Sign in to follow this  
210 Oranda

I think my chu is dying.. Please help!

I have had this ranchu in QT for the last 7 weeks..

The first days he was super active, strong & even a little of a bully to the roommate, a smaller ranchu

At the second week of QT, he started to pinecone so I started treating as usual (metro, kana & epsom combo)

Pinecone went away but the ranchu wasn't interested in food.. not eating at all from Oct 10 to Oct 25

I tried syringe feed several times hoping something went in

He started to eat kinda normal on Nov 3 after starting a prazi powder round but stopped again on Nov 6

and he hasn't eat anything since then

The symptoms are: No eating, Swollen body, Heavy breathing, Extra slime

Here below is the treatment I followed since day one so you can see what have I done

Sep 24: Arrival

Sep 24-27: De-stress days (just WC & double prime)

Sep 28: 100%WC + 76g salt(morning) + 76g salt (evening)

Sep 29: 76g salt (to reach .3%)

Sep 30: 100WC + 228g salt + prazipro double dose (1st round)

Oct 2: 100WC + 228g salt + prazi redose (double)

Oct 4: 100WC (removing all prazi) + 228g salt

Oct 5: Starting to feed Metro flakes

Oct 6: 100WC + 228g salt + Metro flakes

Oct 8: 100WC + 228g salt + prazipro double dose (2nd round) + Metro Flakes

Oct 9: Here I saw the pincone in one of the chus & the other one laying sideways, plus spitting out the metro flakes

Oct 10: 100WC (remove all prazi) 1Tsp Epsom + Metro powder (1st) + Kana powder (1st)

Oct 12: 100WC + 2 Tsp Epsom + Metro powder (2nd) + Kana powder (2nd)

Oct 14: 100WC + 2 Tsp Epsom + Metro powder (3rd) + Kana powder (3rd)

Oct 16: 100WC + 2 Tsp Epsom + Metro powder (4th) + Kana powder (4th)

Oct 18: 100WC + Prazi single + Metro powder (5th) + Kana powder (5th)

Oct 20: 100WC + Prazi single re-dose + Metro powder (6th) + Kana powder (6th)

Oct 22: 100WC to get all meds out

Oct 24: 100WC

Oct 26: 100WC

Oct 28: 100WC

Oct 30: 100WC

Nov 2: 100WC + 76g salt + Aqua prazi (powder)

Nov 4: 100WC + 76g salt + Prazi powder (re-dose)

Nov 6: 100WC + 76g salt

Nov 8: 50WC

Nov 9: 100WC + 76g salt + Aqua prazi (powder)

Nov 11: 100WC + 76g salt + Aqua prazi (redose)

THIN BODY

20151014_131842_zpsk9p7linr.jpg

SWOLLEN BODY

20151112_103811%20-%20Copy_zpsnwmrnlee.j

HEAVY BREATHING

PLEASE HELP US!!!  :( :( :(

Here's the form so that you can provide some more information so that we have absolutely everything we need.

• Test Results for the Following:
    • * Ammonia Level(Tank)
    • * Nitrite Level(Tank)
    • * Nitrate level(Tank)
    • * Ammonia Level(Tap)
    • * Nitrite Level(Tap)
    • * Nitrate level(Tap)
    • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
    • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
    • Other Required Info:
      • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?
      • * Water temperature?
      • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?
      • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)?
      • * How often do you change the water and how much?
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size?
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners?
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often?
  • * Any new fish added to the tank?
  • * Any medications added to the tank?
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?

Here's the form so that you can provide some more information so that we have absolutely everything we need.

• Test Results for the Following:
    • * Ammonia Level(Tank)
    • * Nitrite Level(Tank)
    • * Nitrate level(Tank)
    • * Ammonia Level(Tap)
    • * Nitrite Level(Tap)
    • * Nitrate level(Tap)
    • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
    • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
    • Other Required Info:
      • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?
      • * Water temperature?
      • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?
      • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)?
      • * How often do you change the water and how much?
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size?
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners?
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often?
  • * Any new fish added to the tank?
  • * Any medications added to the tank?
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?

I think everything "that matters" is self explained on my first post.. however it is..

• * Ammonia Level(Tank) 0 - .25
  • * Nitrite Level(Tank) 0
  • * Nitrate level(Tank) 0
  • * Ammonia Level(Tap) 0
  • * Nitrite Level(Tap) 0
  • * Nitrate level(Tap) 5
  • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 8.4
  • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.4 - 7.7
  • Other Required Info:
    • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API drops
    • * Water temperature? 76
    • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 20G  - 7wks
    • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? sponge-QT
    • * How often do you change the water and how much? Every other day
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? yesterday, 100
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? 20G - 2 ranchu - 6inch
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? prime
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? repashy day & bloodworms night
  • * Any new fish added to the tank?  no
  • * Any medications added to the tank? see above
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. see above
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? extra slime coat
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? see above

Everything in the form matters as well when it comes to treatment. Water parameters can influence both water quality assessment and the types of medications that the mod team can advise you to use. Knowing how many fish you have can show how heavy the bioload is and whether you should treat a certain way or not, especially if the other fish can't be moved. Size of the tank determines how much medicine the mod team can calculate for you to use. Knowing what conditioner you're using can tell us if we need to be more careful with WCs or not, too. And of course knowing the test kit you're using can tell if the parameters are accurate.

