Sign in to follow this  
SarahLee7

Help! My goldfish is sick and I can't figure out what's wrong with her :/

• Test Results for the Following:
    • * Ammonia Level(Tank)- anywhere from 0 to .25, but I'm thinking it's closer to .25
    • * Nitrite Level(Tank)- 0
    • * Nitrate level(Tank)- anywhere from 40-80. With the color guide to check with my API Freshwater Master Test Kit, the 40 and 80 look almost identical in color
    • * Ammonia Level(Tap)- 0
    • * Nitrite Level(Tap)- 0
    • * Nitrate level(Tap)- 0
    • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)- 7.6
    • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)- 7.6
    • Other Required Info:
      • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API Freshwater Master Test Kit. Drops
      • * Water temperature? between 71 and 75. I think it's 71 though.
      • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? It's a 29/30 gallon, but I have about 25-27 gallons of water in it. It has been running since May 16th
      • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? Fluval AquaClear. Size 50 (20-50 gallons) 200 GPH
      • * How often do you change the water and how much? I change the water once every 2 weeks by vacuuming the gravel in a certain section (4 sections in tank). Vacuum out about 10% of tank water.
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? Last water change was November 5th and I changed 10% of the water
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? There are two goldfish in the tank and the biggest is about 3-3 1/2 inches and the smallest is about 2-2 1/2 inches
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? I use Jungle Start Right water conditioner (with aloe vera)
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? I have fed them Omega One natural protein formula protein enhanced goldfish flakes since I set up their tank in May. I feed them twice a day. However, as of yesterday, I have been feeding them peas (without the shell) because of the problems one is having as I will tell you later.
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? No
  • * Any medications added to the tank? Yes, I added API Fungus Cure into the tank for two consecutive treatments (as directed by the medication) and un-iodized salt (a teaspoon for every 5 gallons for one treatment, as I was told by a fish store).
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. I used API Fungus Cure for one full treatment (2 doses, as directed on box) from October 5th to October 7th. I used the medication exactly as directed. I also bought un-iodized salt (ingredients are salt and sodium silicoaluminate) to put a total of 4 teaspoons in it (as directed by a local fish store). That was only a one-time treatment since I wasn't aware of the directions for salt treatment.
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? I have noticed a weird thick white line on my goldfish's anal fin that I haven't noticed before (I could have just never noticed it before and it's always been there though). I also found black tips on one of my fish's fins (chemical burns from ammonia poisoning is what I found out from researching on the internet) but it is gone now (I corrected it with Tetra SafeStart with a one-time dose). However, the chemical burns did not show up on my smallest goldfish, the one that has been sick.
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? Yes, my smallest goldfish has been sitting at the bottom for about 2 months now (started mid-September). I noticed that she doesn't open her mouth to eat. I haven't seen her eat in this amount of time. She occasionally opens her mouth really wide, but other than that I never see her open her mouth. I tried the fungus cure because I researched extensively on the internet and most people said if they don't open their mouths then it is because they have mouth fungus. I tried the medicine, and she opened her mouth for the first time since I noticed her being sick, but she still wouldn't eat. She goes to the food every time I feed them like she wants to eat, but she can't open her mouth it seems. She sits at the bottom whenever I'm not in the room, but as soon as I come into the room, she comes toward me and gets excited still. Also, she had been putting her head above water repeatedly (but not gulping), but I have no noticed this behavior much the past week or so. About 3 nights ago, I noticed she was sitting on the bottom with her bottom up in the water. I knew this was usually attributed to swim bladder disease, but I am still a rookie at having goldfish (I've had them for a year now) so I don't know what is causing all these symptoms. I wanted to take her to the vet, but there are none in my state (Alabama), only surrounding states and I can't afford to travel that far. I've called Petsmart and fish stores and no one can tell me what's wrong with my fish. I'm extremely worried about her and I just want to know what her illness is where I can get her the correct medication so she can be well again. Also, I got both fish at the same time and they were both about the same size. Now she is much smaller than the other and I didn't think about it having something to do with illness until she started showing symptoms. I'm wondering how long this has been a problem. The fish are either comet or common goldfish, I'm not sure which. I can upload pictures of her anal fin and of her in general if anyone needs it. I'm sorry this has been such a long post. Thank you to anyone who can help me solve this mystery and give me advice on what to do!

