Sign in to follow this  
LittleShadow

Filters Galore!

Hey guys! Sorry I haven't been on in So long! I've been working a lot of overtime since the only other person on day shift quit, leaving me as the only person on days for that position. So I have a question for you all, in regards to moving up to a 55 gal, what kind of filters do you recommend? I'm planning on moving both of mine from the 32 gal over to it - a Marineland canister filter (On the side it says C-160, but , but I don't have the box anymore due to the move), and an Aquaclear (I think a 50, but can't remember which). Would these two be enough for a 55 on their own, or would I need to get another filter?

Also wondering if I should switch my canister out for a HOB, due to the risk of leaking. I saw a review on Amazon where it said the model I have will leak in 2 years. It came with another gasket though (which I'm sure we can find, somewhere), but with us living in an apartment that will only allow GF as pets, I don't know if I want to take that risk of waiting to see if it even happens :blink:

So, what do you guys suggest? Are there any canister filters that you've had for 3+ years that haven't leaked? What type are they?

Should I go back to HOB for a 55 gal with potentially 3 GF (I don't want to get any more than that)? If so, what? (Although I'm Never doing another Penguin Biowheel - Way too noisy!)

Here's what I've looked at so far and read reviews about, and what I've kind of garnered from them:

Fluval Canister: Very Pricey and sometimes rattly, otherwise very good quality (other than impeller issues)

SunSun Canister: Reasonably priced, but same issues as Fluval

RenaFilstar Canister: Cheap. Older versions that were made in Europe were better than the ones presently being sold bc manufactured in China :(

AquaClear: Have one, no complaints. I feel like they're more expensive in Amazon than in an actual store though! Would I need 2 or 3 for a 55? Would they work well enough to get debris off the bottom?

Eheim Canister: Good Quality, with a good price tag. Some people have had issues being sent defective products, or products that had parts crack. Not good for such an expensive filter...

Aqueon Quiet Flow: More bad reviews than good - many complain of intake tube falling off, but to me that's an easier fix than finding an impeller (I watched IT to many times as a kid, I can't stand dark wet places, they give me the heebie jeebies XD)

Whisper Filter: Had one on my 10 gal as a kid in the 90's, and even then it was easy to use! Is the 60 actually good for up to 60 gallons though, or since I'm keeping goldfish, should I go with the largest possible model? Also reasonably priced!

I feel like, after reading through a lot of the reviews the problem in product quality is due to outsourcing by the manufacturer...

Any other suggestions? Yes or No's to any of the ones listed?? I promise I will listen!! ​

I have 4 aqueons and have never had a tube come off. Have used a tetra whisper 60 and it was loud. I have 2 fluval 405s and love them. Not sure that helps ya

Edited by DieselPlower

Also the Fluval is completely quiet. If it rattles, you didn't fill it properly.

I think most of the problems with Filters now is they are being so mass produced the quality of them are going down hill... Years ago I had a FLuval... did like it cause of the Vacuum like hoses it uses... The Eheim I had running for atleast 5 years before the main seal broke on me. Personally I like the Eheims, and they where great back in the day...

I just bought a  HOB and it made horrible noises from the start, another filter I got you can see the heat seem on the intake, so its a gamble these days :(

Or you can make your own :)

I like using 2 filters on a tank because if one quits on you, you still have a back up. I have 2 aquaclears on my 55 right now

I plan on keeping multiple filters on my tank as well; I'm going to eventually move the two from my current tank onto the 55 to help keep it from cycling, and add another, because I don't think they're enough for a huge 55 gal.  Then I'd eventually remove my old canister and let the larger new filter take its place, but keep my little aquaclear as help and backup.  I was watching these:

and thinking of maybe making my own canister with an inline heater, it sounds like fun! 

And Koko (it kept freezing up when I tried to post in quotes, idk what's up with my internet!) that's what I'm afraid of happening with one of these high dollar deals - those penguin biowheels, from what I understood, were supposed to be the cat's meow, but every one I had rattled Loudly in a matter of months, no matter what we tried sometimes.  It's bad enough with a HOB model, I can only imagine it if it were a canister filter, and to have to undo everything, but maybe I'm just overreacting >.<

I can say Canisters dont normally make those noises unless some has broke in them... I personally think Canisters work better quality wise than HOB :)

Yeah the quote button can be picky :)

I recently tried SunSun Canister Filter and I was pleasantly surprised. I used to have 2 Penguin HOBs and while I can't complain about anything, the SunSun Canister filter delivered beyond expectation. I have the 500+ gph version and not only did it make my water crystal clear, the filter is also very quiet. So impressed that I got another one for my other tank. For the value (I got the 500+ gph filter with UV and included starter media for $70+ @ Amazon), the price can't be beat. Highly recommended. 

Thanks for all of the responses guys!  And I was tempted with that SunSun canister I saw on Amazon since it had the UV sterilizer!  Lol.  I was also looking into fluidized sand bed filters as well - but I'm not sure exactly how to clean them if they were to need cleaning.  Do they work better as an inline setup with another filter, such as a canister, or on their own but with multiple filters running the tank?  (I know they're not supposed to be used by themselves).  If it is running inline with a canister filter, how on earth do you clean your canister without getting water everywhere with it?  Hopefully the FSB filter comes with some type of block valves.  Our canister didn't (I tried talking my fiance into getting some ball valves for it, but it didn't come with info on the diameter of the tubing or something so he didn't want to risk getting the wrong size), so it's always...interesting...when we take apart our canister 0.0 I can only imagine adding another filter to the same thing lol.

I have the Marineland 350, and I've have it for 4 years, and it was used when I got it. It's never leaked, and I've never had issues with it.