Need metronidazole dosage rates - please help

Wen73

I have a fish I need to treat with oral metronidazole. I know this forum often recommends oral dosing in fish that are eating. Could someone please tell me the standard Kokos recommendation for how much metro to put in the food and how much to feed. I would be extremely grateful because withoout this I'm going to lose a very valuable and much loved fish. This fish won't be eating for much longer so I really need a timely answer. I have googled extensively but can't find an answer elsewhere and posted all over the place and no one seems to know.

Thanks in advance

• Helper

Are you dosing with a syringe or slurry? Mixing it into food? Using commercial medicated fish food?

How much does the fish weigh and what is the treatment history, if any?

More information would be very helpful in us giving you correct data.

Fish weighs about 700 g. treating for hexamita infection. I live in Australia so only have human metro tabs. Planning on dissolving the antibiotic in a small amount of water and then soaking it up in the dry pellets and feeding. Would do this fresh each time I dose so that the antibiotic doesn't degrade. I'm thinking that splitting the daily dose into two feeds is probably best since this is what we do with humans. I've dosed the water for 4 days (at 600 mg per 100 litres) with some improvment but will run out of medication if I keep doing it that way. Plus oral dosing has to be more effective.

I finally found a dose rate in Merck vetinary manual of 50mg per kilogram of fish per day for 5 days.

Does that sound about right?

Thanks for replying

• Helper

That sounds within the ballpark - you should be able to crush up the tablet and make food with it, a gelatin based one might do it. The downside is the bitterness and keeping the goldfish from spitting it out! Let me double check with one of our Australian ladies and make sure I'm not missing something crucial about the metro you have available to you, but I was gong to suggest dividing your standard dose in quarters and serving that quarter as a slurry in two meals per day.