely plant, hygro.

danios-may fin-nip

You can probably fit 5-8 fish in a 10 gallon along with your betta, or two small shoals of smaller fish along with your betta. I keep four celestial danios with my betta in a 5.5 long gallon and they seem pretty happy. Bio-load isn't really a concern for nano fish, as long as you are consistent with weekly water changes.

Important things you want to ensure are:

- fish dont pose any physical harm

- fish are smaller or similar-sized (remember, the bigger the fish, the bigger the risk)

- colorful fish (bettas may mistaken them for other betta)--in other cases, I've found that bettas will flare and approach these fish to inspect them rather than chase them

- hding places and covers; bettas will usually meander around the tank to find a quiet spot to chill; bettas dont like to stay in busy spots for too long

If you take all of that into consideration, chances are your betta will do fine with other fish. In my experience, I've found that bettas generally lash out at other tank mates when they are extremely threatened or stress. This could happen for multiple reasons (water quality, overcrowded tank, not enough hiding spots, disease, etc). One thing I like to do before picking out a betta at the store is grabbing one that I like and placing the bowl on another shelf with different bettas. 9 times out of 10, if the betta is quick to flare and lash out at other bettas, chances are he'll be aggressive to your other fish. If the betta simply flares and stares, but does not lash out, that betta will most likely do fine in a community setting. Again, this is not foolproof, but it gives you a good peak on how your betta will do in your tank. Be sure to not mistaken passiveness for ailments and lethargy.

danios-may fin-nip

You can probably fit 5-8 fish in a 10 gallon along with your betta, or two small shoals of smaller fish along with your betta. I keep four celestial danios with my betta in a 5.5 long gallon and they seem pretty happy. Bio-load isn't really a concern for nano fish, as long as you are consistent with weekly water changes.

Important things you want to ensure are:

- fish dont pose any physical harm

- fish are smaller or similar-sized (remember, the bigger the fish, the bigger the risk)

- colorful fish (bettas may mistaken them for other betta)--in other cases, I've found that bettas will flare and approach these fish to inspect them rather than chase them

- hding places and covers; bettas will usually meander around the tank to find a quiet spot to chill; bettas dont like to stay in busy spots for too long

If you take all of that into consideration, chances are your betta will do fine with other fish. In my experience, I've found that bettas generally lash out at other tank mates when they are extremely threatened or stress. This could happen for multiple reasons (water quality, overcrowded tank, not enough hiding spots, disease, etc). One thing I like to do before picking out a betta at the store is grabbing one that I like and placing the bowl on another shelf with different bettas. 9 times out of 10, if the betta is quick to flare and lash out at other bettas, chances are he'll be aggressive to your other fish. If the betta simply flares and stares, but does not lash out, that betta will most likely do fine in a community setting. Again, this is not foolproof, but it gives you a good peak on how your betta will do in your tank. Be sure to not mistaken passiveness for ailments and lethargy.

EDIT: And yes, you can still add in a couple shrimp along with those fish because they don't produce nearly as much waste as fish. Another perk to having shrimp is that they will scavenge any food that falls towards the gravel, which means less decaying food = more stable water conditions. At least that's what I've found.

EDIT: Accidentally did a double post, sorry! Feel free to delete the post above.

Edited by BobbyCheezpuffs

Thanks BobbyCheezePuffs! That's good to know. I actually got this betta as a colorless, unsexed fry about 1" long from an ebay seller with two siblings. Otherwise, i would've done an aggression check.

What about albino tiger barbs? Do they get too aggressive, or too large? I've always loved the way they look.

5-8 fish with a betta in a 10g is wayyyy to many..... bio load is a huge concern for any tank, especially smaller tanks where things can go wrong faster.

Bettas love space. Just plant the tank like crazy and get a good colony of shrimp going.

Ah, then not much you can do, but cross your fingers :P But I'm confident your betta will do just fine in a community setting because they aren't as naturally aggressive as people give them credit for...usually. Like I said, they only act out when their habitat doesn't suit their needs. In fact, my betta had unfortunately died last night from temperature shock (Stupid me tried to move him between tanks, but forgot to check the water temp :( ), so I ran to PetCo and picked up another guy this morning. He is still adjusting to the aquarium, but seems to be doing well with my danios and shrimps, for now.

Bettas are "territorial" so as long as your aquarium doesn't have any other fish that could challenge his dominance, he'll ignore them.

I don't think you can comfortably fit enough tiger barbs to keep either fish happy in a 10 gallon tank. If bio-load isn't a problem, you can probably get away with it by heavily planting the tank to compensate them seeing each other all the time. Fish need to feel secure.

Also, depending on the betta, feedings may be sketchy. From personal experience, some of my bettas will lash out at other fish that take their food (Because the king ALWAYS eats first), but like I said this can vary from betta to betta. I'd imagine tiger barbs can make feedings a lot more complicated as well. As a general rule, anything under 20 gallons is usually good for communities of up to two to three fish species under 2". Shrimp, you don't have to worry about unless you are adding them by the dozens.

EDIT: I disagree, 5-8 fish + a betta is not too much or a 10 gallon if you choose the right fish to accompany him. I've kept 5 ember tetras with otto catifsh in a 5.5 long for nearly a year now and water params are solid (0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, 30 nitrates) because I do 25-40% water changes weekly. Bio-load isn't generally a problem for fish under an inch if you aren't lazy about partial wc...at least for 5.5 gallons and up.

