Sign in to follow this  
lizam

Hikari PraziPro with salt? during quarantine

Response from Hikari:

Jared – Thank you for taking the time to contact us and for your support of our products.  Concentrations of salt above 0.20 ppm will cause the active ingredient to become ineffective. The salt used in a freshwater aquarium is different from that used in a marine tank.
The Hikari Customer Service Team

In other words, undetectable levels of salt will inactivate Prazipro.  Wow!  And who knew that seawater doesn't contain NaCl?  One doesn't expect the people they hire to answer telephones and e-mail to be experts,  but they should be expected to be able to read the answers to the FAQs.

Yeah, I don't know all the chemistry behind this particular product.  I just know that Hikari says not to use Prazipro with salt.  That's why I use Aqua Prazi.

I followed up with this:

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond.  I have one more question.  Some of our members have adopted the method of doubling the recommended dose of Prazipro when using it along with salt at 0.3% (1 Tablespoon of salt per gallon of water).  They feel that this compensates for the diminished efficacy of the praziquantel with salt.  Is this an effective strategy? 

Hikari's response to my second question (in red above):

"Not at all"

woah! I feel like my world has tipped over :o :o

not really :rofl but, whoops.

(and thank you for going into such depth with this and sleuthing/talking to people for more answers!)

After all this discussion, does anyone know what Lizam ended up doing or the results.  I am just a newby, but this is the 2nd thread I have read in the past couple months where this topic has been discussed at length and the end usage and results was not shared by the originator of the thread. Is it here and I am not able to view it?   

Edited by Bruce5

Ok... since writing my above... literally since I began writing it, one member checked in and explained she used salt with PraziPro and her fish are happy and healthy, too much to discuss here her exact dosage. Although this does not answer the final question of the efficacy of adding salt it does not show any adverse affects of its use with PraziPro.  I am just a reading and learning newby.  

Edited by Bruce5

We have been using salt with Prazipro for years -- many dozens of quarantines -- with no problems.  

Taryl  (Arctic Mama) has resolved this problem for us.  She talked on the telephone to a knowledgeable person (not a "first response" level person) at Hikari USA who told her that they recommended that Prazipro be used with no other medication, including salt, because they have never tested it with any other medication, and thus could not guarantee its effectiveness in combinations.  Furthermore they have no intention of testing Prazipro with any other medication.  

You can read what Taryl reported here starting with post #28.  Unless the man lied to her, they have no evidence that salt affects Prazipro negatively.  

I purchased another product (not Hikari ParaziPro) or the other recommended one and used it for my quarantine.  It did not work.  Unfortunately recently I have been dealing with flukes in both my goldfish tanks.  My favourite goldfish was bottom sitting (unusal for him and lethargic but no other signs).  I immediately started a flukes treatment with the expensive stuff I bought online.  Still my guy was bottom sitting.  I spent hours reading posts and looking at things online.  My heart was breaking.  I didn't realize that the expensive stuff I bought didn't work.  Now I do.   I started ParziPro (no salt) on Sunday and almost within an hour my favourite guy was moving around more and seeming like his old self.  He seems to be on the mend...I am very much hoping not to have to  post on the disease forum.  I really understand now how important doing Prazi treatments regularly are and buying products that are reliable are to the health of goldies.

What product did you use?  This information can help us.

It is ParziPond Plus that did not work for me.  

How long did you use the PraziPond Plus?

I looked it up online and found the second to last bullet point to be rather interesting . . . .

a8b1adc3c3c1c55b70f2d13942975485.jpg

So they say salt use with there product is fine . . . .

They recommended one week.  The two pearlscale got 1 week in quarantine (with salt) and then when they were added with two small others that I have had since April of last year (which received 4 rounds of prazipro & salt)  I did a second week with all of them (Parzipond & salt).  I may have dosed incorrectly with the PraziPond. That is possible.  I really try....Anyway those 4 seem to be all doing well now.  My concern is my favourite oranda, Elton, that I got from Rain Garden.  I have been loosing sleep over him...however he seems to be perking up  and more back to himself. :)

They do say salt is okay with their product.

How did you decide that the Prazipond Plus didn't work?  

I tried for hours yesterday to find reviews of this product to see if others had problems.  I couldn't find a single review.  I do find the claims for this product rather "snake oily".  They claim it is 40% more effective than plain prazi, but their only other active ingredient is synthetic vitamin B12, which does not appear to have any anti-fluke activity.  On the other hand, I see no reason that it shouldn't work.

All prazi products I have seen give instructions for one round.  We recommend a full 4 weeks of prazi during quarantine.  

I admit  that it may be my inexperience/lack of ability to use the product correctly.  This is quite probable.  I mention that.  It may work fine.   :idont It just didn't for me.  I couldn't find much about it either.   At present I am using PraziPro, with it's long track record of being pretty effective, which is also cheap and easy to get. And after using it for 3 days my favourite guy is pretty much back to his usual sweet self.  That's really what matters to me.  

No, I'm actually moving away from it as well.  I just bit the bullet and ordered the powdered praziquantel off eBay after disappointing results for a hefty price tag with Prazipro.  It's more convenient but really does seem less effective.  QandD had a nice discussion of this in her own tanks a few months back that I recommend reading.  It took me some experimenting but I won't be re-purchasing Hikari.