Sign in to follow this  
orangeboar

Siphoned all the water out of tank and forgot my fish were there!

Ok WOW. This is the FIRST time I have EVER done this in my 3 years or so... I feel SO bad. I was draining water for a water change on my 55 gallon and left it running while I went to do other things and completely forgot about the tank until 45 minutes later when I suddenly remembered, OH MY CRAP THE GOLDIES!!! I run to the tank and all the waters been siphoned out and the fish were all laying on the gravel....

I am filling the water back up now, but 2 of my goldies are upside down even with the water level up. Is there anything I should do? They range from small to big goldies, the largest being a 7+ inch common goldfish. Maybe aerate the water?... Would they suffer any brain damage or gill damage or something like that?

And what about skin damage from abrasion from flopping on the gravel and stuff...?

Plus I have a ping pong pearlscale and a bubble-eye... Would there be any swimbladder/buoyancy problems I should look out for?

I am tearing up now. These are some fish I had for years too... Since the start. ugh I feel so bad.

If this is in the wrong place, please move it. I am just shaking right now. :(

Edited by Gloyd

It happens. Don't beat yourself up. Refill and condition the water, keep the lights off, check in the morning. If one has passed there is nothing that could b done but keeping the environmental stress low will help the recover of the ones who can be saved. For now, no salt. If there is a physical injury that doesn't look improved on Friday we can add some then.

Oh no! I'm so sorry this happened. I hope everyone recovers!  :bighug

Goldfish survive jumping out of the tank and staying on the dry floor for hours before they are found.  Yes aerate the water.  The fish should be fine.  

As an aside, I suspect you have way too many fish in that tank.  Read our guidelines for healthy goldfish.  While your fish have done very well so far, they have grown a lot and big fish need more water.

Oh, I'm so sorry about your fish. I too have done crazy things during water changes.

Thanks for the well wishes everyone! Right now, they are swimming up to me when they see me begging for food... So I hope everything is all right. Everyone made it through. Now I am just wondering if there are any long term complications of this. :(

And thanks for the info shakaho! That's why I haven't gone to the aquarium in a while. And it's a good thing they don't get that much "fancy" goldfish in the first place. But in the 55, there are currently 5 goldfish. One common goldfish, 2 ping pong pearlscales, 1 celestial eye, and 1 bubble eye. Besides the common who is around 6-7 inches now that I look at him, the rest are all about 1.25 inches long. So they are tiny little things. I read the guide and it said around 20 gallons per goldfish? I do not have any spare money now, but I am wanting to put some change aside every month to save up for a bigger tank. I do not want to rehome the common, so with adult sizing in mind, what would be a good size tank for me to get for the 5? I do not plan on adding anymore fish, of course. Thanks!

Gloyd, you would need 100 US gallons for 5 goldfish at 20 gallons per fish. This can be accomplished either with one large tank or with many smaller ones. I would not keep more than 3 fish in the 55 gallon. You could get a 40B for the remaining two, or you could look for a 100 gallon tank somewhere. I agree, 5 in a 55 is way too many, even if they are small.  Because they do the most of their growing in the first year, they should have adequate space to do it without worrying about water quality problems. 

Currently, if you can do large (90%) water changes like that, I would be doing those twice a week until you can get another setup for the overstocking.

Thanks. When you put it like that, it seems more manageable. I can add an extra 40B then. Hrm. So if I move the ping pong and the bubble-eye to the 40G breeder, that can be their forever tank, right? Of course bigger is better, but they won't have much problems by themselves in the 40 breeder?

40G would be a good forever tank for the two!

Sorry this happened! I've done it with QTs before, is easy to get distracted. I use A pump to drain now and set it at the level I want the water to go to so it wont drop further than that even if I did get distracted!

I suggest you wait until the next Petco $1 per gallon sale and get a 40B (40 gallon breeder).  Then you could put three of the fancies in one tank and the common and the other fancy in the other tank.  How old is your common?

Where is Elk Grove?  In a warm climate, the healthiest (and cheapest) way to house your fish is in a patio container pond.  

Right now, you have the equivalent of ~ 3 adult fish, so right now, if you meet our filtration and water change recommendations, you will have good water quality.  In a few months, those little guys will have doubled their size and will really need more water.

You can't predict how big your fish will grow.  I think bubble eyes and celestials grow a little smaller than average, but some people claim pearlscales grow larger than other breeds.  Many have softball-sized pearlies in their ponds.  If your fish outgrow their tanks, you will know.

Sorry that happened to you. Fish are surprisingly more resilient than one would think. Once when I worked at a pet store, I came in to find an eel had gotten out of his tank during the night and was on the floor. He'd been there for long enough that he was no longer wet. But, when I put him back in the tank, he recovered fully within a few hours. 

Hoping all goes well for your goldies!!!!

I have slipped up & siphoned ALMOST all the water a time (or two).  And even once OVERFLOWED the tank!! :yikes
 I try to be vigilant but I am VERY EASILY DISTRACTED!!!

Edited by Jeana727

If it makes you feel better, I accidentally poured my betta (which I had for 3 years) down the drain late one night when I was cleaning his 2.5 gallon tank. Needless to say, I use siphons now :\ A buddy of mine actually had his 10" goldfish "hop" out of his pond. God knows how long it has been out of water, but it was at least 10 minutes or longer before he came home and saw his fish flopping around in garden gravel,. Needless to say, he darted towards his pond and threw the fish back in. It's been almost a year now and the fish is doing great. Fish are a lot tougher than we give them credit for.

I suggest you wait until the next Petco $1 per gallon sale and get a 40B (40 gallon breeder).  Then you could put three of the fancies in one tank and the common and the other fancy in the other tank.  How old is your common?

Where is Elk Grove?  In a warm climate, the healthiest (and cheapest) way to house your fish is in a patio container pond.  

Right now, you have the equivalent of ~ 3 adult fish, so right now, if you meet our filtration and water change recommendations, you will have good water quality.  In a few months, those little guys will have doubled their size and will really need more water.

You can't predict how big your fish will grow.  I think bubble eyes and celestials grow a little smaller than average, but some people claim pearlscales grow larger than other breeds.  Many have softball-sized pearlies in their ponds.  If your fish outgrow their tanks, you will know.

The Elk Grove I know of is in the west suburbs of Chicago.

Yes, but there are others.  When you think about it, the name sounds odd.  Elk are not native to IL.