Wanting metronidazole advice for hexamit

• * Ammonia Level(Tank) 0
  • * Nitrite Level(Tank) 0
  • * Nitrate level(Tank) 20
  • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.6
  • Other Required Info:
    • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API master test kit. Drops
    • * Water temperature? 29 degress celsius
    • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 550 litres - 3 weeks but with preexisting media
    • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? 2 cannister
    • * How often do you change the water and how much? once a week 30 %
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? today 50%
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? 1 Flowerhorn
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? Hikari cichlid
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? Not yet
  • * Any medications added to the tank? day 4 of metro in water 600 mg per 100 litres
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. as above
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? small pit on front of head, white stringy poo
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? Lethargic, hanging at back of tank still eating
  •  

So this isn't about a goldfish (although I keep them too) but I'm not having much like finding this information elsewhere and I have a feeling someone here will know.

I purchased a large 33 cm flowerhorn 3 weeks ago and he became unwell a week ago. One small pit suggestive of early hole in the head disease - although this is getting smaller with treatment. But the fish is unwell. He is lethargic and has had some stringy poo indicative of intestinal lining. In flowerhorns from what I've read a likely culprit of this is hexamita infection. The treatment is metronidazole and most flowerhorn keepers seem to just put it in the water. I'm on day 4 of this and at times I think he seems a bit better and then at other times not. Poo not yet normal. I would really like to treat orally with medicated food because it will be more effective and won't mess with my water quality. And if he doesn't improve on oral medication then I know to try something else. I have a bacterial bloom in the water from the metro and am having to do a big water change daily which he doesn't tolerate as well as a goldfish would. I am also going to run out of medication.

This fish weighs around 700 g. I think the best way to administer food would be to soak his regular food in say a teaspoon of water that has the correct dose of metro in it. So what would be an appropriate daily dose of metro in mg?

I'm in Australia so access to meds is limited but I can get (human) metro up to a point. I have enough for as much oral dosing as I would need.

Thanks in advance for any insight. I know this is an unusal request but I figure treatment of hexamita is probably the same, whatever the species of fish.

Cheers, Nicola

:hi

Can you post a few pics of the area of concern?  I think the best way to administer medicated food would be to make gel food and add the metro to that . . .  

I'm not sure that adding metro to the water would cause a bacterial bloom.  :hmm

I'm going to move this to the tropical section as people with tropical experience may not look in the GF D&D section.  :D

You might look up feeding epsom salt for treating internal hexamita inflection.  One source said to make a 3% solution in water and then saturate the food with this solution.

This treatment should be harmless, so it's worth a try.