Can sand get stuck to the wen?

Hey all,

I just got a tiny new ranchu, Piglet, a few weeks ago! He is doing really well so far and already seems to be growing so fast! One question -- he is red and white, but lately I've noticed a dark speck above his left eye. I use black sand as substrate in my tank. Can sand get stuck to/in the wen?? If so, could this potentially be a problem? Or could it just be his coloring? I've attached a photo but you can't really see the spot I'm talking about -- I'll try and get a better one under the tank lights in a bit. It's that grayish shadow above his left eye.

IMG_20151205_124624780_zpsjlgape5j.jpg

Edited by misssmountain

Yes sand can get stuck to your fish.

The finer the sand the better it sticks, ive had my parents panic thinking one of my salt fish had ich but he just had sand stuck all over him. 
Not sure about imbedding itself that deep in the wen however...

But that's not to say this is what this is. 

Hopefully the koko helpers will be around soon.

Could be sand, of his wen is one of the "loose types" as in, if you press on the ridges in his wen, does the growth part between your finger? If he's got a more solid type of growth that doesn't part along the ridges, then I don't see how it could be the sand getting in.

If you just got him it could be signs of having been exposed to elevated ammonia levels either before you got him or recently since you've been housing him.

Yes sand can get stuck to your fish.

The finer the sand the better it sticks, ive had my parents panic thinking one of my salt fish had ich but he just had sand stuck all over him.

Not sure about imbedding itself that deep in the wen however...

But that's not to say this is what this is.

Hopefully the koko helpers will be around soon.

[emoji33]

I dont think that is sand .... it looks to be the start of a sore... I would make sure that the water is clean and keep an eye out :)

Sorry I couldn't really get a better picture. It looks exactly the same so far...I mean really it looks like a piece of sand embedded itself in there! But yes, will be keeping an eye on it and see if it changes. 

Oh yeah, I also forgot to mention -- I'm pretty sure he and Nacho spawned recently (although I never saw any eggs, because her tail was looking a little bit up and she was missing a scale). Pigglet did have another black smudge on his face, which has already come and gone. I was reading that sometimes after spawning, some smaller injuries can cause a black smudge or spot as they heal, which would all make sense if that's what happened.

But the other spot looks different...like a...piece of sand. LOL.

My fish have gotten (black) sand stuck to them (especially when I used to use CaribSea, which was finer than my current sand)--once up my fantail's nostril (!) and the other on her little wen and side. The fantail is mostly white so it looked like she had a black thing growing inside her head, which freaked me out for a while before I realized that she didn't care and it was moving around in there. However, this only lasted a day or so. My fish's wen isn't very big though. I agree with others here that the dark shade above your fish's eye doesn't quite look like a speck to me, but perhaps I am not seeing very well.