Big Anubias with LOTS of roots!

Jeana727

I have 2 BIG Anubias plants that are very healthy & doing great. They each have ALOT of roots coming out of the main stem.  I am wondering if it is ok to clip off a good bit of these roots? My thought is can I trim the roots back to being mainly at the bottom portion of the plant rather than sprouting out from everywhere? What do ya'll think?

I couldn't wait!!!!!!  I took out, 1st, the biggest one & clipped away most of the roots from the main stem of the plant. I left the root system alone that is attached to the driftwood.  (LOL!) The main stem is quite thick & the little pieces of the trimmed roots makes it look like a catapillar!!!

Then I did the same to the other Anubias!

These plants came from ONE small plant I got YEARS ago.  I cut it into 2 pieces quite awhile back & (obviously) it did really well. I doubt this trimming session will hurt it! (Fingers Crossed)

While I was up to my armpits is the tank I also took the small Dragon bubbler out & gave him a good scrubbing. He was REALLY getting covered & looked mostly black.  I like to see the details (like the scales & EYES). He looks much better.

Edited by Jeana727

I trim the roots to my anubias every two months or so, sometimes sooner depending on how unwieldy they get. When I do trim the roots, I do take off quite a bit...pretty much so that they are close cropped to whatever they are on (either rock or driftwood).

I love anubias--they are such resilient plants!

The "Root Clipping" went fine....both of the anubias are looking good!!! ("They" started out as one & awhile back it had gotten huge so I cut it into two plants....It survived THAT "surgery" so I had high hopes it would do well!!!)

At this point the flowers are still mostly green, I will post pics as soon as they finish changing color!

Edited by Jeana727