Sign in to follow this  
hanwinting

Raised scale on black ranchu please help

my black ranchu has a slight raised scale. i will post some pictures later. i am gonna put it in qt with 1% salt. tje fish is very active and eating.

i don't have any antibiotics on hand. please let me know what i need to order.

* Test Results for the Following:

* * Ammonia Level(Tank) 0

* * Nitrite Level(Tank) 0

* * Nitrate level(Tank) 10

* * Ammonia Level(Tap) 0

* * Nitrite Level(Tap) 0

* * Nitrate level(Tap)0

* * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)7.6

* * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)7.6

* Other Required Info:

* * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API drop

* * Water temperature? 70 F

* * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 120 gallons. i resealed the tank 2 weeks ago but i kept all bacteria alive in different tank

* * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? Fluval fx6 and fluval 306

* * How often do you change the water and how much? weekly 80%

* * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? Wednesday

* * How many fish in the tank and their size? 5 fish. 20g, 60g, 70g, 90 g, and 220 g

* * What kind of water additives or conditioners?prime

* * What do you feed your fish and how often? twice a day. repashy

* * Any new fish added to the tank? no

* * Any medications added to the tank?

no

* * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. did not treat prazi. just qt and observation

* * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? nothing wrong with any other fish

* * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? all active and eating like pigs

ty everyone

Pictures will help the mods to advise you. In the meantime, you meant 0.1% salt, correct? 1% in qt would be toooo much.

For dropsy we generally use Epsom salt to reduce swelling and metronidazole as a first line antibiotic treatment. Are you able to get either of these easily? Epsom with no fragrance or additives is usually available at any drug store or pharmacy.

Edited by Arctic Mama

I have Epsom salt from walgreen already. Actually i have Metro Med i bought  a year ago from goldfishconnection. will that work?

For dropsy we generally use Epsom salt to reduce swelling and metronidazole as a first line antibiotic treatment. Are you able to get either of these easily? Epsom with no fragrance or additives is usually available at any drug store or pharmacy.

Edited by hanwinting

how much epsom salt should i be adding in 15 gallons QT tanks and how much Metro med should i be feeding each day and for how long?

thanks!

Can you give us the weight in grams of the fish? That will help us calculate the metromeds dose.

The Epsom is 1 teaspoon per ten gallons of water, so you would use 1.5 teaspoons.

Could you please check the expiration date on the MetroMeds? If I remember right, it should be somewhere on the bag.

Could you please check the expiration date on the MetroMeds? If I remember right, it should be somewhere on the bag.

i will check when i get home. will human metronidazole work on fish?

If they are expired, then Seachem Metroplex (metronidazole) is readily available in most mom-and-pop fish stores. It isn't available in chain stores. :)

Just my opinion, but if I had a pineconing fish and some metro-meds, I would feed the fish metromeds unless the food smelled rancid.  Expiration dates may not mean much.  Metromeds contain more than just metronidazole, and work much better.

If they are expired, then Seachem Metroplex (metronidazole) is readily available in most mom-and-pop fish stores. It isn't available in chain stores. :)

I don't see any Expiration date on Metro Meds. I bought it on sept 2014. I just bought Seachem Metroplex also. Pls let me know how i should be treating it. Thanks 

Just my opinion, but if I had a pineconing fish and some metro-meds, I would feed the fish metromeds unless the food smelled rancid.  Expiration dates may not mean much.  Metromeds contain more than just metronidazole, and work much better.

With medicated fish foods like metromeds, the medicine may become inactive after too long. Rick himself said not to use the food after 8 months if unopened and stored in a cool dry place, and 3 months if opened but resealed in a cool dry place.

I could see not worrying about expiration dates with plain foods, but foods with meds aren't really in the same category in my opinion. 

I don't see any Expiration date on Metro Meds. I bought it on sept 2014. I just bought Seachem Metroplex also. Pls let me know how i should be treating it. Thanks 

Go ahead and wait for the moderating team to advise on treatment, okay?

Edited by ChelseaM

With the age of those pellets I'm not concerned. Please feed 30 pellets each day for 14 days along with the Epsom, and keep the water quality impeccable. If that hasn't gotten on top of the dropsy we will move to other treatments :)

Chelsea, whether food or medicine, expiration dates are about protecting the seller's butt so they are very conservative.  Here's an article on drug expiration.  We haven't come up with a mixture of of antibiotics that treat dropsy as well as Metromeds.   This abstract suggests dry metronidazole lasts a lot longer than the expiration date suggests.  I don't know about the other ingredients.

Edited by shakaho

raised scale seems to be going down slowly! her abdomen seems less swollen woot

Glad she is doing better.

tyvm for everyone help. my ranchu looks much better and swimming and eating like a piggy now. going back to main tank e22adafd6ee4d484abc4915128d0eecc.jpg

c8c631b8ba986c1f5c91f6ed617b716e.jpg

9b805ac62b2c57038b054d3eb5132ca9.jpg

e47209d623ef287ca9619e3565c1b4c0.jpg