Sign in to follow this  
Ajnk17

Bump on side with white thing protruding.

• * Ammonia Level(Tank) 0
  • * Nitrite Level(Tank) 0
  • * Nitrate level(Tank) 20
  • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.4
  • Other Required Info:
    • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API master test kit. Drops
    • * Water temperature? 74.6
    • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 75g 6 or 7 months
    • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? 2 aqueon quiet flow 55/75
    • * How often do you change the water and how much? once a week about 80%-90%
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? One week, planning on switching over to the 120g I bought.
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? 3
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? API stress coat
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? Hikari and omega one sinking pellet, Blood worms, daphnia, Veggies.
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? Not yet
  • * Any medications added to the tank? Prazi, Last Sunday
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. Only the prazi
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? I just noticed this raised bump on his side and at the end of the bump there is this white thing protruding
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? Normal behavior.

I just noticed this thing coming from his side last night before I went to work. I didn't get home until almost 3AM so I wasn't able to move him around. Also, both of my QT's are in use. I was planning on moving Secret into my main tank today so I would have an open QT, but I don't want to move him in there if there is anything in the tank that could hurt him. Also today I was planning on setting up my 120 today and moving everyone over.  (using my current filter media)

Here is a video of him with the thing on his side.

Now that I've uploaded the video I realize it's not the best quality. It looked good on my phone. I can take more pictures or another video if needed.

DSC00142_zps376huby0.jpg

DSC00143_zpse8rloaxs.jpg

Now that I picked him up and took the picture the white part disappeared and now its all red, like it popped or is bleeding.  :doh11: I'm rushing to get the 120g set up so I can switch everyone over and get him set up on his own in fresh water. Should I add salt? I will try and get more pictures now that it is red. He still is acting normal. I'm so nervous. :(

Thanks Dawn.

Looks like a bacterial cyst.  I would do a large WC on the tank he was in when it popped.  Typically this will heal on its own.  If you get him set up in his own tank, I'd salt to 0.1%.  :D  He should be just fine . . .

Oh my gosh. Yay! I'm glad it's nothing to serious. Thanks Lisa! Do you know what can cause these?

So now he has another one on his other side... Not as big of a bump, but he has the white thing sticking out of his side again.. Should I do anything for him or move him to QT now that he has another one?

They often get more than one at a time.  I would move him to QT if he was mine . .. .  :D How does the other side look?  Has it healed up?

Okay sounds good. I will do the when I get home. I'll add the salt then as well. The other side still has a small bump, but it's almost gone.

Think of them as fish zits ;). Good tank hygiene and low stress, healing promoting environments are often all that is needed :)

Oh great. He's going through fish puberty. :lol3 How long should I keep him in QT? Just until he heals?

Alright, so I'm bringing this one up again, because it looks similar, but there is no white part to the end of it. Just a large protruding bump. When I moved him over to QT the last time I only had him in there for a week and a half. He did get a couple more, but they cleared up really well and fast. So now he is back into QT and I am adding salt to .1%

Apparently my fish stresses weren't over.

Don't mind my kitty meowing. She's the only one excited to have another fish in QT. The bump is on the right side.

I can also post more pictures/videos if needed.

This one might be better..

Not sure if I should just make a new thread... But I'm still dealing with this. The very large bump did eventually get a white head on it and I noticed it was slowly popping/draining yesterday. So today I was planning on doing a WC. When I went to feed him this morning he didn't eat any food. He's been bottom sitting and looks like he has a slight curve to his spine. I just did a 90% water change. I feel like at this time I should add medication, but am unsure what would be best. This is the worst he has been.

When looking at the videos, I thought the fish didn't swim right.  He seems to struggle.  How many rounds of prazi did you do?  The "zits" often occur at a site where flukes attached.  I wonder if he still has flukes.

You should swab any open lesions with iodine.  I think antibiotic treatment might be in order, but I don't know what antibiotics would work best with this problem.  What medications do you have?

If you don't have a tank for quarantining him, get a tote for him.  I like the shallow ones, like this.

Edited by shakaho

I did 4 or 5 rounds of prazi. Unfortunately when I was treating them, I lost my planner that had the days written down to keep track. so I think I may have messed up the last two rounds. It looks like he is struggling to swim. He doesn't have a very good "flow". Almost like he only want to use one fin at a time. I took more picture which I will post shortly.

I don't think I have any iodine currently, but I can get some. The wound itself is bigger then previous ones.

I did move him over to a QT when I posted the video and have had him at .1% salt since. So two weeks now and this is the first time he won't eat and is bottom sitting.

image_zpssed45adi.jpeg

This one you can see how he is kind of "curved"

image_zpsxsw9wb36.jpeg

Also I should add, his poop is now white/clear which it has not been until today as well.

Edited by Ajnk17

I forgot to add what medications I have. I was just coming to say that I did add Kana because his scales are raised and his stomach area is swollen and almost turning a transparent color. I have kana, metro, and Paragaurd.

I was going to wait to get advice before adding anything, but as I came to lay down and go to bed I noticed this and my husband convinced me to add it. (Pretty sure he just doesn't want to see me loose another fish)

I will be going to the store tomorrow to get iodine and Epsom salt just in case. Please let me know if I should get any other things.

I'm going to feel terrible if I made the wrong choice, but he really is looking bad and am nervous about waking up to another passed fish.

how are we today

Metro plus triple sulfa is gentler than metro plus kana, so we usually recommend that.  You can get triple sulfa in local stores.

He was a little better. He was at the top still really lethargic. I was a little late for work today so I didn't have much time to check.

I will pick up some triple sulfa when I go to the store. Do I still add salt with these medications? Or should I switch to Epsom or none at all?

I would just use the antibiotics for now.

I just got home from work and the store. I picked up some triple sulfa. I went and checked on him and his side is pretty bad. It looks even more enlarged and also fuzzy. Here is a video. He only started swimming because I walked up to the tank. Otherwise he is just sitting at the top tilted. Should I continue to do a WC to get the kana out and then add metro and the triple sulfa? Thank you for your help.

You have iodine, right?  Get some denture powder to use a technique often used by koi people.  Take the fish out of the water, lay it on a wet towel, and cover the head with a damp cloth.  Most fish will lie still under these conditions.  Swab the ulcer as clean as you can with iodine on cotton, then put a few drops of iodine in the ulcer and sprinkle on some denture powder.  Gently pat it into the wound, sprinkling more powder on and patting it into place until it doesn't stick anymore.  Then put the fish back in the water. 

A more elaborate version of this procedure is shown here

I did get the iodine. I changed the water last night and then added the medication, but within 3 hours after he was gone. :(