Sign in to follow this  
Fish_Fanatic

Breeding behaviour in late fall?

Hey folks!

So I can't say I know all that much about goldfish breeding, but doesn't that tend to happen in the spring? Its late fall, snow on the ground here, and my fantail Fishfishfish (my girlfriend named him lol) has been very aggressive towards my large ryukin Gill. I put in my tank divider the other day because poor Gill was looking very stressed. Now today, I see breeding stars on Fishfishfish. That explains his aggressive behaviour, I suppose. But is it normal for that to occur at this time of year?

Also, not sure of Gill's sex. Always just assumed Gill was male, but since he's not displaying aggressive behaviour or breeding stars or anything, could I assume Gill is actually female? Or is that not an assumption I can make? Just want to clear this all up so I know what's going on!

Finally, how long does this kind of behaviour usually last? I don't like having the divider in the tank, but I don't want to stress Gill anymore than he already is! Thanks guys!

Fish indoors don't know the season.

That makes sense. So breeding could occur at any time of the year then, is what you're saying?

Is there anything that would trigger this mating behaviour in one fish, but not in the other? 

Thank you!

Yep, they can breed year 'round.

As far as sexing your fish, you can't always be sure. But if Gill is being chased, there is a higher chance that it's female.

An eggy female secretes pheromones that spur the males to chase.  The females play hard to get until they release the eggs.  Then they just play "hungry."

Good to know! Thanks everyone :)

Is it a good idea then to just keep the two separated until this behaviour has passed? It'd be so cool to breed these guys, but I'm in no position to care for and rehome a whole bunch of adorable fry!

It would be much better for them if you just let them breed and then let them clean up the eggs themselves. Letting them breed reduces chances of egg impaction in the female. Goldfish have to be one of the world's worst parents... they eat their eggs and young fry and will not raise them.

Actually they are great parents if the kids go into foster care for three months or so until they stop looking like food. 

Actually they are great parents if the kids go into foster care for three months or so until they stop looking like food.

Haha sure! They let us raise them and we give them back when they are less needy.