Sign in to follow this  
kiro

Question about salt

So, I have left the new goldies alone over the weekend to destress (by "alone" I mean I've not started any quarantine procedure), but I plan to start this oncoming week. 

I just wanted to know, if seasalt meant for cooking is okay to use? I live in UK and haven't seen anything that's be similar to Morton's Canning and Pickling salt. 

The tub of our sea salt says it is 100% salt, so I assume it is safe to use, but I want to check this just in case.

Yes, you can use any 100% salt.

Actually I have another question? In quarantine sticky it says 1% of salt is 1mg of salt per liter, right? So that'd mean that for 1% I'd need 40mg of salt.

40mg = 0,04g. That's literally four grains of the salt I have. Is this right?

Would you please link to the source of that information so we can fix it?  Why do you want 1% salt (10 g/l)?  We use less than that for a long-term bath, and more for a dip.

Here's what I find:

Metric system and the scale
0.1% salt is 1g/liter of tank water. There are 3.79 liters in a gallon. So, whatever size your tank is in gallons, multiply that by 3.79, and that is how many grams you need in order to raise the salinity of your tank to 0.1%. Here are some common sizes and the amount of salt you will need to raise the salt by 0.1%

- 10 gallons = 10x3.79 = 37.9 grams of salt to increase salt concentration to 0.1%
- 20 gallons = 20x3.79 = 75.8 grams of salt to increase salt concentration to 0.1%
- 29 gallons = 29x3.79 = 109.9 grams of salt to increase salt concentration to 0.1%
- 55 gallons = 55x3.79 = 208.5 grams of salt to increase salt concentration to 0.1%
- 75 gallons = 75x3.79 = 284 grams of salt to increase salt concentration to 0.1%

If you need to raise salt to more than 0.1%, then you will want to dissolve and add the correct amount of salt to your tank 12 hours later, and so on.
If your tank is already in liters, than the size of your tank is the amount of salt you will need, in grams, to raise the salinity to 0.1% (a 750L tank will need 750 grams of salt to be at 0.1%).

Hi Sharon. Thanks for all the help you're giving. I found the information here, I am especially talking about this part: 

• 2.) Raise salt to .3% for at least 1 week
  • Please see link on salt above when choosing a safe salt to use. Remember to completely dissolve salt before adding it to the tank.
  • Raise salt by .1% every 12 hours until you reach .3%
  • .1% = 1 teaspoon of salt per gallon if you are using a coarse grain salt and ¾ teaspoon per gallon if you are using a fine grained salt. For increased accuracy, use a digital scale to weigh out 1 mg of salt per liter of water

I want 1% of salt for my 40 liter (about 10,5 usg) to begin with, to raise it up to 3% as adviced above.

I admit I might have understood something wrong though, which is why I asked if the amount I got was right.

//Edit: I just realized there is (.) in front of the number, I hadn't realized it was there. I assume it indicates 0.1 etc? Apologies, I should have read more carefully.

Edited by kiro

OK, so you want 0.1% salt.  That is one gram per liter.  For a 40l tank, that is 40 grams.

Now I see why you became confused.  The failure to put a zero before the decimal point.  I will fix that.

So the amount of salt is 1 gram of salt per 1 liter? Because you said gram, but the link says mg;

For increased accuracy, use a digital scale to weigh out 1 mg of salt per liter of water

?

I assume it is gram, based of the table you provided? Sorry about all these questions.

Edited by kiro

Check the link again,please.

Ah, it has been fixed. Thank you very much, and sorry about all the trouble :)

You are the first person to report that error in the quarantine post.  I have read it dozens of time without detecting mg/l instead of g/l.

0.1%  salt is 1 tsp per gallon.

0.1%  salt is 1 tsp per gallon.

Is that what you recommend as routine, or as a palliative measure? I had read that 1 tsp per 5 gallons is the dosage.

Dosage for what?

I have a GF that is lying on it's side on the bottom. It  was recommended to me to use MetroPlex and aquarium salt. That is what the dose would be for.

Arctic Mama recommended 0.1% salt in your thread.  She knows her stuff.  You will have to ask whoever said 1 teaspoon per 5 gallons about what that is for. 

Arctic Mama recommended 0.1% salt in your thread.  She knows her stuff.  You will have to ask whoever said 1 teaspoon per 5 gallons about what that is for. 

,I just found it while trying to find the correct dosage. I will increase, as she will be in only 5 gallons starting tomorrow, so it's an easy fix.Tomorrow will be the second day of the Metroplex treatment. I know, that the odds are against me, but I just have to try. These GF have personalities, and I would feel guilty if I euthanized her without giving it my best shot.

You are the first person to report that error in the quarantine post.  I have read it dozens of time without detecting mg/l instead of g/l.

dang, that is a big error.  :donthit: