More snail woes

QandD

So after my other snails died, I went to an LFS and got 4 very small horned nerites. I was sure to select active ones with trapdoor movement, etc, and they crawled around the bucket I had them in for a couple of days after acclimating them. Now they have become immobile and won't eat. I have a nano heater and have gH booster for calcium and some baking soda in the water (77 F). I've tried algae wafers, repashy power green, and a sword leaf with diatoms on it. One snail was smelling odd today so I think it died--I threw it away at least :(

Suggestions? I must be doing something wrong here. I've had them for a week. Do they just need to be in the tank to eat hardscape algae? I feel so bad for them. 

Whats in your tank again hun.. Like filter, rock ornaments and such

Hi Koko! They're currently in 3-4 gallons of water in a QT bucket, but my tank is 29 gallons, sand substrate, plants, a few river rocks, and an air wand pinned to the back wall. I have two AC 70s and algae on my side and back walls for eating. I'm worried, though, about what to do with them if they won't eat. The temperature of the tank is around 73. They've been in QT for a week now. 

I have not had luck with those lil horned nerites.  :idont

I just got 4 nerites, hoping at least 2 would survive.  One died, the other 3 are doing well.  The one that died was the smallest one.  The others I've had that died in QT have been smaller.  I guess I just need to stick with the bigger ones.

You're not the only one with snail woes . .  .

I have not had luck with those lil horned nerites.   :idont

I just got 4 nerites, hoping at least 2 would survive.  One died, the other 3 are doing well.  The one that died was the smallest one.  The others I've had that died in QT have been smaller.  I guess I just need to stick with the bigger ones.

You're not the only one with snail woes . .  .

This is good to know! Sorry you lost one. 

• Admin

Oh and another one is dead as of this morning. I am considering just putting them in the main tank.

How long have they been in QT hun?

1 week

Well its going to be a 50 50 thing... Snails are so touchy :)

If it makes you feel any feel better, I've never been able to keep snails alive beyond the common pest snail. I've often wondered if there's something in our water other species don't like because they always start off healthy and then rapidly deteriorate. What, however, that thing is alludes me. The same can be said for shrimp. Whilst they do okay on my tap water, the non-native varieties have really thrived when kept in non-tap water.

If it makes you feel any feel better, I've never been able to keep snails alive beyond the common pest snail. I've often wondered if there's something in our water other species don't like because they always start off healthy and then rapidly deteriorate. What, however, that thing is alludes me. The same can be said for shrimp. Whilst they do okay on my tap water, the non-native varieties have really thrived when kept in non-tap water.

Yeah, this is my primary guilt issue: I'm not sure what it is that makes my snails decline so quickly. I guess I'll just keep hoping that the other two make it, but it seems improbable at this point.