:heart Thanks for filling out the form. I really hope a mod comes by soon to offer advice. I bet they're talking behind the scenes right now.

Edited by ChelseaM

I hope the mods will be able to help you figure it out and get him back to health. He's a very pretty fish!

Yes the mod team has discussed this.  We don't see anything wrong with the fish.  

Hope he feels better.

Yes the mod team has discussed this.  We don't see anything wrong with the fish.  

sorry for the late opinion... timezones work against me. i agree, i don't see anything wrong with the fish either.

I agree...I wasn't able to see any problems in the pics or video :idont

sorry for the late opinion... timezones work against me. i agree, i don't see anything wrong with the fish either.

I agree...I wasn't able to see any problems in the pics or video :idont

Surprising, but ok...

I didn't know that a fish that acts lethargic all day, doesn't eat, gets white stuff hanging from its wen & body and gets fatter overnight was a sign of a healthy fish.. 

I learned something new today..

I guess this guy goes to the main tank once the prazi round is over..

Thank you all..!!

I don't see anything white and hanging off.. I see white dots, but that's normal, it's wen growth. I don't see what you mean by fast breathing, it looks normal to me :idont

I don't think you're dosing prazi correctly. From what I am reading from what you posted if I'm reading it correctly you're only really doing 3-4 days rounds and only did about 2 of them. I'm wondering if the fish wasnt (isn't?) eating because the gills are still irritated from flukes perhaps.

I don't see anything white and hanging off.. I see white dots, but that's normal, it's wen growth. I don't see what you mean by fast breathing, it looks normal to me :idont

I don't think you're dosing prazi correctly. From what I am reading from what you posted if I'm reading it correctly you're only really doing 3-4 days rounds and only did about 2 of them. I'm wondering if the fish wasnt (isn't?) eating because the gills are still irritated from flukes perhaps.

I'm not trying to convince anyone of what I see.. I have had this fish for the last 50 days, see it every day and I know when it behaves differently

I am perhaps all wrong but the fish doesn't act neither it looks the same as when I got it

I tried several times to take pictures but the phone doesn't pick "that stuff" up.. And it is not there right now anyway

In regards the prazi.. you're right..

I have one full round on Sep 30 to Oct 7, then a couple of interrupted rounds (one because of dropsy and the other one I can't remember) but I continued them on Nov 2

as 7 day rounds (4 with prazi, 3 without)

Edited by 210 Oranda

Is there any salt in the water with the ranchu right now?

I just looked at your pH. That's quite a big swing in pH for doing a 100% water change. Are you letting the water sit out for 24 hours with an air stone to degas?

Edited by Mikey

To me I feel like I can see the swelling and very slight pineconing in the second pic, but he looks good in the video to me. I hop he is back to himself soon!

Edited by FishyMandy

Is there any salt in the water with the ranchu right now?

Yes sir.. it is in the 1st post

"Nov 11: 100WC + 76g salt + Aqua prazi (redose)"

0.1% in case you wonder

Edited by 210 Oranda

Here is the straight dope, as nicely as possible. With that treatment history there isn't much we could suggest that would help a problem that hadn't responded to that course of treatment already. You've either zapped the issue or its environmental and you are stuck with it until your fish dies or the problem resolves. I don't know what else to tell you. I see nothing, and I mean *nothing* in the video that is concerning.

My own extremely healthy 2 year old chu looks prickly on occasion - it's just the look of his scales, not dropsy.

His wen looks funky sometimes. Normal.

With treatments and sometimes seasonally he gets extra slimecoat. I see none in those vids and pictures but even if I did it's STILL fairly normal in the absense of other and more substantive symptoms, especially after so much treatment.

We have given our recommendations for water testing and much slower introduction of new fish. You have been advised by a variety of board members. WE ARE VOLUNTEERS. If this isn't satisfactory and things are still wonky then find a traveling or teleconferencing fish vet. Spend money on the treatment instead of fresh and extremely pricy stock. Leave the poor fish alone for a few weeks with water changes and a good diet and hope for the best. The fact that he is still here and robust means he is nice and healthy despite the lengthy treatments. That is a *good* sign.

Go with it. We see nothing. Not a single one of us.

If you are still concerned you may just be beyond what the limits of free internet help can provide. Good luck to you.

Nicely put Taryl :)

I'm still concerned with how you are changing the water with the pH differences. Would you be able to elaborate more on that please?