Pool as a Pond?

FishyMandy

• Helper

I'm plannng on upgrading my pond, and Been looking at the different options considering the space I have (It has to be above ground I have nowhere to dig to put it in ground) and the different costs...and have come across this, wondering if it would be suitable to use as a pond

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Above-Ground-Swimming-Pool-BESTWAY-Deluxe-Splash-Frame-Garden-Outdoors-Play-/231776710520?hash=item35f6f7ef78:g:vPQAAOSwf-VWZVPg

I could buy pond liner for it and cover it for extra strength and security.It's by far the cheapest option I've found so far for that size

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Those stupid pools are actually pretty delicate.  And the metal bars begin to warp over time. 
The Vinyl also starts to stretch and warp. 
I see tons thrown out with the garbage every summer when people begin to start setting their pools up. 
We actually use my friends ex pool, which was like this except a 15ft circle, sliced the sides off it, and use the bottom of her pool to line the ground for ours with 2 layers of tarps and outdoor carpet.  Half of the poles from hers are bent.  Ours all ready has a couple spots that have ended up with pinhole leaks that weve had to patch. 

I bought two of the 4' square pools and have one in use. A number  of breeders are using these little pools and find them quite satisfactory. The size is perfect for grow outs.  

a video.  They will not last as long as a stock tank but I know people who have used the large pools for koi ponds for years.    

I have no idea why the frame should be damaged by use as a fish pond, although that is likely if it's a kiddie pool.  I built a surround for mine, which looks pretty good. Like you, I am prepared to put a lining in if the FL sun breaks down the plastic.

Edited by shakaho

If the ground is anything but 100% perfectly level, the vinyl will start to stretch because theres more pressure on one side vs another, which in turn helps warp those metal poles over time.  You don't need kids leaning on them to wreck them.  They also have a natural bow to them near the bottom which becomes more exaggerated over time which actually pulls down on the horizontal bars. 

• Helper

Thanks :) I want this to be a permanent replacement for my current pond so I want it to be as big as I can. My current pond is 600 Litres, The Pool in my first post is 2,300

I've found a website that sells a 2000 Litre Preformed pond but that is $829

Sounds like youre set on it either way.

Just be prepared to replace it at a moments notice. When they deicde to go, they can go fast.

So yeah do whatever you can to make it sturdy and prevent leaks and 100% flat ground with multiple layers on the ground to ensure its flat and not sharp.

These pools are cheap for a reason. And sure my experience is from using them as actual pools but where i live thats a few days of float and relax and then not using it for months on end.

Ponds are permanent and these pools arent designed to last years. So just be careful and know it may not last.

If i had to choose between one of those pools or that 900$ pond. Id trust the pond 100x over despite the cost difference.

Edited by Calamity

I simply placed the pool on a plywood platform on some concrete blocks to level it.   Then I framed the pool and used some siding for the surround.  The last step is to make a predator-proof cover to put  over the pond.  I've only had it up for a year.  In that amount of time I had already had to rebuild my first in-ground pond.  My second in-ground pond needed relining in six months.  Stock tanks last for decades.

I don't know anyone else here who has used these pools, but if you go to the Site for Goldfish Keepers or any pond forum and search Intex pools, you will find lots of people who have used them and have shared their experience.

• Helper

Hey...I haven't said I was 100% set on anything. Just money isn't something that is abundance here so wanted to get information on different options, it would take me MONTHS, probably at least a year to save enough for the preformed pond, whereas it wouldn't take near as long to get money together for this. I also need something that is definitely going to be strong enough to hold their own above ground, a lot of preformeds I've found seem to be made to go in ground.

Thanks Calamity and Sharon. I'm of course willing to spend extra time and money to make sure that the area is level and secure.

My preformed pond I have now ended up with a leak not long after I got it, it was second hand but was a pain to repair as well so it seems anything can have issues like that.

I've been looking into stock tanks as well, but haven't been able to find a local site that gives me base prices without submitting allllll of my info for a quote

I'm also still keeping an eye out for preformed ponds more in my price range

I've looked into building one myself and I absolutely love the idea,but am unsure if it's something I will be able to physically do.

Edited by FishyMandy

A member on here made one from cinderblocks. That looks good and because its all small piece by piece it is easier to do a few and take a break for the day. But wood would be much cheaper and imo looks way better. Can you hire local teens to help? Any partner or family?

Wood i atleast not too heavy. And if you take your time you can make it in chunks so youre not bending too much in a day. Then get help when it comes to actually putting it in place (picturing that link in my last post)

Building an above ground pond requires a lot of know-how, skills, and money.  The outward pressure of the water can bow and even break the sides unless the pond is very shallow.  I don't know what the costs are in AU, but here concrete blocks are much cheaper than wood.  You can find detailed builds of such ponds on any pond/koi forum, mainly as indoor ponds for winter.  Stock tanks are way cheaper and easier even if you build a surround to make them pretty.

How did you build your ponds, Calamity?

• Helper

Building an above ground pond requires a lot of know-how, skills, and money.  The outward pressure of the water can bow and even break the sides unless the pond is very shallow.  I don't know what the costs are in AU, but here concrete blocks are much cheaper than wood.  You can find detailed builds of such ponds on any pond/koi forum, mainly as indoor ponds for winter.  Stock tanks are way cheaper and easier even if you build a surround to make them pretty.

How did you build your ponds, Calamity?

Thats a big thing i was worried about, I'm not a skilled builder and am terrified of it breaking. I haven't looked into the cost of blocks but i know the wood alone would cost me about $300-$400 from what I've been able to find. Having something like a stock tank a preformed pond or the pool with a surround to make it look pretty is my favourite idea because I can have the pretty surround but be comfortable that it will hold water...in other words not relying on my handy work to hold it

That tub looks great.  I would set it up like my big green tub.

There are some relatively easy wood ponds to build using "landscape timbers."  I would make one, but my experience with these timbers is that it takes the termites anywhere from a year to three years to destroy them.  If you don't have termites, these are sturdy and attractive.

That through is nice but very shallow. I'd worry about temp swings and even sunburn if there isn't a lot of shade. I think a cinder block pond can look nice without a decorative surround. The blocks can also be painted.

My favorite and healthiest pond has that depth.  It does require shade.

I found concrete blocks like ours in Australia, but look at the price.   :o  If you go more than two tiers of blocks above ground you should use rebar and fill at least some of the blocks to stabilize the structure.  That gets pricey and I don't find cutting rebar fun.  

Concrete blocks look fine.