First of all, welcome to Kokos!  We really appreciate a newbie who fills out our form!

Now you must read our guidelines for healthy goldfish.  As you read this, you will observe that we recommend more water volume per goldfish, more filtration, and much, much, more water change than you use.  Much of what ails your goldfish comes from poor water quality.

I consider this good news, because you can fix water quality just by changing water.  We don't want to shock your fish by doing a huge water change,  so I would like you to simply change 5 gallons of water a day for the next week.  You may see your fish perking up during this time.  Please don't use any medication without asking about it first.  All medications have side effects.

Please do obtain some praziquantel during this week.  I see some symptoms of flukes in your description, and praziquantel will help with this.

Also get some pure NaCl.  You can get  Mortons Canning and Pickling Salt in the grocery store, 100% NaCl and cheap!

Shakaho has said it way better than I could have tried!

You may also want to consider changing your water conditioner to Prime or Amquel+ if you can get your hands on those. 

Please don't be scared of moving to large water changes. You will soon find that many of us change over 75% (or as close to the bottom as we can get, leaving just enough room for the fish!) every week.

Welcome to Koko's, and good luck getting your fish back in shape! :)

Would it be possible for you to get a video of the fish that doesn't seem able to open its mouth?  S/he must be eating something or s/he wouldn't be alive.  :idont

Welcome to Kokos.  :D

Thank y'all for the welcoming! It's taken me forever to find a free goldfish forum like this where you can get advice and info. I will read the guidelines as soon as I post this response :) 

I will do the 5 gallons a day, as you suggested. I do have a question though: since it's mostly the poor water quality, why isn't it affecting my other goldfish the same way? Is it because my sick one is smaller that it affects her more? I'm just curious because I'm still really new to this.

Does it have to be a specific brand? I found some on amazon, but it has a different brand name. Would this work? http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004LOBGYA?keywords=praziquantel&qid=1447205767&ref_=sr_1_2&sr=8-2 

And thank each of you for your advice, I'm gonna take it and apply it to my fish :)

I've got a video, but I can't figure out how to post it on here. How do you do it?

The one that you linked to is perfect, there are a few types of meds using praziquantel but I this is the most commonly used one as far as i know. :)

You need to use a hosting site for pictures and videos. Imgur, photobucket, etc. For videos I use YouTube.

Some fish are more susceptible to the effects of poor water quality than others. It's like when my husband and I both get exposed to the same cold/flu/whatever . . .. He will get sick, I won't. :lol

Here's the video that fantailfan1 requested! I hope this helps.

And thank you, jenzaar :)

Edited by SarahLee7

Welcome! You are in good hands with the moderator team.

I don't know what you're referring to on her anal fin . . . can you hold her and get a pic or video of it?  Also if you lift her up out of the water does she open her mouth?  :idont

Welcome to Kokos!!!!! Hope your Goldfish feels better!!!!

I don't know what you're referring to on her anal fin . . . can you hold her and get a pic or video of it?  Also if you lift her up out of the water does she open her mouth?   :idont

I've never held my goldfish out of the water so I'm a little nervous to try, but I've watched one of the videos on this site about how to properly do so, so I will try using the info on the video. As far as her anal fin goes, it may just be like that on all goldfish, but I haven't noticed it until recently. I'll try to get a picture or video up tonight hopefully.

Also, I don't want to harm my fish, so are there any precautions I should take as to cleaning my hands before I touch my fish?

You'll want to make sure you thoroughly rinse any soap off of your hands before handling your fish.

