Sign in to follow this  
flyingbrunswick

Large moor with bleeding eye - please help!

Hello, my large black moor has developed something awful with one eye. It began Sunday with what looked like a scrape/burn (though he lives in a tank with no decor or heater, just the filter intakes), no redness just missing skin/scale. Changed 90% water and treated the tank with .15% salt. Not much change over the days, no worse or better.  This morning it was terrible and bleeding quite a bit. The areas are not deep or lacerations, the missing “skin” leaves a white semi smooth patch below, not raised and one side of the scrape is red and bleeding.  

I’ve moved him to my hospital tank with .15% salt and swabbed with peroxide - After 2 hours in the hospital tank it has stopped bleeding.  Images 1 and 2 are just after peroxide swabs, images 3, 4, and 5 are a few hours later.  Advice, identification, and treatment options?

I have, on hand - hydrogen peroxide, aquarium salt, epsom salt, Melafix, Pimafix, Cyropro, Prazipro, Blue Ridge Medicated food

1.jpg  2.jpg  

3.jpg  4.jpg  5.jpg

• Test Results for the Following:
    • * Ammonia Level(Tank) Main tank 0    Hospital tank 0
    • * Nitrite Level(Tank)  Main tank 0     Hospital tank 0
    • * Nitrate level(Tank)  Main tank 5~10     Hospital tank 5
    • * Ammonia Level(Tap)  0
    • * Nitrite Level(Tap)   0
    • * Nitrate level(Tap)    0
    • * Ph Level, Tank    7.1
    • * Ph Level, Tap   Didn’t test
    • Other Required Info:
      • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?  API Master Test Kit
      • * Water temperature?  68F
      • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?  Main Tank 75  Hospital Tank 30, both running 2+ years
      • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)?   Main tank: SunSun 304b + 2 Whisper EX70 filters;  Hospital tank: Aquaclear 110
      • * How often do you change the water and how much?  90% 1-2x per week on each
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?  Main tank: 4 days/90%, Hospital tank: today 90%
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? Main: 4 - 1   8” moor, 3   1.5” butterflies, Hospital 1   8” Moor
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners?  Prime
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often?  Repashy Soilent green 2x per day
  • * Any new fish added to the tank?  No
  • * Any medications added to the tank?  .15% Salt on Sunday
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.    .15% salt on Sunday, prazi and crypto treatment course (seperately) over a year ago
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?  None
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?   Laying/sulking on bottom every now and then once moved to hospital tank, prior to that nothing

Your treatment so far looks good to me.  The wounds look like they will heal.

Please test your tap pH.  With a lowish pH in your tank,  we want to see the tap pH.

Would you show a picture of your whole tank please?  Do you have substrate? Do you have any animals other than goldfish in the tank?

Thanks for the response.  I tested the tap water and it is at 6.9.  I have baggies of crushed coral in all of my filters to help with the lower PH level.

The hospital tank is bare bottom and the main tank is black sand.  There are 2 mystery snails in the tank - I can take a photo tomorrow as it's located in my studio which I am no longer at. 

Should I up the salt % or keep it steady where it is?  He's still happily eating but that eye looks scary!

Welcome to Kokos and hope he feels better soon.

You can raise salt to 0.3 %.  Don't do any additional treatment without checking with us.

How big are your snails?  Snails eat dead fish, and when they do, they rasp away, producing abrasions much like what your fish has.  A snail doesn't have much chance of getting on a live fish, but if it succeeded in getting on a sleeping fish, it could  produce injuries like what you see.

Thanks for the welcome!!

I will up the salt in the morning!

The snails are very small...  babies about 1/2" at most.  I highly doubt they did this.  My guess at the moment it that he maybe tried getting behind one of the intakes and scraped himself up.  Very much confused as to what's happened.  Some others have suggested aeromonas but from my understanding it would appear more ulcer-like and less like a scrape.  

Last I looked they were not red anymore and just white where the skin is gone.  *Fingers crossed* that that is a good thing.

Edited by flyingbrunswick

Welcome to Kokos! I hope your guy is better soon!

Update!  

After 2 days in the .3% salt solution, daily swab and 100% daily wc he looks much improved.  Perhaps I'm a little optimistic but it does seems smaller and better (or am I crazy?).  No more redness or bleeding and he's still my happy Murdoc!  My plan is to continue with the salt solution and hospital tank until he regrows the area.

Please forgive the dirty bottom and glass!  I took these shots before water change and cleaning.   :P

6.jpg

7.jpg

Would you please change the swabbing from hydrogen peroxide to betadine?  Peroxide is perfect for a first cleaning, but continued use irritates and slows healing.  Here's a trick for "bandaging" the wound.  Get some denture powder.  Put the iodine on the wounds and then dust them with denture powder.  Let it set a bit and return the fish to the tank.