Flukes! Need help

Georgia

Hikari USA simply distributes Hikari products in North America.  Development and manufacture of these products occurs in Japan.  I suspect the customer service people consist of low wage employees with a long list of FAQs (written in English by people who speak Japanese) and no one where they work knows any more than they do -- much like pet store employees.  

Many people use low levels of salt in their aquariums routinely.  It seems that  if Hikari scientists had determined that low levels of salt (but not the high levels in seawater) inhibited the activity of Prazipro, covering their butts would include a warning in the instructions to remove all salt.  I have searched for such a warning and haven't found it.

Interestingly, When googling Prazipro and salt, I found that virtually every fish forum has had this question come up.  Every one, other than Kokos, has concluded that it works just fine.

I don't think we should continue to recommend using salt with Prazipro, nor do I think we should discourage people who want to use salt with Prazipro from doing so.  Many people here have followed the prazi and salt routine using Prazipro with satisfactory results.  

• Helper

You know, I didn't actually get the vibe they were low level lackeys. Their customer service redirects brought me to someone very knowledgable. But they were explicit that they refuse to test the product with any other medication because they change so quickly and didn't want to spend the money to do it on an already expensive product. The concerns stemmed more from liability than anything else as far as I could tell.

I think recommending powdered praziquantel may be the way to go. That stuff is cheap and bulletproof compared to the Prazipro emulsion. That's my .02

So you contacted them too?  Did they tell you something other than you must not use salt?

The problem with powdered pure prazi is the lack of small quantities.  Perhaps someone could order a 100 gram container and make 10 gram quantities available to others.

• Helper

That might be a good idea. It's easy enough to split.

Yes, I contacted them to ask about a med combo I was recommending on the advice of Jared and they confirmed what he said - no bueno, we don't support any combining of substances with Prazipro because it may impact efficacy and we refuse to try them and verify. They did, however, confirm use in saltwater aquaria but wouldn't explain what specific gravity range was acceptable.

That's interesting because they told Jared that any salt at all would decrease the effectiveness of the product but that it could be used in saltwater aquariums because that is a "different kind of salt".  They told Alex that it lost effectiveness with salt over 0.2% (the reason he doubled the dose with 0.3% salt.)  They could not tell him why it worked with 3.5% salt in marine tanks.

At least "We don't know and we don't care,"  seems like a rational response.

• Helper

Yeah, I keep wondering if their policy is opposed to any additives period, and thus the confusing response. Betwee the price and drama I am more and more in favor of divvying up prazi powder :D

Okay, I just finished a 90% WC and added a pantyhose with 27 tablespoons of non-iodized sea salt into the tank near the air stone.

I checked my eBay order and it says the PraziPro has already been shipped from Ohio.  :thumbs:

Everything's going good so far! I will update tonight on how the fish react to the salt, if they do at all.

Lots of bottom sitting today. Not sure if that's bad or the salt is just doing its job. Both are still responsive to food, however. And for some reason, a crapton of planaria just appeared out of nowhere yesterday after the wc. Maybe they came out of the sand when I stirred it up. But anyways, they are harmless so I'm not worried about them.

• 5 weeks later...

I hope her fish are ok. Not sure when she returns from her trip.

Hi Bruce! I actually did return from my trip a few days ago and I am happy to report that I found my fish happy and healthy. :) The prazi seemed to have done the trick and I have seen significantly less splashing now.

Thank you everyone for your help and input.