You'll want to make sure you thoroughly rinse any soap off of your hands before handling your fish.

Thank you!!

I don't know what you're referring to on her anal fin . . . can you hold her and get a pic or video of it?  Also if you lift her up out of the water does she open her mouth?   :idont

\

Unfortunately, my phone has horrible quality on video and camera, so I wasn't able to get a clear picture on her anal fin. However, I got a video of me taking her out of the water and she doesn't gasp for air and move her mouth at all. Now I'm really starting to worry about her because that isn't normal behavior at all from what I've heard. Has anyone ever had this happen or is this very rare? I'm scared something is wrong with her mouth to where she can't open it.

Edited by SarahLee7

P.s- I'm sorry about how shaky the camera is. I was extremely nervous to hold her since this is the first time I've ever done that.

One more reply from me for now. I'm sorry about how many times I'm repeatedly posting :undecided:  I actually got a few pictures that aren't extremely blurry. I hope you can see what I'm talking about. It's a thick white line on the end of her anal fin that I haven't noticed until a few weeks ago.

http://s1040.photobucket.com/user/SarahLee7/media/Goldeen1_zpssqu0rpad.jpg.html?filters[user]=144270327&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=1

https://s1040.photobucket.com/user/SarahLee7/media/Goldeen2_zpshg7xefk0.jpg.html?filters[user]=144270327&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=0

Edited by SarahLee7

I don't have anything to add from an illness standpoint but must give you props for handling your goldfish.  It took me forever and some meditative calming exercises before I was comfortable handling my wiggly slimers.  You do what you gotta do, yunno?  Good job.

Regarding the white line on the anal fin, one of my goldfish has something like this--the white line is thicker than the rest of the fin. Given that your fish doesn't open its mouth, it maybe related and not anything like what my goldfish has.

I don't think the thicker ray is anything to worry about on the anal fin . . .

Has this fish ever been treated for flukes?  That would be my next step . . .

I don't think the thicker ray is anything to worry about on the anal fin . . .

Has this fish ever been treated for flukes?  That would be my next step . . .

I just got the medicine in today and I put a tad over one teaspoon into the filter as directed (one teaspoon treats 20 gallons and I have about 27 so I put a little over a teaspoon). It says the treatment lasts 5-7 days, and to repeat doses at most every 3 days. Do you have any suggestions on when to put another dose in? It's Prazipro medicine if that helps any. I took out the activated carbon as directed. Do I need to change the water during this time or leave it in there for a week without water changes? I'm sorry I've got so many questions, I've just never don't this sort of thing before and I want the medicine to be as effective as possible.

Here is a link about fluke treatment scheduling: http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/105076-schedules-for-the-treatment-of-flukes-etc-using-praziquantel/

I'm not a mod or official helper here, but there is some debate about using salt with PraziPro. Perhaps someone else could weigh in on this. 

I just got the medicine in today and I put a tad over one teaspoon into the filter as directed (one teaspoon treats 20 gallons and I have about 27 so I put a little over a teaspoon). It says the treatment lasts 5-7 days, and to repeat doses at most every 3 days. Do you have any suggestions on when to put another dose in? It's Prazipro medicine if that helps any. I took out the activated carbon as directed. Do I need to change the water during this time or leave it in there for a week without water changes? I'm sorry I've got so many questions, I've just never don't this sort of thing before and I want the medicine to be as effective as possible.

Do water changes as usual during the treatment, just add the appropriate amount of Prazipro to the new water.  

At the end of a week, do a large water change and redose prazi.  

Alternatively, at the end of the first week, you can do a large water change  and then add salt to 0.3 % (1 tablespoon per gallon) without adding more Prazipro.  Read topic #2 here  on how to add the salt.  (I prefer the method he added in edit.) After a week of salt bath to help heal the wounds left by dying flukes, you can do a large water change and give the second treatment with Prazipro.