Edited by BobbyCheezpuffs

Those suggestions are way overstocked..... Holy cow!

Tiger barbs are major fin nippers and can get quite large. Way to big for a 10 gal and i wouldnt put them in any less then a 30.

Anything under 20gallons is enough room for perhaps a small group/school of a single species like danios..... not multiples.

Just because you can do something, doesn't mean you should.

I seriously doubt you can ask you fish if their happy. 0 ammonia 0 nitrites doesnt mean a low bio load it just means the tank is cycled and is nothing to be proud of... and those nitrates say it all. That is overstocked and you really should not be advising other people to follow you in those practices.

I'm not advising, I'm informing. I never said scoop up a dozen fish and stuff them in a 2 gallon planted tank did I? I think most people are over-thinking about water quality too much because when you think about it, I'm changing the same amount of water as I would for a 10 gallon regardless. To each his own I guess; my fish have been doing good so far for a year and I don't plan to fix what ain't broke. If I have problems, I'll let you know.

Those suggestions are way overstocked..... Holy cow!

Tiger barbs are major fin nippers and can get quite large. Way to big for a 10 gal and i wouldnt put them in any less then a 30.

Anything under 20gallons is enough room for perhaps a small group/school of a single species like danios..... not multiples.

Alright, thanks! Ive nevet really looked into barbs, so was just curious. I'll probably stick with shrimp, then. I don't trust my crazy betta not to murder the other fish. . . Thanks!

Its usually other fish that are more likely to beat up the betta. Unless you have a special turd of a betta they can make great community fish.

But those other stocking suggestions were way overstocked so please dont put that many fish in a 10gal :)

Shrimp are awesome.

Barbs, even the tiny little 10cent sized ones were the only fish that consistantly nipped my arms and fingers as i scrubbed their tank when i worked in pet stores when i was younger. Not even the piranha did that. We frequently had barbs in that were 3" + they do get quite large.

Its usually other fish that are more likely to beat up the betta. Unless you have a special turd of a betta they can make great community fish.

But those other stocking suggestions were way overstocked so please dont put that many fish in a 10gal :)

Shrimp are awesome.

Barbs, even the tiny little 10cent sized ones were the only fish that consistantly nipped my arms and fingers as i scrubbed their tank when i worked in pet stores when i was younger. Not even the piranha did that. We frequently had barbs in that were 3" + they do get quite large.

Ok, I won't. I can't really think of any little schooling fish I'd want anyways. Loads of shrimp will do nicely. Thanks!

neocaridina shrimp are much heartier then Caridina Shrimp.

Neos come in just about any colour. Red, clear, blue, orange, yellow, brown, etc.... youll want to stick to just 1 species otherwise if the different colours breed the babies are generally an ugly natural colour. So if you decide to get pumpkin shrimp dont get cherry shrimp.

I dont know where you live but heres a site that lists tons of shrimp so you can see the neo and cardina verieties.

http://www.shrimpfever.com/shop/category/shrimp/livestock-shrimp/neocaridinas-only/

neocaridina shrimp are much heartier then Caridina Shrimp.

Neos come in just about any colour. Red, clear, blue, orange, yellow, brown, etc.... youll want to stick to just 1 species otherwise if the different colours breed the babies are generally an ugly natural colour. So if you decide to get pumpkin shrimp dont get cherry shrimp.

I dont know where you live but heres a site that lists tons of shrimp so you can see the neo and cardina verieties.

http://www.shrimpfever.com/shop/category/shrimp/livestock-shrimp/neocaridinas-only/

Are those priced per shrimp?? Yikes! They're crazy expensive! I'll probably end up buying some off of eBay. How many do you recommend starting with?

Some colours cost more then others.

I have Red Rili and Cherries in my 5.5 gal (all the babies come out looking like cherries because their both red variety Neos)

Depending where you live, the costs can vary. Ebay is a great option however shipping can sometimes cost more then what the shrimp are worth. Where i live the closest store that sells shrimp is 45 mins away.

Cherries, lower end ones, frequently sell for well under $1.

There is a grading system within the colours too.... it gets complicated.

I would start with 20. If you want more get more. But 20 gives you a good number especially if some die.

These arent your boring old useless Ghost Shrimp. Different diet. Different use. Etc.

I love that shrimp site - wow, those are some gorgeous shrimp! :)

Some colours cost more then others.

I have Red Rili and Cherries in my 5.5 gal (all the babies come out looking like cherries because their both red variety Neos)

Depending where you live, the costs can vary. Ebay is a great option however shipping can sometimes cost more then what the shrimp are worth. Where i live the closest store that sells shrimp is 45 mins away.

Cherries, lower end ones, frequently sell for well under $1.

There is a grading system within the colours too.... it gets complicated.

I would start with 20. If you want more get more. But 20 gives you a good number especially if some die.

These arent your boring old useless Ghost Shrimp. Different diet. Different use. Etc.

Are there viruses shrimp can carry and guve to other shrimp or fish? I could probably get some at petco, and the rest from ebay. . . What special diet do they have??

Can you phone petco and see what they have?

I personally cant remember what kind of shrimp ive seen at petco and petsmart other then Ghost. Neos are more something you would find at independant fish store. Those tiny little hole in the wall places.

Another place online to look would be aquabid.

Neos love algae, plant matter, fish food. They can live fine with no supplemental feedings in a nice heavily planted tank.

As with any fish or invert they could have something, but most people dont bother qting shrimp.