2 guppies dead in one night! What happened?

Hi,

just got home from my grandma's house and two of my guppies are dead :( One was the first one and the one was the most recent. Neither were ill, just found them both dead. First I thought my cycle might have went funky from the added fish, but nope, it didn't. 

pH: 7.6-7.8

ammonia: 0 ppm

nitrite: 0 ppm

Nitrate: <10 ppm

Temp: 78.4

I now have in my ten gallon a betta siamese algae eater, 2 adult guppies, 3 baby guppies, 3 snails. It is pretty heavily planted.

I don't understand what happened. :idont 

• Admin

I dont see anything that would make them die hun....

I do have one suggest for you if you want the fry to live longer? Place a Whisteria or Water Sprite plant in there.. I let one float and have several in the tank for Fry cover.

The only thing I wondered about was that plant in the right hand side looks like a big root but might have signs of rot cant really tell, but thats about all I can think of hun :)

I dont see anything that would make them die hun....

I do have one suggest for you if you want the fry to live longer? Place a Whisteria or Water Sprite plant in there.. I let one float and have several in the tank for Fry cover.

The only thing I wondered about was that plant in the right hand side looks like a big root but might have signs of rot cant really tell, but thats about all I can think of hun :)

yeah I didn't get what happened :( 

I'll get that :) I've had these three fry for 2 or so weeks now :) they are growing so fast! :o

good eye! It did have rot and I broke it off so only healthy parts of it are in the water now. It's a sandy plant (white ribbon?) I don't understand what happened. They were doing so well.

Well, 2 bottom sitting last night, added prime, and only one bottom sitting still but it was doing the flips :(. I brought it back to Petsmart. I'm doing a 90% water change and hoping for the best. The guy was like no more than a 20% I said oh I'm doing a 90% Bes like well you're taking out the biological I said no it's all in the filter it's fine if I match the pH and temperature. He's like well okay probably annoyed with my answer not expecting me to come back like that :rofl he's like we can test your water is Sid no thank you I have a test kit at home. And I showed them the tank. They didn't see anything that would cause a death as well which I didn't expect them to see anything.

• Admin

Well, 2 bottom sitting last night, added prime, and only one bottom sitting still but it was doing the flips :(. I brought it back to Petsmart. I'm doing a 90% water change and hoping for the best. The guy was like no more than a 20% I said oh I'm doing a 90% Bes like well you're taking out the biological I said no it's all in the filter it's fine if I match the pH and temperature. He's like well okay probably annoyed with my answer not expecting me to come back like that :rofl he's like we can test your water is Sid no thank you I have a test kit at home. And I showed them the tank. They didn't see anything that would cause a death as well which I didn't expect them to see anything.

My I suggest placing .1% salt in the tank hun :)

Having guppies with a betta is not a gd idea u wud b best rehoming either the guppies or the betta

its working out fine. Koko also has a betta in with her guppy I think. I could have swore I saw one on the YouTube video she posted not long ago. My betta isn't that mean at all.

• Admin

I got one in my tank, its a 36 gallon tank with alot of plants in there and two filters running it.... The betta I have seen going for my fry in the tank, but I dont mind as it keeps the population down... :)

Mikey I have salted my tank up to .1% with the betta in it and no ill effects :)

I'll do that tomorrow after a 90% water change :) 

I have 2 or 3 baby baby fry no one has eaten :o And then I have 3 bigger fry that I think will be making it to adulthood :D

I snuck in the water change :P I added only .05% salt because I won't be able to do a water change until 2 tomorrow if something bad were to have happened, so in adding the rest tomorrow when j get home from school.

• Admin

I snuck in the water change :P I added only .05% salt because I won't be able to do a water change until 2 tomorrow if something bad were to have happened, so in adding the rest tomorrow when j get home from school.

:thumbup2:

Thats great I was going to say if you can add it in slowly the better off you are... :) Good Job hun :)

Thanks Koko!! :)

Everyone looks okay with the .05% salt. I'll be adding the rest in tonight :). I'm at my grandmas because it's my grandpa's birthday :teehee